Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lycoming County)

Question Trading Handguns Registered to My Father

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere in this forum, but if it is, I can't find it.

My father passed away a few years ago. At that time, I acquired all of his handguns. Now, I would like to trade a couple of them in on another handgun at a FFL dealer. The guns were registered in his name - not mine. What do I have to do to trade them?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Trading Handguns Registered to My Father

There is no registration in Pa. (18Pa.C.S.6111.4)

Transfers from father to son (both Pa. residents) are exempt from the requirement to go through a FFL. (18Pa.C.S.6111(c))
    If the guns were acquired from your fathers estate then the transfer is also exempt per 18 Pa.C.S. § 6115(b)(2)

So you own them.
    All you need to do is take them to the dealer.

What are you trading into?
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; August 28th, 2010 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Add 18 Pa.C.S. § 6115(b)(2) >>>>> credit: tl_3237

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    There is no registration in Pa. (18Pa.C.S.6111.4)
    And transfers from father to son (both Pa. residents) are exempt from the requirement to go through a FFL. (18Pa.C.S.6111(c))

So you own them.
    All you need to do is take them to the dealer.

What are you trading into?
    I am going to trade a Taurus 44 mag short barrel (I have a S&W 44 mag) and a Ruger Blackhawk 357 (I have a S&W 357) for a Taurus 4510 - 45LC/410 Stainless compact frame. Lots of fire power that doesn't take up that much space.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Lynn View Post
    I am going to trade a Taurus 44 mag short barrel (I have a S&W 44 mag) and a Ruger Blackhawk 357 (I have a S&W 357) for a Taurus 4510 - 45LC/410 Stainless compact frame. Lots of fire power that doesn't take up that much space.
    I do hope you get some money back if you're trading a Taurus 44mag and a Ruger Blackhawk for a Taurus 4510.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

There's nothing special to be done but take them to the dealer.

Just a minor clarification that doesn't affect the bottom line results -

The exemption of 18 Pa CSA 6111(c) does not apply here because the OP received the guns from the ESTATE distribution which is not the same a getting them from the father. Such transfers are allowed under the exemption 18 Pa.C.S. § 6115(b)(2). An ESTATE has no familial relationship with beneficiaries.
    IANAL

Just a reminder that the OP could post those guns in the classifieds here to trade them

(Chester County)

You could probably sell those two pistols here for more than you'd get in trade at a shop.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    There's nothing special to be done but take them to the dealer.

Just a minor clarification that doesn't affect the bottom line results -

The exemption of 18 Pa CSA 6111(c) does not apply here because the OP received the guns from the ESTATE distribution which is not the same a getting them from the father. Such transfers are allowed under the exemption 18 Pa.C.S. § 6115(b)(2). An ESTATE has no familial relationship with beneficiaries.
    This is a good catch. And thanks for pointing it out. When I replied late last night I didn't even think of the bequeathed vs. given prior to passing on. On re-reading the OP it is more likely the guns were obtained from estate. And in that case 6115(b)(2) is the correct exemption.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(York County)

you are getting less than half value in a trade as described if there is no cash coming back. best way to get rid of guns like these is to walk around the next gunshow with reasonable prices on a backboard and transfer them thru a friendly dealer from among the many working the show.

(Centre County)

Glenn Lynn, You would do much better selling them here on the forum than you would ever get by trading them in. A gun dealer will not give you good prices, they are in the business to make money. I doubt that they would give you 50% of what they are really worth. Also, if you sell them in a classifieds (here or some other forum) you might even see someone selling the Taurus you want and may get a good price for it.

Depending on the year of manufacture of the Blackhawk, you may want to check out www.rugerforum.com This site is basically all Rugers, all the time. And certain Blackhawks do have a collector value (again a dealer won't give you what it's worth).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member