Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default Re: NRA Pulls Support for Reid

Quote Originally Posted by scmar View Post
    NRA dues are not used to support politicians . The money given to politicians comes from the NRA-PVF, which is funded by donations.
    Riggghhhhttttt.......and they didnt 'endorse' reid or 'support' the disclose act....wink wink.
    Last edited by gator39; September 10th, 2010 at 11:29 AM.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by tsafa View Post
    I don't think there is anything that could have been done to keep Kagan and Sotomayor out of the Supreme court since Obama was elected to president. Obama had enough votes in congress to put almost anyone he wanted in there. The upcoming election in November is what counts most since Obama was elected into office.
    True, but here's the problem: every single one counts. It's not which one came when, but having ANY of them on the court, and if you don't stop one then can't stop the others, then it doesn't matter which ones were which. If you lose a football game 24-21, it isn't because you didn't block the last field goal but because you also didn't stop the 3 touchdowns the other team scored.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spartos View Post
    Back a couple of months ago the NRA released a positive survey and assessment of Reid's record on the second ammendment that was just short of officially endorsing him. At that time, the NRA (and everyone else) knew VERY well that Reid was going to support Kagan. So I don't buy this idea that they suddently decided not to endorse him because of his support for Kagan.
    Why not? At this point the NRA was talking sweet about Reid because, quite frankly, he has always been a relatively strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment. That he was working with Pelosi, ram-rodding shoddy health care legislation down our throats, pushing Obama's agenda, etc. was of NO CONCERN to the NRA because it didn't have anything to do with the 2nd Amendment.

If it's been said once on this site, it's been said a thousand times: the NRA is a SINGLE ISSUE ORGANIZATION. That's the reason why they have so much influence, and why their scoring, grades, and endorsements of candidates are actually given credence by voters and the political establishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartos View Post
    As one who criticized the NRA in this forum I have to say that I am pleased that they seem to have listened to their membership. I give them credit for that.

But I'll always be disappointed that they ever considred endorsing Reid in the first place and published such a positive assessment of him. It has permanently lowered my opinion of the NRA.
    Again, they may have considered it because of his past 2A voting record. However, that changed with his votes on Sotomayor and Kagan. It's because of those votes, coupled with membership feedback, that I believe the NRA didn't endorse him.

And while that might make us happy, we better hope and pray that the Senate majority switches parties or Reid wins his election. If one of those doesn't happen, I'd wager a bet that any Democratic Senator which might replace him as Senate Majority Leader is going to cause us much more trouble on the 2A front than Reid did. No matter what you may think of him, Reid was a big part of why we even got a floor vote on national carry reciprocity, and why many other onerous pieces of anti-gun legislation didn't even see the light of day in the Senate.

I understand we have a lot of NRA-haters here, but the fact is there's no organization more effective than the NRA at preserving our 2A rights at the federal level.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; September 10th, 2010 at 03:23 PM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    No matter what you may think of him, Reid was a big part of why we even got a floor vote on national carry reciprocity,
    They did that knowing full well how many votes they had seeing that it wouldn't pass. It cost them NOTHING to do that, NOTHING. It was a tactical good move for the anti gun people because it makes us happy that we're not worse off and thus more content and not pissed off enough to be pushing back harder. No way in hell would Feinstein and her minions allow that to actually pass and threaten their anti gun empire in NY, CA, NJ, MD, MA, and IL. It's all about maintaining the illusion of democracy: it's about them being able to fool us into thinking it's really safe to have them in power.

I know that sounds cynical of me and maybe a little tin foil hattish, but it's quite real. Try REALLY removing the bad ones from power, like Feinslime and Schumer. Seriously, REALLY kick out the worst of them, as in get a real demon out on the 1st to 3rd 2 year or 1st or 2nd 6 year term. It doesn't happen, the REAL bad anti gun folks don't lose their seats, they're anti gun because they're invincible. We may say we'll kick them out but we kick out the weak ones, the real bad ones are locked in. Notice how that works.
    and why many other onerous pieces of anti-gun legislation didn't even see the light of day in the Senate.
    Because that will happen between November and January, that's a better time for them because either they'll be on their way out or they'll be locked in--either way they'll have nothing to lose then vs. everything to lose now. MAYBE Reid is a good guy, but his friends aren't and when it REALLY is between us and them, guess who his REAL loyalty is to.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; September 10th, 2010 at 05:14 PM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post

If it's been said once on this site, it's been said a thousand times: the NRA is a SINGLE ISSUE ORGANIZATION. That's the reason why they have so much influence, and why their scoring, grades, and endorsements of candidates are actually given credence by voters and the political establishment.

I understand we have a lot of NRA-haters here, but the fact is there's no organization more effective than the NRA at preserving our 2A rights at the federal level.
    This is pure myth and nra propaganda talking points.

Check out the Second Amendment Foundation.
    Look at what they are doing.
    The nra tries to ride their coattails and and take credit for alot of stuff the SAF has done and is doing.

Face it, the nra is self destructing with all their double dealing.
    nra, seiu, democraps, all use the same double dealing, bait and switch tactics.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    They did that knowing full well how many votes they had seeing that it wouldn't pass. It cost them NOTHING to do that, NOTHING.
    Whether or not it cost the D's anything is irrelevant. What's relevant is that a vote that in any other circumstances wouldn't have been brought to the floor was brought. Besides, did you watch the vote? I did. Given that they were deliberating votes ON THE FLOOR, DURING THE VOTE, I don't think they had as clear a picture as you believe when the vote was originally scheduled by Reid.

Quote Originally Posted by gator39 View Post
    This is pure myth and nra propaganda talking points.

Check out the Second Amendment Foundation.
    Look at what they are doing.
    The nra tries to ride their coattails and and take credit for alot of stuff the SAF has done and is doing.

Face it, the nra is self destructing with all their double dealing.
    nra, seiu, democraps, all use the same double dealing, bait and switch tactics.
    I agree that the NRA tries to take credit in places where it hasn't done as much as it should, but that has nothing to do with the NRA being a single issue organization.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Monroe County)

NRA, Second Amendment Foundation, GOA... etc. They are all working in our interest in way way or another. Naturally they will all come up short in one place or another too... that is why it is good to support all of them.

Look at your fingers... some are shorter, some are longer, some stronger, some thinner... YOU NEED ALL OF THEM. Working together, those weak little fingers give you a strong grip.

NRA, Second Amendment Foundation, GOA... etc.
    GOA is not single issue whatever they may claim.

GOA is simply a far right organization under the guise of a Second Amendment rights group.

(Delaware County)

For all you guys complaining about how the NRA is a shoddy operation, why don't you become members and vote?? You won't see the change you want in the NRA until you make that change happen. The only way that change can happen is if you get off your ass and do something, i.e. become a member and vote!

If it wasn't for the NRA our gun rights could have very well been gone long, long ago.

(Perry County)

NRA, Second Amendment Foundation, GOA... etc. They are all working in our interest in way way or another. Naturally they will all come up short in one place or another too... that is why it is good to support all of them.

Look at your fingers... some are shorter, some are longer, some stronger, some thinner... YOU NEED ALL OF THEM. Working together, those weak little fingers give you a strong grip.
    Yes, although I am a life member of the NRA, all the groups do their part. We all agree on the 2nd amendment, but have other differences. Despite differences we need to all work to keep the 2nd amendment alive, and that will require keeping the court Constitution oriented. It is my belief that the recent gains in the courts have put us on the threshold of securing our rights for the foreseeable future, but the margin is razor thin and the anti gun side has exchanged two near deadens for two very alive and young problems. So we have lost, if not in numbers at least in demographics and must catch back up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast