Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Gun Rights Convention in San Fran.????

I want your thoughts on this, because I'm having trouble grasping the logic of it. Also, it will continue a recent trend of SAF threads.

The Second Amendment Foundation (SAF, a.k.a. 2AF) is holding this year's gun rights conference in San Francisco. Yes, the San Francisco in California.

Quote Originally Posted by SAF
    The silver anniversary conference will be held at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport. Gun rights activists and leaders from across the nation will attend.
    I surfed over to the website to send a WTF? e-mail. Here's what I wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by me
    It boggles my mind that SAF picked San Francisco, of all
    places, to hold the Gun Rights Policy Conference. You'd
    likely get many more to attend if you picked a friendlier
    place. California may be a mecca for many things, including
    car design and electronics, but gun rights certainly ain't
    one of them.
    This is the response I got:
    Dear Sir:

It's unfortunate that the larger picture of protecting the Second Amendment was not automatically apparent in our decision to hold the GRPC in San Francisco, CA but I can certainly understand the confusion.

Having said that, I think the quote below from our founder Alan M. Gottlieb sums it up best.

"We need to take our battle to the enemy so to speak and expand the playing field. If we don't help our brothers and sisters in California we are not in the fight to win. I will not sit on my rights while others need my help. Get real and help save freedom. California here we come! And then on to Chicago, the belly of the beast in 2011!"

Thomas McKiddie
    Projects Director
    SAF
    And then from a recent SAF e-mail newsletter
    "We take this annual conference around the country," Gottlieb said, "to areas where our rights might be threatened. We're holding it in San Francisco this year because SAF was successful in overturning the city's 2005 handgun ban. Next year, we're holding it in Chicago, where SAF's lawsuit in McDonald v. City of Chicago led to the Supreme Court's ruling in June that applies the Second Amendment to the states.
    Sorry it still seems retar. . . It still seems dumb to hold a gun rights conference in a state/city that you'd think hardcore gun rights activists wouldn't want to get near. But maybe it's just me.

The thought of the headlines on local newspapers, reading something like, "Gun Nut Extremists Invade San Francisco!!", or "Gun Rights Extremists Here To Rub Out Noses in Handgun Ban Lawsuit Loss!" does bring a little bit of a smirk to my face, but otherwise trying to figure it out is making my head hurt.

A couple years ago, I guess, NRA had a convention in Wisconsin. Didn't get it then. Still don't get it.
    Last edited by Suburban; September 1st, 2010 at 01:39 AM.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Gun Rights Convention in San Fran.????

I think it's a great idea. Everyone's not anti-gun out there. Doing things like this will just encourage those people that they are not alone. I lived in Massachusetts for awhile and you get conditioned not to even bother fighting for your rights because it seems like a lost cause. Also, you may just change some minds the anti's as they see that pro-gun people are normal after all.

I too think the venue city is a good choice. Why not take the fight to the enemy? Though I do realize not every Californian is anti. I have a brother living there that is a competitive shooter. It's the places with the most restictions to rights that should be targeted for such a conference. First, your letting those still in the fight in those areas that they are recognized and help is on it's way, secondly we just might foster some thinking by those who have forgotten about their rights. Surely a gun conference in SF is going to create some debate. Since we don't need to worry about gun owners "seeing the light" of the antis the only thing that will come of it is maybe some antis grasping the concept and realizing the true nature of gunownership and it's relevence to American independence. No, I don't mean the 4th of July but rather our concept of protecting freedom. Add to that the sporting aspects of firearms and we just might win over a few converts.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Lackawanna County)

That oughtta go over like a Lambda/Rainbow Coalition convention in Tehran.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

Great idea....spend tons of money in hotels, restaurants etc. in an area where 3/4 of the people hate you.

Why not Arizona??????

Quote Originally Posted by thanker92 View Post
    Great idea....spend tons of money in hotels, restaurants etc. in an area where 3/4 of the people hate you.

Why not Arizona??????
    Because we'd be preaching to the choir in Arizona. Put the matter right in their faces and let it be known we're not backing down, not giving up and willing to fight on their ground. We have a superior, (sorta) Consititutionally backed stand and should put it where it's needed most. Yeah, I can't say I like the idea of leaving our money there but I see it as an offset to the potential ground we'll gain.

I do see your point too, leave our money where they are happy to have us and show our support for their support. But for the message to get to the people who have been brainwashed the most we have to take it to them.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

98% of the population in any area has absolutely NO idea who is holding a convention in their area and cares even less. Just about the only thing any convention does is boost the local economy. {They should hold it in NYC if they want to be in "enemy territory"}

(York County)

I get the hold in a non gun friendly area to protest and push the point, but with SF being the left of the left mecca, read Nancy Polosi home turf. I would not give that area my money and an economic boost.
    With the economy the way it is I would have gone to Arizona, since the left is boycotting the state over it immigration laws and pressuring others to do so, and with AZ having advance gun rights recently, what a better way to say thank you and keep up the fight than bring the convention and it dollars to Az, Just my perspective
    RIP -The US constitution.

(Allegheny County)

this has to be sending pelosi's blood pressure through the roof.

based on that alone, i say...great idea!
    F*S=k

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    Yeah, I can't say I like the idea of leaving our money there but I see it as an offset to the potential ground we'll gain.

I do see your point too, leave our money where they are happy to have us and show our support for their support. But for the message to get to the people who have been brainwashed the most we have to take it to them.
    I don't really buy it.

I don't think the people in SF will get it. The lefty whacko types that'll be out there protesting it don't respond to logic. Surely you've experienced some of it before. You can talk about the gun rights roots of the 2nd Amendment in the Federalist Papers, and how gun crime skyrocketed in the U.K. after the gun bans, and they come back at you with, "Yeah, but dummy, there were no assault weapons when they wrote the Bill of Rights, and if we banned all the guns and put an end to the gun culture, there'd be so much less violence and accidents. It's so obvious!"

Now I know they're not all lefty whackos in CA, there're people working for Guns and American Handgunner out there and there's ErSwnn's brother, but SF is the nation's capital of leftist lunacy.

Maybe I don't understand the point of the conference. Is it to try to convert people to our side, or is it to gather gun rights activists for a sort of pep rally, and discuss the (figurative) modes of attack for the upcoming election and 2011. I'm pretty sure it's the latter, but I could be wrong.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast