Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: "Low Recoil" 00 Buckshot?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    One should pattern thier shotgun. See how close the lead balls are to each other at 10ft, 15ft, 20ft, etc.

The low recoil I use from Federal has the FliteControl wad which stays with the lead balls longer and keeps a 3 inch pattern at 15ft out of my 870P.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This! You have to try a bunch of ammo to see what it likes the best. Some ammo just patterns better in your weapon. So all other factors being equal. Buy what patterns the best.

I've gone through just about all of the OTC basic 00BK, #1BK, and #4BK. Hornady - Remington, Federal, Winchestor etc.

I finally settled on the Centurion multi-defense buck/ball. It's basically like shooting a slug with a very slight near miss = a slight hit with the trailing shot behind the ball.

But if you hit the target "dead on". Well, there isn't much left of it. Plus you'll get good area damage from the slight bit of shot that doesn't strike directly into the hole the ball does.

The Winchestor #4BK patterns well in my 870. And so does the Federal 00BK.

Remington also works fine.

As for the recoil characteristics, I run a KNoxx recoil absorbing stock. So there is no actual "need" to run low recoil loads. But with a traditional stock, you will be much faster on target with the reduced recoil loads. Plus, less likely to absolutely blind or deafen yourself if you ever do need to use it in a structure. (Like your house.)

(Franklin County)

Default Re: "Low Recoil" 00 Buckshot?

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Some ammo just patterns better in your weapon. So all other factors being equal. Buy what patterns the best.
    10-4. I have two types already, and a third one the way from Midway.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12