Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope for AR?

(Allegheny County)

Default Scope for AR?

I put together my first AR15 using a BCM 18" upper with the 1:7 twist.

I want to shoot this between 100 and 600 yards. I'll be using 75gr match grade ammo. Hopefully this rifle will only be for range use and never brought into service, but you never know, so reliability and ruggedness is also important.

I'm considering the Leupold Mark AR 6-18x40mm.

Is this a solid optic that could hold up to some rough treatment?

Oh I forgot to state that I don't know anything about scopes as I have never owned one. Shot some of my friends scoped rifles, but not very often.
    Last edited by DaveM55; August 29th, 2010 at 09:35 AM.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Default Re: Scope for AR?

The Leupold is a good choice. I have a Vari-X III 3.5-10 on my DPMS .308 Oracle. I have Leupolds on all my scoped rifles. I've been using them for years & have never had a problem with any of them.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Lehigh County)

Leupold makes a solid scope with a good warranty and customer service to back it up. That being said, for the features and glass quality you get, most Leupold scopes are overpriced (without some sort of really good sale / deal) if you buy them new from major retailers. While the Leupold is no S&B or Nightforce, it shouldn't fall apart on it's own accord. They are generally fairly tough products.

My personal opinion about that scope specifically:
    1. 6-18x is probably too high of magnification for 100-600 yards on the low end (IE: I would personally prefer something with a 2.5-4x bottom end.
    2. 55 MOA of elevation / windage (according to the midway site) is a bit weak.
    3. 40mm is really pusing it with an 18x top end.

This being said, I don't think the mark AR is a particullarly bad scope... however, I don't think that model is worth $500 when compared to offerings on the market from vortex, supersniper, wonders optics, heck even weaver.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PSUfan1 View Post
    Leupold makes a solid scope with a good warranty and customer service to back it up. That being said, for the features and glass quality you get, most Leupold scopes are overpriced (without some sort of really good sale / deal) if you buy them new from major retailers. While the Leupold is no S&B or Nightforce, it shouldn't fall apart on it's own accord. They are generally fairly tough products.

My personal opinion about that scope specifically:
    1. 6-18x is probably too high of magnification for 100-600 yards on the low end (IE: I would personally prefer something with a 2.5-4x bottom end.
    2. 55 MOA of elevation / windage (according to the midway site) is a bit weak.
    3. 40mm is really pusing it with an 18x top end.

This being said, I don't think the mark AR is a particullarly bad scope... however, I don't think that model is worth $500 when compared to offerings on the market from vortex, supersniper, wonders optics, heck even weaver.
    So which one of these would you choose for an AR15?

3-9x40mm
    4-12x40mm
    6-18x40mm
    4.5-14x40mm
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)

what is your price range?
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    So which one of these would you choose for an AR15?

3-9x40mm
    4-12x40mm
    6-18x40mm
    4.5-14x40mm
    At 600 yards you want more FOV and more light transmission than you're going to get from any of those scopes. I'd go with a 50mm for serious work, and get rings with a pic rail to mount a small red dot for social work at closer ranges: http://tnvc.com/categories/weapon_mounts_rings.html

(Lebanon County)

I'm with the OP on this question. I want to put a stout tactical scope with a quick detachable mount on my M-4.

I've got an Aimpoint CompML2 with the A.R.M.S. mount now, and I'd like to have a fast scope to do some reaching out.

If I had $1,500 laying around, I'd get the ACOG and be done with it. But...

I've heard lots of good things about LaRue mounts in other threads, I just need some nudging towards a specific scope, hopefully in the $500 or less bracket.

The Leupold that the OP asked about ranks high on my list as well, I just wish they made one with Illumm'ed reticals

I kinda like the Illumm'ed Circle Dot myself...
    Political Correctness is the idea that you can pick up a Turd by the Clean End.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Wrench View Post
    I'm with the OP on this question. I want to put a stout tactical scope with a quick detachable mount on my M-4.

I've got an Aimpoint CompML2 with the A.R.M.S. mount now, and I'd like to have a fast scope to do some reaching out.

If I had $1,500 laying around, I'd get the ACOG and be done with it. But...

I've heard lots of good things about LaRue mounts in other threads, I just need some nudging towards a specific scope, hopefully in the $500 or less bracket.

The Leupold that the OP asked about ranks high on my list as well, I just wish they made one with Illumm'ed reticals

I kinda like the Illumm'ed Circle Dot myself...
    The circle dot is fine for three gun competitions where you're counting on a certain known range variable and can drop the round in a circle on the same target from 25 yards out to 300. But I imagine that the OP wants something that will let him calculate distance to unknown objects by size quesstimation and the use of the mildot ranging system, which would then give him turret corrections or the holdover for a faster shot. For that, the circle dot is less than useless.

(Allegheny County)

I wanted a scope to start learning some medium to long distance shooting.
    I've shot friends rifles with scopes, but never owned one myself.
    I took this new setup out yesterday and sighted it in at 100 yards.
    It was learning experience, just what I wanted.
    I'm taking it again today.

Here's what I ordered.

A Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical Rifle Scope 10x 40mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments Mil-Dot Reticle Matte.

And for the mount a AR-P.E.P.R scope mount 1'' w/picatinny tops-matte, which gives excellent eye relief.

Also ordered some flip-up covers.
    Last edited by DaveM55; September 5th, 2010 at 08:31 AM.

Excellent choices. They're both good for learning on and it won't break the bank to do so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast