Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default "Isn't that supposed to be concealed?"

I was out on the motorcycle today. At one point a guy on a Harley ends up behind me. I pull up to a red light, I'm in the left portion of the lane. I look over to my right (strong side) and see his front fender almost even with my shoulder. I look back, give him a nod, and turn back to look at the light. It turns green, but we are coming into bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic. Every time traffic would stop, it seemed he would stop a little further up next to me than he did the last time. Eventually, he stops almost right next to me. I look over and see he's looking at my hip, then he sees I'm looking at him.

Him- "Isn't that supposed to be concealed?" (**said with a slight grin on his face**)

Me- "Nope, it doesn't need to be"

Him- "No???"

Me- "Not in this state"

Traffic rolls forward 10 yards or so, we stop again. He's nearly right next to me again. I reach into the breast pocket of my riding jacket, pull out a flyer and hand to him.

Me- "Here, it's a little wrinkled, but it has some good info in it." He looks at me like I have two heads for a second while I'm holding the flyer out for him to take. He takes it, and looks at it for a second.

Him- "Do you want this back?"

Me- "No, you can keep it, I have more."

Him- "Cool." He sticks it in his back pocket.

Traffic rolls forward again, and stops. He now stops a little further behind me. I guess at this point his curiosity has been satisfied and no longer needs to get a closer look. Traffic frees up at the next light, I turn right a mile down the road and head home.

I have no idea if he is a gun owner or if he has a LTCF. Maybe he'll show up here, maybe he won't. Either way, at least now he knows OC is legal.

**After thinking about the grin on his face when he asked me if that was supposed to be concealed, I cant help but wonder if he was expecting to catch me off guard. I bet he thought my jacket rode up over my holster and I had no idea my gun was exposed. We was probably waiting for my eyes to pop out of my head as I quickly pulled my jacket over my gun. I could be wrong, but that's just the feeling I got after thinking about it.

btw- I normally hate it when a stranger on a bike pulls up along side of me, even if it's just their front fender even with my rear tire. I don't know you, I don't want you next to me. If you are next to me, you are in my lane. It's my lane from the yellow line all the way over to the white line. Stay out of it, get your own lane, behind me. (I'll let it slide this time because I was able to give an education on OC. )

(Northampton County)

Default Re: "Isn't that supposed to be concealed?"

Biker rep sent. Nice story.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Biker rep sent. Nice story.
    This
    10 Char.

(Allegheny County)

Lane sharing of motorcycles is legal. It's his lane too if he wants it to be :P

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Game View Post
    Lane sharing of motorcycles is legal. It's his lane too if he wants it to be :P
    He can have his lane in front of me or behind me. Not next to me.

If I'm riding with someone I know, then I have no problem with him/her pulling up next to me at a stop. While riding, I want to be able to go coast to coast without fear of hitting someone. I never ride side by side. That's just asking for trouble.

On an OC related note, I've been out OC'ing on the bike a lot again this year, sitting in a lot of bumper to bumper traffic, passing by PSP and some local LEO and all has been quiet. This is the first time anyone has said anything to me. I've gotten a few odd looks, but nothing more. If someone does decide to say something, I hope it goes as well as this one did.

(Allegheny County)

I haven't ridden at all this summer. My bike needs so much maintenance and some repairs from when I got clipped in traffic last summer =\ Probably going to need to replace all the fairings, half the clips and tabs are busted, and half the screws missing.

I may just drop the registration/insurance on it and turn in my plate, let it sit until I can afford a proper front to back refurb on it.

(Delaware County)

Speaking about oc on a bike, when riding without a LTCF would one be permitted to open carry? It's my understanding that a vehicle conseals the firearm regulary but on a motorcycle is it the same?
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32148&dateline=128288  0834

(Allegheny County)

It is exactly the same. A vehicle is a vehicle is a vehicle. It's not about being concealed "in" a vehicle, it's about the vehicle. Not the concealment.

Vehicle.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Game View Post
    It is exactly the same. A vehicle is a vehicle is a vehicle. It's not about being concealed "in" a vehicle, it's about the vehicle. Not the concealment.

Vehicle.
    Although I am not disagreeing with you or discrediting you because I am in fact not sure of the issue I am not convinced.
    While oc the op's pistol was in plain sight so much so that a passer by was able to inquire him about it. When one enters INTO a vehicle their firearm can not be seen in plain sight therefore I consider that consealed.

Many statutes in law can go either way or be completely different by just one word and it's particular usage.

In 6106:
    Offense defined. -- Any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle. To me the word IN makes all the difference.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32148&dateline=128288  0834

(Allegheny County)

And when you're riding a motorcycle, you are in the vehicle's passenger area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast