Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 59 123451151 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default One in the Chamber

I have recently been debating whether or not to carry with a round in the chamber. I did not keep one in the chamber with the last gun I owned (Smith and Wesson) with no safety, and I was confident in drawing and chambering a round quickly. But the new gun (Para 1911) has a thumb safety and a grip safety and I feel it would take too much time to disengage the thumb safe chamber and aim/shoot.
    So, what are the thoughts on carrying with a round in the chamber?

Default Re: One in the Chamber

Well over 95% of the people that answer you on this forum will say they ALWAYS carry with one in the chamber.

You're just carrying a heavy paper weight if you don't. Carry one in the chamber and keep it cocked and locked.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by JST View Post
    I have recently been debating whether or not to carry with a round in the chamber. I did not keep one in the chamber with the last gun I owned (Smith and Wesson) with no safety, and I was confident in drawing and chambering a round quickly. But the new gun (Para 1911) has a thumb safety and a grip safety and I feel it would take too much time to disengage the thumb safe chamber and aim/shoot.

You can't engage the thumb safety without the hammer being cocked anyways Unless you prefer to carry cocked and locked without anything in the chamber. I'd carry +1, whenever you need it in a self defense situation youre gonna need it fast.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JST View Post
    No problem with a quality holster. I always carry +1 on all my guns.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Chester County)

There are tons of threads here about carrying with one in the chamber. More than you care to read...

(I always have one in the pipe, just for the record )

(Pike County)

Being one of the alleged remaining 5% I'd say that if you can see yourself in the situation, where you have a second to draw and don't have a fraction of a second to rack - your tactics sucks. So one better work on that, instead of entertaining himself with false sense of security.

I wonder when "cops carry +1" argument will pop up. We all know they don't care about our rights, don't know the law and suck at the firing line. But when it comes to the carry mode they are experts all of a sudden
    Je suis déplorable

(Delaware County)

One in the chamber, cocked unlocked and ready to go.

If I need to do more than pull the trigger, I've wasted too much time and made too much noise

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    Being one of the alleged remaining 5% I'd say that if you can see yourself in the situation, where you have a second to draw and don't have a fraction of a second to rack - your tactics sucks. So one better work on that, instead of entertaining himself with false sense of security.

I wonder when "cops carry +1" argument will pop up. We all know they don't care about our rights, don't know the law and suck at the firing line. But when it comes to the carry mode they are experts all of a sudden
    Have you ever used a shot timer that recorded the amount of time from the audible start to first shot? From a concealment vest with me +1 in the chamber its around 2 seconds or a little over from audible start to first shot. Now what if a BG was running at you full speed and you had to draw? No time to rack the slide.

(Chester County)

Thanks All, the more I had been thinking about it the more I was leaning toward carrying one in the chamber.
    +1 is the way to go.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by KAL101 View Post
    Now what if a BG was running at you full speed and you had to draw? No time to rack the slide.
    Technically, when you strong arm brings the gun from the belly to your sight line your weak hand racks it (technically, holds the slide, while pistol is moving forward).

And the rest is tactics and lots of thoughts of how not to put yourself into that position. When it's time to draw - the gun already is in my hand with one in a chamber. Playing the odds where fraction of a second stands between life and death is not really wise. IMHO.
    Je suis déplorable

Page 1 of 59 123451151 ... LastLast