Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Be careful who you sell to!

I just got back from attempting a transfer at a gun shop of one of my firearms I was going to sell to a friend of a friend. I thought about just doing a FTF transfer, but something in my head told me to do it through an FFL, and that proved to be a smart move.

To make a long story short, he was denied. He admitted to the shop employee he was on ARD for something he was unsure of, and said he was also charged with a felony for a drug related offense, but according to him, the judge was going to dismiss that charge because he was trying to join the military.

Just be careful who you sell to everyone! If something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.

Proud member of:

Default Re: Be careful who you sell to!

I hope this was a long gun. If not any transfer of a handgun must be done at a gun store.

another side note, if you go to transfer a handgun and the other person fails /and pr the system is down. They have to keep your gun till it comes back up or they do a pics on you .
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pagoda240 View Post
    I hope this was a long gun. If not any transfer of a handgun must be done at a gun store.

another side note, if you go to transfer a handgun and the other person fails /and pr the system is down. They have to keep your gun till it comes back up or they do a pics on you .
    what's the reason for this? Sounds stupid imo.

(York County)

Okay, I got a minute. I'll try to tackle this one.

It's like this.

Dealer has to do a PICS check on the buyer, right. We get that.
    THe Federal regs are "Insta- check" system can ONLY be used by a "dealer" to sell (transfer) a gun. This we all know right.
    Well, PSP accesses NICS to do the check, so, dealer must "first" log said gun into their A&D book and then do PICS check on buyer.

Gun is now in dealers A&D book and the only way to take it out of the record is via 4473/PICS check.

Get it, now the 1st buyer is denied, seller must do PICS check to recover gun.

Kinda like taking back a consignment gun.
    Wouldn't you like to know what's in my safe.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pagoda240 View Post

Sorry, I should have clarified. Yes, it was a long gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bowanna View Post

It's like this.

THe Federal regs are "Insta- check" system can ONLY be used by a "dealer" to sell (transfer) a gun. This we all know right.
    Well, PSP accesses NICS to do the check, so, dealer must "first" log said gun into their A&D book and then do PICS check on buyer.

Gun is now in dealers A&D book and the only way to take it out of the record is via 4473/PICS check.

You're exactly right. Since the would be buyer was denied, I had to have a PICS check done on me to be able to take my rifle back home. I also made him pay for it for wasting my time, and he was fine with that.

Proud member of:

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bowanna View Post

It's like this.

So when 1 non-ffl wants to sell/give a gun to another non-ffl holder, the seller/gifter is basically transferring the gun to the ownership of the ffl holder. Then the buyer/giftee and ffl holder go through the normal procedure.
    If the buyer/giftee doesn't pass, the ffl holder has to transfer the gun back to the original owner using the normal procedure?

so in essence, it's seller transfers to ffl holder then ffl holder transfers to buyer? Is the gun essentially the property of the ffl dealer in the middle there?

it still sounds stupid and pointless to me. or a way to generate more cash.

(Clinton County)

I am transferring a handgun to my brother. He had to sell his other guns due to no work for awhile. I am going to give him my taurus 24/7 45acp. We are going to the Sheriff's office to do the transfer. Clinton Co Sheriff is good with transfers. He even has appointments before office hours if you need to. He gets there early.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.