Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PA Deer hunting not much change NC better

PA Deer hunting not much change in the last (15) years since I relocated to North Carolina. Here in the North Western section we are allowed (6) deer per tag. One may take (2) deer per day. The limitation is of the (6) allowed only (2) Bucks and the remaining (4) Doe. Take (6) on your tag then go purchase another tag. A fellow up the mountain took (12) deer last season. This area is loaded with deer.
    Last edited by hangingrock; August 30th, 2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: spelling

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: PA Deer hunting not much change NC better

I lived in NC for 18 months while on active duty...Here is my opinion on deer hunting in that state...

State game lands are very small areas compared to PA..They were also far and few between..We would drive for several hours just to hunt on small patches...In PA we have thousands and thousands of acres to hunt on which are open to the public..

Luckily I was allowed to hunt on FT Bragg..It was also a larger area than the few state game lands within 2-3 hours from Pope AFB..

The first time I saw deer walking through the woods I had to do a double take..They were about the size of a German shepard with long legs..My first thought was, I'm glad I have six tags..One nice thing,,you could drag two at a time..Try that up here with our deer..

Not to bicker back and forth but I wouldn't say your state is better...I wasn't impressed with the state game lands or the small deer..I did like the "sportsman licence" your state offers..It was $40.00 for resident or active duty and covered every licence NC had to offer..That was cool...

Our game commision is a little on the greedy side..Our resident prices are much higher if you want everything..

Both states have good points and bad..I wouldn't say one was better,,just different..Take care and good luck with the up and coming season...

Rich

HAHA.... My venison comes out of MD..........

20+ per season.........

(York County)

+1 to that, living close the the line has its advantages. Over 20 deer in Md, + another 7 for Aberdeen Proving Grounds, and 4 in PA, I might kill 2
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Butler County)

[QUOTE=hangingrock;1320982]PA Deer hunting not much change in the last (15) years since I relocated to North Carolina. Here in the North Western section we are allowed (6) deer per tag. One may take (2) deer per day. The limitation is of the (6) allowed only (2) Bucks and the remaining (4) Doe. Take (6) on your tag then go purchase another tag. A fellow up the mountain took (12) deer last season. This area is loaded with deer.[/QUOTE]

May I ask - what area is that? I'm considering moving to the RDU area..

Quote Originally Posted by rich e View Post
    I lived in NC for 18 months while on active duty...Here is my opinion on deer hunting in that state...Rich
    The problem is you only hunted one section of the state adjacent to Fort Bragg. As a native Pennsylvanian as in Western Pennsylvania I can judge deer size with a certain degree of accuracy . In North Western North Carolina the deer are accentually the same size as I’ve taken in Pennsylvania and Northern West (By God) Virginia.

As for property yes most of it is private land but most land owners let individuals hunt or lease property to hunting groups. My property is open to hunting and that of my neighbors. We do limit the number of hunters out of safety concerns.

[QUOTE=Jrkotz;1321787 May I ask - what area is that? I'm considering moving to the RDU area..[/QUOTE]

The North-Western hunting section is comprised of (14) counties as far north as Allegany, far south as Gaston, Far west as Watauga, and as far east as Forsyth. From RDU to Winston-Salem in Forsyth County would be approximately (2) hours. My location would be approximately 2-1/2 hours from RDC going North-West. Check out www.ncwildlife.org .

Quote Originally Posted by hangingrock View Post
    This area is loaded with deer.
    Yeah but they are the size of dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by rich e View Post

Luckily I was allowed to hunt on FT Bragg..It was also a larger area than the few state game lands within 2-3 hours from Pope AFB..

Rich
    I used to hunt on Lejeune when I was in. It wasnt too bad, the deer tended to be a bit larger on base than out in town. But no rifle, seasons were short, had to check in with the game warden every morning before you went out, and every evening when you came back. Had to compete for the few good places to hunt with not only other hunters, but with units training in these areas (dont get me wrong folks out training to kill people and blow stuff up should come before hunters, but it was a PITA), had to be either in a blind or stand. No stalking your deer (not that you really could anyway, never any snow). Hell you couldn't even shoot one if you saw it while going to your stand. And even though they were a little larger on base they were still smaller than my dog. Beginning of October it would get cold for about a week, then heat up and wouldn't get cold again until about a week after the seasons close. Every year for the decade and change Ive been down here). Then wouldn't get cold till two weeks after the season ended. What does this mean? You get a partial rut, and the deer are so hot they refuse to move during the day. As ya cant stalk or hunt on the move you are fucked.

Yeah great hunting down here in NC.

Ever seen a jackalope rack? Yeah thats what they look like down here. Hell last year I took one of their "Big" 8 pointers with my M92 lever gun with HC lead .38 specials.
    "Kicking the darkness until it bleeds light."

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Marine99 View Post
    Yeah great hunting down here in NC.
    In my time in the Old Corps when they still issued serials numbers it wasn’t uncommon to see deer on certain training ranges at Lejeune/ITR-Geiger.

Like I said to the other respondent you’re basing assumptions on the area that you hunted. The hunters that I allow on the property took a total of (27) deer last hunting season. There were several six & eight point bucks taken along with one twelve point. You’ll have to excuse me for this observation but that twelve point buck wasn’t dog size. When one makes assumptions based on limited experience it tends to show.

Quote Originally Posted by hangingrock View Post
    In my time in the Old Corps when they still issued serials numbers it wasn’t uncommon to see deer on certain training ranges at Lejeune/ITR-Geiger.

Like I said to the other respondent you’re basing assumptions on the area that you hunted. The hunters that I allow on the property took a total of (27) deer last hunting season. There were several six & eight point bucks taken along with one twelve point. You’ll have to excuse me for this observation but that twelve point buck wasn’t dog size. When one makes assumptions based on limited experience it tends to show.
    Oh don't get me wrong. What they lack in size they make up for in numbers. But honestly hunting deer down here reminds me of hunting deer on the IAAP plant back home in Iowa. They damn near move in herds. Its like hunting cattle.

And six or eight point bucks are a plenty down here in my neck of the woods. But to give folks an idea of what the racks look like. Spread your fingers and curl them then press your palms together. Thats about what they look like.

Now once again don't get me wrong. Im not in it for the racks, or only the meat. Im in it mainly for the hunt, and hunting cattle is not appealing to me anymore .

Semper Gumby man.
    Last edited by Former_Marine99; August 31st, 2010 at 06:47 PM.
    "Kicking the darkness until it bleeds light."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast