Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 56 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6465253545556575859 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: One in the Chamber

+1 for me. A lot can happen in that 1 second. Checked my last split times running the FAST drill and my last 3 shots after the reload were just a hair over 1 second. That's 3 rounds into an 8 inch circle at 7 yards (and as you can tell from my time I'm not even fast...)

But my real reason for posting is to simply to keep this going. My rough estimate indicates this thread is only about 3,000 shy of overtaking the Gun Babe pics thread.

(Blair County)

I carry a 1911. It's designed for Condition 1. Rather simplifies the debate for me.
    Fustigate (fus*ti*gate) v: To beat it with a stick while wearing one white glove.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Constable Fuzzy View Post
    I carry a 1911. It's designed for Condition 1. Rather simplifies the debate for me.
    Actually, the 1911 was originally designed to be carried Condition 2.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    Actually, the 1911 was originally designed to be carried Condition 2.
    but modern 1911s...like all modern handguns...are designed to be carried condition 1.

not that that simplifies the debate...obviously.
    F*S=k

(Delaware County)

I'll carry my safety less Glock ready to fire, because I'll be pushing the knife wielder off me with the other hand. Or I'll be holding my shield of Valhalla.
    Soldats ! Faites votre devoir ! Droit au cœur mais épargnez le visage. Feu !

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    but modern 1911s...like all modern handguns...are designed to be carried condition 1.
    In what substantial ways are modern 1911s different from the JMB design? The fundamental design is the same. Modern 1911s are slightly modified copies of much older 1911 designs, not really new "designs."

And who says all modern handguns are designed for C1? They certainly can be.

(Monroe County)

not that that simplifies the debate...obviously.
    Check the manufacturers manuals then scan them and show us how they are "designed". Personally I carry both ways but IMHO neither is wrong and there are many other things that go into personal defense not to mention all the other things that take time off your first shot besides racking a slide.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    In what substantial ways are modern 1911s different from the JMB design?
    safeties. JMB's original design did not have them.

(though, thinking about it, his original design may not have been called the "1911"...it's been awhile since i read up on any of that, but i think that nomenclature didn't come about until the army made him change his original design.)

at any rate, once the gun has safeties on it, it was designed for C1 carry...whether people used it that way or not. or, let me rephrase that...it was designed in such a way that it was perfectly safe to carry it in C1.

And who says all modern handguns are designed for C1? They certainly can be.
    none of them can possibly fire unless the trigger is pressed (or there is severe--and extremely rare--mechanical malfunction).

thus, they are all designed for C1 carry...even if some people do not choose to carry them that way...even if the designers don't carry them that way.

as to how JMB thought his gun was supposed to be carried? i don't know. and i highly doubt you do either.

who says 1911s were originally designed to be carried C2 or C3? (the army may have called for that, but the army is notoriously afraid of both guns and its own personnel.)
    F*S=k

(Bucks County)

safeties. JMB's original design did not have them.
    The original design commissioned for the military, aka the original M1911, did in fact have safeties.

See the OP here:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=502877

...should answer all your questions.

at any rate, once the gun has safeties on it, it was designed for C1 carry...whether people used it that way or not. or, let me rephrase that...it was designed in such a way that it was perfectly safe to carry it in C1.
    In that same sense, all handguns are also "designed for C3."

as to how JMB thought his gun was supposed to be carried? i don't know. and i highly doubt you do either.
    The M1911 design was commissioned by the US military. It was NOT first designed with private sales in mind.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    Check the manufacturers manuals
    written by lawyers for CYA purposes.

i'll bet corvette manuals say they are not supposed to be driven in excess of the speed limit, too...doesn't mean they are not designed to be driven in excess of the speed limit.

Personally I carry both ways but IMHO neither is wrong
    i'm not saying anything is "wrong". this debate gets carried away at time, to say the least, but i never meant to say C3 carry is "wrong".

there are many other things that go into personal defense not to mention all the other things that take time off your first shot besides racking a slide.
    indeed there are.

once again, though, my issue is not at all about the time it takes to rack the slide...it is about the difficulty of deploying an unchambered gun with one hand. (and it is my understanding what goes into personal defense that makes that a concern for me.)

(well, that is part of the issue. the other part of the issue is causation. but i don't want to get into that circle again.)
    F*S=k

Page 56 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6465253545556575859 LastLast