Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Your thoughts on pistol grip shotguns...

such as the Mossberg Persuader, TAC, JIC...

I'd like one for the smaller size, manuverability, etc. but i'm concerned it will be a waste if i can only shoot it from the hip for any degree of accuracy.

your thoughts?

thank you!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Your thoughts on pistol grip shotguns...

folding/removable stock

/thread
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

(Monroe County)

I have a pistol grip top folding stock shotgun and it is very cool. Everybody likes to fondle it and shoot it at the range. It is possible to have some accuracy close up with only the pistol grip

I however only got it because the gun was for a great price and I wanted something different. It will work with pistol grip only in a confined space such as a car when I'm bugging out from the zombies but I would not get one just for that.

Personally my home defense shotgun is a full stock shotgun and would be my first choice if not my only one for 99% of situations. When you learn how to fight with the shotgun you will learn tricks to cut it's length down as if it was a PGO shotgun and this cuts out the manuveurability part.

Don't like them. If I have to shoot from the hip, I get a better grip with a normal stock. Plus, the full stock is much better to hit them with when you need to.

(Monroe County)

As others have said the pistol grip is severely limiting. It was designated to certain crews in the military who needed it in confined spaces, very confined. More so than you would probably have inside your house.

Having spent time on both a pistol grip and a shotgun with a full stock the differences are night and day. I was a pretty damned good shot from the hip with the pistol grip, and you can bring it up to eye level. The problem is when you need the accuracy that playing crack shot at the range isn't going to save your life inside the home. You need a stock, you need to shoulder it, and your level of accuracy improves 10 fold. Easier to control, faster target acquisition, and you can get back on target faster after each shot.

IMO pistol grip shotguns are for the movies, or very specific jobs in the military and law enforcement. You would be better served getting a shotgun with a stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Go to the range and shoot some 00 buck and slug rounds at a target set at about 15 yards. With a little bit of practice you will easily be able to put the shots where you want them to go. Your right hand, assuming you are right handed, will be severely pissed off at you for your training efforts. Get a stock. If you are looking for a shorter shotgun, go the extra mile and get a stocked version and properly SBS it.
    Jules

(Delaware County)

I've seen stocks that have a full pistol grip also. Don't have any personal experience with them but maybe someone that does will chime in.
    Tim

(Lancaster County)

OUCH. I have a Mossberg 500 - the pistol grip looks really cool, and all my friends like to play bada$$ with it - for 1-2 shots, after that the wrist angle seems all wrong. I find that using the stock held at my hip gives a much better angle to deal with the recoil, plus the advantage of shouldering the weapon when necessary. also when you run out of ammo, you can use the stock as a club. Bottom line - pistol grip looks cool, and shortens the overall length, but is very uncomfortable, the stock adds versatility and comfort, but is longer. Mine now wears the stock. as an aside, the wife has an advantage arms pistolgrip-overfolder stock. she likes it. Cb

(Bucks County)

They look cool, and make it easier to store in smaller places that is about it.
    Guns are dangerous, but no guns is more dangerous.

Knoxx makes a recoil reducing pistol grip that claims to cut 50% of felt recoil on 12 gauge. I have the SpecOps recoil reducing version, which is a collapsible military style stock, and it claims to reduce felt recoil by closer to 95% - and it does.

the pistol grip is around 85 - 100 bucks, which is a lot for a pistol grip, but all reviews i've read say it truly makes it possible to pop off and have fun with a 12 gauge pistol grip.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast