Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Serpa for OC

(Mercer County)

Default Serpa for OC

I just bought a Serpa holster for OC. So far I like it, It sits high on my hip which I like. I really like the retention, which is why I bought it. So, I'm interested in any feedback on these holsters, like'em, hate'em or indifferent. Anything like little querks to know about?

Default Re: Serpa for OC

I have Serpas for all my carry pieces - Glocks, 1911, and J-frame. No problems with any of them.

The draw sequence brings the pistol out smoothly with my trigger finger indexed properly on the slide.

I did purchase the CQC Multi-Functional Belt Loop for one holster. It pulls the pistol a bit tighter to my body. However, I mostly use the paddle and standard belt loop.

No complaints from me.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7944&dateline=1265055  087

(Northampton County)

I was given a Serpa....and I don't use it. I seldom OC. I would take a Safriland ALS over a Serpa. That's just me.

Retention training is a good idea if you have not already done so.

(Mercer County)

The only thing I don't like about it is that I can't carry it "cocked and locked" like my CC shoulder holster. I'm not really fond of the idea of one in the pipe with the hammer down just in case the holster would fail and the weapon would hit the ground since there is no strap holding the weapon in. However, havng to rack a round would not really serve in a pinch. Perhaps it's just the jitters with a new and different holster?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Finster View Post
    ...... I'm not really fond of the idea of one in the pipe with the hammer down just in case the holster would fail and the weapon would hit the ground since there is no strap holding the weapon in.....
    Most good pistols, semi-auto or revolver, have a safety device/lockout that blocks the firing pin from striking the round unless the trigger is pulled, even if you drop the weapon. If yours doesn't, I suggest you get a better pistol.

(Allegheny County)

The only holster I've used with my Glock for over three years now is my Serpa. I wouldn't use anything else without real good cause.

(Monroe County)

I use a SERPA II every day for everything I carry. I use one with my Sigma, I use one with the XD-9 and I use one with my Glock. No complaints as of yet. Just dont expect to get great concealment with it if you for any reason decide to cover up as in my experience you will print like hell depending on your body type/Shirt style.

(Delaware County)

Haven't used one and based on the info I've read about them I won't ever be using one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k_VA...os=Vx4VVkGeJxs

I've read far too many stories of people that have ND'd in their own leg while using a serpa off the draw in classes and IDPA. Go to tacticalresponse.com and read their FAQ on why they don't allow serpas to be used in any of their classes.

(Monroe County)

I used to run a serpa a few years ago. I was new to ownership and carry and thought it was the cats pajamas. I talked to alot of people who do alot of training and just read up on the holster a bunch. I'll probably never buy one again. Sucks for CC and gives a false sense of retention. You need to get trained on firearm retention by professionals, and you need to hop your gun never gets stuck inside the holster just like in that video.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Clearfield County)

I have a serpa level 2 CQC for a 1911, but I have 2 main complaints.

1) It sticks out from the body. In some ways this is good (side fat), in others it seems too far.

2) I'd also like a thumb based retention device like I've seen on the safariland holster. I'm thinking for a gun grab, having a strap that goes over the top of the gun would be better (I understand it's no replacement for retention training and situational awareness, but that little extra would help... on the other hand it's 1 more thing to have problems with if you need to draw).

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast