Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: One in the Chamber

Definitely +1 in the chamber, you may not have time to rack one in a SD situation. Just practice disengaging the safety in your free time while the weapon is unloaded.
    Security without liberty is called prison.

The 1911 was designed to be carried with one in the camber hammer back thumb safety on. Galco has a nice leather thumb break holster for a 1911 cocked and locked. I believe the model number is J719
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    Technically, when you strong arm brings the gun from the belly to your sight line your weak hand racks it (technically, holds the slide, while pistol is moving forward).

And the rest is tactics and lots of thoughts of how not to put yourself into that position. When it's time to draw - the gun already is in my hand with one in a chamber. Playing the odds where fraction of a second stands between life and death is not really wise. IMHO.
    Yet you advocate not carrying with one in the chamber? I find this statement rather ironic lol.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Armstrong County)

Technically, when you strong arm brings the gun from the belly to your sight line your weak hand racks it (technically, holds the slide, while pistol is moving forward).

And the rest is tactics and lots of thoughts of how not to put yourself into that position. When it's time to draw - the gun already is in my hand with one in a chamber. Playing the odds where fraction of a second stands between life and death is not really wise. IMHO.

In a SD situation I don't want to have to put up with sweaty slippy hands on the slide trying to rack it. Anything can happen in SD, a BG under the influence of drugs could be running at you with a knife or something. This is all IMO, good to hear other oppinions Metz, some of my friends and I have this same debate.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    Yet you advocate not carrying with one in the chamber? I find this statement rather ironic lol.
    Laugh all you want. I advocate caution and tactics, that will help you NOT to find yourself in such situation, when fraction of a second matters. Cuz when it does, then my finger is already on the trigger.
    Je suis déplorable

Also, your slide racking hand may be injured by the BG's first move and you might not be able to rack it.

Or your strong side hand may be injured and you'd have to try and draw with your weak hand. Having one already in the chamber would sure be nice in that situation as well

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Also, your slide racking hand may be injured by the BG's first move and you might not be able to rack it.
    We were trained to rack it against the belt. And my XD racks just fine against it's plastic holster (just put your rear sights on it and push the gun down). And when the BG is in position, where he already injured you... isn't it too late to draw? How did the injury occur?
    Je suis déplorable

(Montgomery County)

Knife to the racking hand.
    Security without liberty is called prison.

(Armstrong County)

The injury was the BG stabbed you because you were too slow to rack the slide and fumbled around too much to get the rear sight on the holster to rack it just with your one hand. Hows that?

Laugh all you want. I advocate caution and tactics, that will help you NOT to find yourself in such situation, when fraction of a second matters. Cuz when it does, then my finger is already on the trigger.
    I guess the better question is why are you so afraid of keeping one in the camber? Are you afraid of your gun jumping out of its holster and going off by itself? I mean seriously, there are plenty of disadvantages to not carrying +1 and virtually none when it comes to keeping a round in the chamber.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast