Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Bank encourages second amendment

http://www.brenhambanner.com/article...ews/news03.txt

By ARTHUR HAHN/Managing Editor
    Published:
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 11:59 AM CDT
    CHAPPELL HILL — Any would-be robbers looking to walk into the bank here had best think twice.

There’s a new sign in town.

About a month ago, Chappell Hill Bank president Edward Smith looked at a sign on the front door prohibiting concealed weapons from his business and decided to make a policy change.

Licensed to carry a handgun? Come on in, and bring your weapon.

The sign, now prominently displayed on the bank’s front door, says, “Lawful concealed carry permitted on these premises. Management recognizes the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution as an inalienable right of all citizens. We therefore support and encourage the carrying of licensed concealed weapons.”

Smith said he made the policy change to send a warning to potential robbers, and also to express support to Americans’ right to bear arms.

“We had the sign on the window, the red circle with the pistol inside and a line through it. And I started thinking, ‘We’ve got this no gun sign up and the guy (robber) can come in and do what he wants.

“But if you’ve got a policy allowing handguns, he won’t know how many people are going to be in here carrying a concealed weapon. There may be some little old lady who’s mad at the government, and she’d love to use it,” he said.

The bank has been robbed twice in the last three years, including last March when a Western-attired man walked in, ordered bank employees to fill a canvas bag with money and then fled in a pickup truck. The man, who did not brandish a weapon, has not been caught.

The sign has made Chappell Hill Bank and Smith somewhat of an Internet sensation.

A photo of the sign has made its way around the world, and Smith has even been interviewed for the National Rifle Association’s radio network (http://www.nranews.com/#/nranews). He’s also been contacted by other media outlets wanting to do stories.

“It’s kind of gotten a life of its own,” he said.

Expressions of support have far outnumbered criticism.

Smith been contacted by officials from larger banks considering to take similar action, and has received e-mails in support from across the United States and even from England, Canada and Germany.

“I haven’t gotten any from Chicago or California, which doesn’t surprise me,” Smith said with a laugh. “We did get a real nice e-mail from an 88-year-old World War II veteran who said it’s about time somebody stood up in this country.”

The NRA has even invited him to speak at an upcoming convention, but Smith said, “I’m still deciding on that.”

Smith said he’s only received one negative e-mail, from an anonymous sender.

The policy change has also brought Chappell Hill Bank a handful of new customers and comments from people outside Washington County that they’d bank there if they lived here, said Smith.

“I tell them that we’re a full-service bank and we’re on the Internet. They can bank online,” he said.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Bank encourages second amendment

“We had the sign on the window, the red circle with the pistol inside and a line through it. And I started thinking, ‘We’ve got this no gun sign up and the guy (robber) can come in and do what he wants.

“But if you’ve got a policy allowing handguns, he won’t know how many people are going to be in here carrying a concealed weapon. There may be some little old lady who’s mad at the government, and she’d love to use it,” he said.
    Finally someone gets it!

It seems to be slowly catching on!!

BUT

I bet a few here will complain about the "lawfull concealedcarry" part

Now lets get a bigger bank like PNC,Pennstar,citizens to follow suit!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MaDuece View Post

BUT

Yea I noticed that, but I bet they just assumed that everyone who carries does so concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by MaDuece View Post

BUT

No OC in Texas, so the concealed part is kind of a moot point.

My kind of bank. Hoping it's true other banks are calling him to change their policy too.

About damn time.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by thelemite View Post
    http://www.brenhambanner.com/article...ews/news03.txt

“Lawful concealed carry permitted on these premises. Management recognizes the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution as an inalienable right of all citizens. We therefore support and encourage the carrying of licensed concealed weapons.”
    So do they only support the second ammendment if you're carrying concealed? I carry concealed all the time to several banks without any problems. Post a sign saying they support carrying period and we have something.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    So do they only support the second ammendment if you're carrying concealed? I carry concealed all the time to several banks without any problems. Post a sign saying they support carrying period and we have something.

Right, but since open carry is illegal in Texas, and the bank likely lacks authority to allow patrons to commit an illegal act, this looks about as good as it gets, to me anyway.

Certainly a move in the right direction, and I for one, wouldn't be looking a gift horse in the mouth.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Try reading the thread ... OC is illegal in Texas

(Monroe County)

I can understand your point but for all we know the bank owner does not know open carry is legal. He may only want concealed carry at his business yet supports the right of open carry in public. He may just have written concealed carry because NC has CCW's not LTCF and he also supports OC in his business.

Regardless I think changing his business policy from no legally carried weapons to allowing at least concealed carry is a positive especially when taking the stance that the ban was ineffective with the criminal element. It may not be a complete win but it's movement forward.

EDIT: As pointed out OC is illegal in Texas, I thought it was Chapel Hill, NC. Must read slower next time.
    Last edited by ByAnyMeans; August 24th, 2010 at 05:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast