Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default "Low Recoil" 00 Buckshot?

I picked up a few boxes of 00 buckshot for my 12 gauge today. The had both 'maximum' and 'low recoil' (1325 FPS vs. 1140 FPS). I figured I'd give both a try since they were only a few cents different in price, so I asked one of the clerks about it.

This was a "gun shop" with knowledgeable staff as opposed to a retail joint with some random employee who may have never even touched a gun. The clerk I spoke to said it was his opinion that the 'low recoil' ammo was actually more potent than the 'maximum'. So what say you? Is there any noticeable difference, or is it merely psychological?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Chester County)

Default Re: "Low Recoil" 00 Buckshot?

ive shot the remington law enforcement low recoil 00 buck... and its DEFINITELY noticable. im sure both get the job done, but yea its definitely different.

(Jefferson County)

If you have the same number of lead balls, that each balls also weigh the same, how would the slower of the two loads be more potent?

That's like saying a 158gr bullet in a .38spl is more potent than that same 158gr slug in a .357Mag.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    If you have the same number of lead balls, that each balls also weigh the same, how would the slower of the two loads be more potent?

That's like saying a 158gr bullet in a .38spl is more potent than that same 158gr slug in a .357Mag.
    He meant in terms of recoil, not effectiveness of stopping a potential threat. I worded my explanation poorly.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

My experience is that the reduced recoil slugs and reduced recoil 00 Buck shoot somewhat softer. I keep the reduced recoil rounds handy for my HD 12 gauge.

I have heard of no credible down side to the reduced recoil rounds.

Rick

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    He meant in terms of recoil, not effectiveness of stopping a potential threat. I worded my explanation poorly.
    Overall recoil energy should be lessor, however depending on the acceleration rate of the load, the recoil acceleration could be higher. They could be using a faster burning powder that reaches it's effective expansion space sooner creating a faster recoil acceleration, but only achieving a slower projective velocity. Recoil would feel "snappy", but wouldn't have the tremendous thrust of the high velocity load.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Allegheny County)

One should pattern thier shotgun. See how close the lead balls are to each other at 10ft, 15ft, 20ft, etc.

The low recoil I use from Federal has the FliteControl wad which stays with the lead balls longer and keeps a 3 inch pattern at 15ft out of my 870P.

"Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

Well, handgun slugs are designed to deform. When ammo deforms or fragments, it is often seen that pushing it at higher velocities causes loss of penetration (early/improper open) or failure of projectile to perform as designed (poor retained weight).

(Pike County)

I use the Federal low recoil 00, in my Mossy's the recoil feels a bit lighter.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Well, handgun slugs are designed to deform. When ammo deforms or fragments, it is often seen that pushing it at higher velocities causes loss of penetration (early/improper open) or failure of projectile to perform as designed (poor retained weight).
    While that is entirely true, you totally missed the point of my prior statement. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast