Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Question Getting used to OC...

Hi all,
    Thanks to all for writing here... love this place.

I started shooting about 6 months ago. As soon as I got my cc permit I started (most of the time) cc'ing. I am experimenting with OC and find that it takes getting used to. I feel like I am... naked... exposed... imposing on others... calling attention to myself....

Did you all go through this? how did you deal?

Also: I see mentioned in several threads a pamphlet about OC that some of you carry to give to others. Where is this pamphlet to be found?

Thanks.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Getting used to OC...

If you go to the top of the OC Forum and look at the stickied thread http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...re-you-do.html and look at item three on the list near the top you will find this link:

http://paopencarry.org/pdfs/Pennsylvania_Gun_Rights.pdf
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Monroe County)

The Flyer can be found here: http://paopencarry.org/pdfs/Pennsylvania_Gun_Rights.pdf

also, read this thread...about a million times: http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...re-you-do.html

basically, the trick to OC is the same as the trick to CC: don't focus on the gun. Most people don't notice (or pretend not to, same difference to you), and the ones that do are usually polite.

If it helps, i actually feel slightly dishonest on the occasions i CC, because i feel like i'm hiding things from people.

ETA: falcn beat me to it.

Also, seeing as you're in tobyhanna, keep an eye out for me
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

(Monroe County)

It's definately a liberating experience. There is a sense of being vulnerable, and exposed. Which stems from knowing that you've allowed everyone in your presence to see that you are armed, nothing more, nothing less. Much like how you felt when you started CC'ing, eventually it will feel as normal as putting your pants on each morning.

As you go about your day it will become apparent that almost nobody will notice that you are OC'ing, and the few that do will likely just form a quizzical expression. One of the things I like about OC'ing is that the opportunity to educate people about their rights, gun laws, and give them a little taste of freedom can happen at any time, any place. I find most of the people who ask me about my gun when I'm out are sincere and have had an interest for a long time, just nowhere to go for the information they need.

On the other side of the coin, there are instances where you may regret open carrying. For one, a bad police encounter could end up with you being hassled by the police(though most police these days know the legality of open carry). You might be asked to leave a store or a restaurant for open carrying(though this has never happened to me, and we live in the same area), and you might have a negative encounter with another citizen. The possibility does exist, that a scumbag might try and disarm you(I think there is only one known incident of this happening with 10's of thousands of OC'ers nation wide).

You should learn how to handle each situation appropriately. Learn what you do and don't have to say and do during a police encounter. Think of some responses or actions you might take if an angry citizen gets in your face and tries "calling you out", and something that is very important is trying to get hand to hand and retention training so you have a good chance at retaining your weapon during a disarm.

Out here, I've been OC'ing for 2 and 1/2 years and I've never had a bad encounter with the police. It seems most of them know the law, but that doesn't mean it will go that way for you. Other local pafoa users -have- had negative encounters, multiple times. I have had all kinds of scumbags attempt to verbalize their disdain with me carrying, and some have even attempted to taunt me into a physical confrontation. These are just some things to be aware of. Just two days ago in blakeslee at the sunoco gas station some guy cursed me out and called me a "fuckin tough guy" for carrying a gun. I'll post the link for you. http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...s-station.html
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Just two days ago in blakeslee at the sunoco gas station some guy cursed me out and called me a "fuckin tough guy" for carrying a gun. I'll post the link for you. http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...s-station.html
    i just realized: you were in blakeslee and didn't say hi.
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by MischaBurns View Post
    If it helps, i actually feel slightly dishonest on the occasions i CC, because i feel like i'm hiding things from people.
    Agreed. I started open carrying before I even had my LTCF. I always have the thought in my head, "wow I'm carrying a gun and none of these people even know that". I don't know if it's a feeling of dishonesty, but it's a disingenuous presentation of my character when I meet people and I'm CC'ing.
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by MischaBurns View Post
    i just realized: you were in blakeslee and didn't say hi.
    I thought you work in east straadsburg?

(Monroe County)

Smile Re: Getting used to OC...

Thanks for the links.

It did take used to cc'ing... first week or two I felt like I had a lead weight on my hip... now I barely notice it. I remember also thinking that everyone would see the outline under my shirt... no one ever did (or at least did not comment).

I guess the same will eventually be true with OC.

One of the things I am still turning over in my mind is "Why do I want to OC?" Until I can answer this confidently I will not be at ease.
    In the meantime I keep reading and practicing.
    I m sure that at some point we will see each other at some range or other....

Thanks again for all your info and stories...

Best Regards,
    BC

(Monroe County)

"why do i want to OC?"

for me, i get lazy and dont feel like putting on a pancake holster or IWB holster, and then sit there and think about it printing badly. so i just lock it up in a good holster and flop a shirt behind it. that and now that ive been doing the OC thing for a year or more, im comfortable knowing that no one really notices or cares.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    I thought you work in east straadsburg?
    nah, my girl lives and works in eastburg. I work in the bike shop next to the blakeslee wawa.
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast