Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: ALLEGHENY COUNTY-SHERIFF BILL MULLEN

Quote Originally Posted by NineseveN View Post
    If the "gun owner vote" is ever going to mean something in this state, it's going to require that gun owners go to the polls and vote for the best candidate, you CANNOT hinge your hopes on them voting AGAINST someone like Mullen; many will just stay home or will vote for Mullen because the gun issue is a non-issue unless WE make it one. Ed Kress and those that endorsed him did little to really give gun owners enough inertia in the ol' firing pins to ignite the primers and send Mullen out with a whimper. It is not enough to say "we endorse Ed Kress", tell me WHY. Show me what he's said, give me a full magazine that I can show other gun owners where he truly stands on firearms issues and therefor persuade or inspire them to make it to the polls to check the box next to his name. All we had was a bunch of speculation initially, until some diligent gun owners contacted Mr. Kress and got the scoop, but that was too little, too late.

Whether or not those that didn't vote failed us is not an issue (they did), because in the end, we can cry about that all day, but Mullen is still Sheriff. And it's a shame because Kress would have likely been better on the LTCF issue and perhaps better as a whole in that role. I hope the numbers on the polls change drastically towards the final count, but hope in one hand...

I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion here, but that never stopped this Pinko before.

I voted for Mullen. Why? First, I'm not a single issue voter, never have been, never will be. Are my 2nd amendment rights important? You bet. The only qualification I have for my Sheriff, not a chance.

When I look at the Sheriff's responsibilities, I count 8 major areas of responsibility, of which firearms is one. I want someone who I know can handle the other seven.

I also personally questioned the motives of a "successful" attorney seeking an elected position that pays a giant $64k, at the "prime" of his career. 64k is a very respectable salary, but for an attorney? Admitedly money isn't the sole driver of people, but it is for many.

Also as stated above Kress did nothing to court PA firearm owners, a potentially very motivated constituency. Why is that?

Finally, as I've stated previously in another post, law enforcement experience was a very important factor in who I cast my vote for. Although many of the Sheriff's duties may be administrative, he is still a law enforcement officer leading and guiding other law enforcement officers. I'd rather have someone in the position with some experience to backup the badge.

Just another gun-toting liberal

"According to the General Social Science Survey, about 30% of people who describe themselves as Liberal own a handgun. That works out to about 8 million gun toting Liberals, and doesn't even include moderates or long-gun owning Liberals."

(Allegheny County)

What exactly are these 8 dutys of which 2A rights are one?

(Allegheny County)

Civil Process Division - Processing and docketing civil papers
    Crime Prevention
    Courtroom security
    Firearms
    Executing warrants
    Real Estate (Sheriff's Sale)
    Transporting prisoners
    Summons and other Writs

Just another gun-toting liberal

"According to the General Social Science Survey, about 30% of people who describe themselves as Liberal own a handgun. That works out to about 8 million gun toting Liberals, and doesn't even include moderates or long-gun owning Liberals."

(Allegheny County)

dont take this out of context. Because I see that argument start easily on these online forums. But I would put 2A right in two of those catagories by including it in with crime prevention.
    I do see your point on the rest. I just politely disagree with your desision. But thats the great thing about our system. We dont have to agree, and neither of us needs to be RIGHT in some sort of ultimate and definate way. We can have differences of opinion so long as we both respect the others right to a voice.

I think of the liberals still crying over G.W.B. with that "stole the election" crap and the conservatives still crying beacuse it was so damn unfair that Ross Perot "stole" so much of the republican vote that Clinton got into office. Like it was such an awful shame that some people had a canadate to vote for that they actually believed in that their guy didnt "win" the contest.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Favabean View Post
    I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion here, but that never stopped this Pinko before.

I voted for Mullen. Why? First, I'm not a single issue voter, never have been, never will be. Are my 2nd amendment rights important? You bet. The only qualification I have for my Sheriff, not a chance.

When I look at the Sheriff's responsibilities, I count 8 major areas of responsibility, of which firearms is one. I want someone who I know can handle the other seven.

I also personally questioned the motives of a "successful" attorney seeking an elected position that pays a giant $64k, at the "prime" of his career. 64k is a very respectable salary, but for an attorney? Admitedly money isn't the sole driver of people, but it is for many.

Also as stated above Kress did nothing to court PA firearm owners, a potentially very motivated constituency. Why is that?

Finally, as I've stated previously in another post, law enforcement experience was a very important factor in who I cast my vote for. Although many of the Sheriff's duties may be administrative, he is still a law enforcement officer leading and guiding other law enforcement officers. I'd rather have someone in the position with some experience to backup the badge.
    My thing is this, my ONLY interaction with the Sheriff's department is the firearms office, so that is what I take into account when voting for that office. So if the 1 thing I care about that Mullen has to do has been sooooo screwed up since he is in office, he gets no vote from me.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011