Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Arrow Concealed Carry Purse

Hey all. My g/f lives in Philly. It's a nice neighborhood, but as we know that doesn't mean anything most the time. She carries a taser which I find better than nothing. Her father is very adamant about her carrying it, especially IF she has to go anywhere at night.

Now here's my question - I've noticed a lot of girls take their time, fumbling for their keys in their purse as they get to their doors. This seems to be an issue and a vulnerable time for a predator to try something. This is what happened to Sabina O'Donnell http://www.philly.com/inquirer/front...#axzz0pou3bYyK

Police believe the killer approached O'Donnell in front of her house, then dragged her to a lot on Orianna Street, about a half-block off Girard.
    Though she has a taser and is trained in kickboxing and other self defense scenario's, I don't want my g/f to be at risk for this type of attack. Are there any CC type purses out there where she can have easy access to her taser and easy access to her keys in two external pockets? If so, any recommendations from the women here who have tried them - or the men who have women in their lives who have tried them? I really appreciate the information as this, to me, is vital in keeping my g/f as safe as possible. Thank you.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Concealed Carry Purse

Quote Originally Posted by PAFirefighter11 View Post
    Hey all. My g/f lives in Philly. It's a nice neighborhood, but as we know that doesn't mean anything most the time. She carries a taser which I find better than nothing. Her father is very adamant about her carrying it, especially IF she has to go anywhere at night.

Now here's my question - I've noticed a lot of girls take their time, fumbling for their keys in their purse as they get to their doors. This seems to be an issue and a vulnerable time for a predator to try something. This is what happened to Sabina O'Donnell http://www.philly.com/inquirer/front...#axzz0pou3bYyK

Though she has a taser and is trained in kickboxing and other self defense scenario's, I don't want my g/f to be at risk for this type of attack. Are there any CC type purses out there where she can have easy access to her taser and easy access to her keys in two external pockets? If so, any recommendations from the women here who have tried them - or the men who have women in their lives who have tried them? I really appreciate the information as this, to me, is vital in keeping my g/f as safe as possible. Thank you.
    It is a summary offense to possess a taser in Philadelphia

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/NoHiCapChemSpray.pdf
    Last edited by Philbert; August 29th, 2010 at 01:31 AM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    It is a summary offense to possess a taser in Philadelphia

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/NoHiCapChemSpray.pdf
    Thanks but that wasn't the question. Plus, I don't think it's a "taser", it may be considered a stun gun - I dunno proper terminology. It doesn't expel a projectile if that makes sense.

P.S.

Philadelphia City Ordinance. Statute 10-825 Stun Guns. (1) Definitions. (a) Stun Gun. Any device which expels or projects a projectile which, upon coming in contact with a person, is capable of inflicting injury or an electric shock to such person. (2) Prohibited conduct. Nor person shall own, use, possess, sell or otherwise transfer any "stun gun." (3) Penalty. Any person violating any provision of this section shall be subject to a fine or not more than three hundred (300) dollars and /or imprisonment for not more than ninety (90 days.)
    Last edited by Gangle; August 29th, 2010 at 01:37 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAFirefighter11 View Post
    Thanks but that wasn't the question. Plus, I don't think it's a "taser", it may be considered a stun gun - I dunno proper terminology. It doesn't expel a projectile if that makes sense.

P.S.
    If it does not expel a projectile then you may be OK, by my reading, but IANAL. Taser is a brand name, if that's not what you mean then there may be no problem. The statute has the usual Philadelphia sweeping definition that doesn't make sense, but it seems to be talking about tasers:

§ 10-825. Stun Guns. 194

(1) Definitions.

(a) Stun Gun. Any device which expels or projects a projectile which, upon coming in contact with a person, is capable of inflicting injury or an electric shock to such person.

(2) Prohibited Conduct. No person shall own, use, possess, sell or otherwise transfer any "stun gun".

(3) Penalty. Any person violating any provision of this Section shall be subject to a fine of not more than three hundred (300) dollars and/or imprisonment for not more than ninety (90) days.

(Butler County)

My sister's purse has a separate pocket. It's padded, reinforced and will even lock. Not sure where she got it other then ordered online. When she got it she commented it was even the same purse style she usualy carries.

Ran a search "conceal carry purse" and a ton of sites came up.
    Last edited by DonM55; August 29th, 2010 at 01:54 AM.

(Chester County)

Thanks guys!

I am more looking for personal experience. I can look on the web all day for sites that sell 'em, but I wanted to talk to people here who may have used/know someone who has one of these types of purses. I appreciate the info so far

(Butler County)

Sister just emailed me. She realy likes her Jessica Slim tote Conceal Carry Handbag she got from the NRA store. Cost $180.00

(Monroe County)

I know of a couple women who use those conceal carry purses, however I would not recommend OFF BODY carry as your firearm/defensive weapon is not on your person which would make it easier to access should you need it. Now back to the topic at hand-

The couple women I know that use them like them and dont have any problems with them except that its off body carry. Other than that they like them when on body carry is not for whatever reason possible. I would however recommend that she carry on her person rather than in a bag (think of a situation like a purse snatcher turned abductor/rapist or the attacker knocks the purse out of her grasp)

Just my input and points of view,
    ~Steve

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    If it does not expel a projectile then you may be OK, by my reading, but IANAL. Taser is a brand name, if that's not what you mean then there may be no problem. The statute has the usual Philadelphia sweeping definition that doesn't make sense, but it seems to be talking about tasers:
    The Philadelphia City Ordinance specifically mentions projectiles, but the state statute does not have this limitation:

18 Pa.C.S. § 908: Prohibited offensive weapons

(a) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if, except as authorized by law, he makes repairs, sells, or otherwise deals in, uses, or possesses any offensive weapon.
    (c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    "Offensive weapons." Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.
    IANAL, YMMV, etc.

Regarding the purse... I think it's a bad idea personally. We often talk about the merits of easy access to a holster or how carrying without 1 in the chamber could very well require additional time or physical facilities that may not be possible in a situation where the firearm would be needed. A purse is far more complicated in this respect. Not only do you have a purse that would probably be difficult to maintain control of in a situation where a stun gun would be useful (if it were lawful, from my non-lawyer reading of the statute, it's not), but you don't have quick and easy access to it. Furthermore, I'd also bet that it would require two hands to get the stun gun out of the compartment. That being said, carrying a stun gun in a purse is easier to access than a stun gun at home.

(Philadelphia County)

I just purchased this beautiful Gun Tote'n Mamas Black Tote from Sportco.com. It was $95.00, which was $35.00 less than purchasing directly from Gun Tote'n Mamas directly. The reason I shopped around was due to the fact that something was wrong with GTM's site, and I got a very good deal. I am enclosing pics of my new purse with my SR9C (with the 17 bullet Mag). It fits in very well in to the holster that comes with the bag. Also is enclosed the link for Sportco.com.

http://www.sportco.com/store/pc/Gun-...-604p64090.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast