Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Ideas for a Speech on gun control to a bunch of ANTIS

Hi Everyone,

I have a college course where we are required to give a five minute persuasive speech on a topic we are "passionate" about. Naturally the first and pretty much only thing that came to my mind was to educate these people on the inadequacies of gun control. Now I admit only a small amount of research is neccesary to reveal plenty of information to fill a 5 minute speech. With that said I was opening this thread up to see if any of you guys far more knowleadgeable than myself have anything to add (i.e. eye opening statistics, great topics, relative anecdotes). I know this is a hot topic around here, so here is everyone's chance to put their knowledge to good use. The floor is yours, and thanks in advance for any contributions.

-Logan

P.S. I knew this was the proper topic when the professor went around the class asking everyone what their topic would be. I said "gun control" and she said in an assuming manor "in favor of?", to which I replied "against". At that moment pretty much the entire class turned around to have a look in my direction. Should be fun!

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Ideas for a Speech on gun control to a bunch of ANTIS

Do a quick search of the forums, look for a thread called, "how would you answer this gun control argument?" One of the more knowledgeable members posted quite a LONG post I found moving to the point I copied it and pasted it onto a .doc in a jump drive I carry just about anywhere....

Found it....
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/question-...-argument.html

(Snyder County)

If you want to make it even more controversial, talk about the gun control on college campuses. You can get to the passionate sides of people with the VT shooting and illustrate how disarming the students allowded for this to happen because the shooter knew that no one would have a gun. You would never do something like this at a PAFOA shoot.

(Allegheny County)

In 5 minutes to college students, I'd probably go primarily for the personal safety/practical angle rather than the constitution angle. Look up research by FSU criminologist Gary Kleck--he's shown that there are as many as 2 million defensive gun uses per year. I believe he also studied the most effective response to attack--response with a deadly weapon beat all the alternatives (response with a non-deadly weapon, running, and non-resistance). Finally a study or two on how concealed carry permit holders are as law-abiding as police officers (I believe that Florida's CCW holders were studied; can't remember the author). Don't forget the CDC's evidence that ten times as many kids drown in swimming pools and bathtubs than die from accidental gun shots. Use anecdotes to demonstrate that real people are protecting themselves without bringing risk to others.

I'd stay away from the genocide argument, since the sheeple don't see that as a domestic threat. People in college for some inexplicable reason trust in the government's general benevolence. It'd be a hard argument to make to such a crowd.

Remember though that most anti-gun folks are emotionally attached to their positions (guns are scary!) and thus aren't going to be persuaded by your arguments from fact and logic. If possible, offer to take anyone to the range with you so that they can get first hand experience.

Good luck!

(Montgomery County)

Look for stats on how many crimes were committed with a full-auto that was legally owned. Should suprise some kids that people don't go nuts just because they have a "machine gun".

Be logical, and controlled. Most classes like that will have a chance for your audience to ask you some qustions. Stay controlled in the face of an idiot (I am sure there is one in your class, lol).

Do you carry? Maybe wear an empty holster just to get their attention?

Good luck man!

(Berks County)

Take a look here:
    http://www.gunfacts.info/

Download the PDF and read; lots of great information, all backed up with credible citations.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Chester County)

May I ask what college you are attending? I may be taking a public speaking class next semester at Delaware County Community College and I was wondering (actually hoping) if I would have the oppurtunity to give an anti gun control speech as well.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Log9mm View Post

. . . a five minute persuasive speech . . . . to educate these people on the inadequacies of gun control.

Now I admit only a small amount of research is neccesary to reveal plenty of information to fill a 5 minute speech.
    Lately, I've been wondering if logic and/or information really convinces anybody of anything.

First off, I think you should decide whether you are trying to convert the unenlightened or you are trying to pass the class. There appears to be some evidence in your post to suggest that these two goals may be mutually exclusive. Something else to consider is that using humor will keep people listening, even to a point of view that they may ultimately disagree with.

I believe that keeping the audience entertained . . . errr um cough, I mean engaged . . . is referred to as "facilitating dialog" and from what I can gather, it is very trendy amongst college instructors these days.

Consider this YouTube video as an example.

It makes the point about the absurdity of gun free zones without being preachy and possibly losing the audience. Always keep in mind that it takes some people longer than others to see the light and it's a sad and unavoidable fact of life that many never do. Of course if you're ever in the position of preaching to the choir, be sure to sing out loud and clear.

It's often been said that one of the secrets to life is to always know who your audience is.
    Vortex

"The United States is a nation of laws, . . . . badly written and randomly enforced." - generally attributed to Frank Zappa

(Cambria County)

Here is something that was pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_YTM_eAWnQ
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Slingshot Engaged View Post
    May I ask what college you are attending? I may be taking a public speaking class next semester at Delaware County Community College and I was wondering (actually hoping) if I would have the oppurtunity to give an anti gun control speech as well.
    I would prefer not to say as I have mentioned on this forum that I carry on campus. I don't think anything would come of my stating which college I attend, but I am there on athletic scholarship and it simply is not worth the risk. With that said I have taken two public speaking courses in college, and both them required a persuasive speech on a topic of your choice. The advanced one even required a single topic in which you gave 4 different types of speeches on, which I think is the new format of public speaking classes these days. So you should get your chance.

As far as everyone else your help has been great. My only problem is I'm going to wish this speech was 10 minutes with all the information I'm going to want to give. You guys have given me a lot of great resources and ideas and for that I am very thankfull. Keep it coming!

Thanks again,

Logan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast