Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: AOW question.

(Chester County)

Default AOW question.

ive had an 870 as a HD for ever. its a old police trade in. i am interested in making it an AOW and buying or "machining" the barrel to 12" +/- just a bit longer than the factory mag tube cap. My thoughts being a handgun could possibly over penetrate and realistily i doubt i would need more than a 4 rounds ( weapon is stored cruiser safe) for hd. a shorter weapon would maximize manuverability and increase retention capability. i have also pondered buying a youth stock or removing about 1" from the stock as well. a lighter, shorter gun would allow better use with my support hand, opening doors using phone, etc. a weapon light will be attached, not sure how yet. i prefer remington HD loads utilizing #2 AND #4 shot in a high brass hull ( patterns well, feeds well and seems quite lethal at close range and would have less over penetration concerns verus larger size buck)

my question(s) are: is this possible? Is this an SBR or an AOW? Can it be done with just an AOW stamp or would infinge on some regulation i dont know about. does anybody have a source for factory 12" barrels (as i really dont want to have to buy a jig for drilling the bead site.

any feedback on this would be appretiated. most people i have spoken with about this give me the old " dude just use your AR cause .223 kills everything and dissinagrates in hard cover" i love my AR but i dont think that .223 works that way. i even have le frangible on standby, i just have some concerns about using an AR for HD, like in the event of a self defense incident i want to keep my rifle not donate it to my locale police force for one.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: AOW question.

If it has ever had a shoulder stock attached to it, it can only ever be a SBS or DD. Has it had a shoulder stock attached to it? ...if so - file a Form 1 for a SBS.

Manufacturing is still a $200 tax stamp. The only benefits the AOW has over the SBS or DD is the ability to cross state lines without filing the notice with the ATF and the $5 transfer stamp.
    Last edited by knight0334; August 23rd, 2010 at 10:35 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Washington County)

I think you have some reading to do before making this decision, and probably some training.

http://theboxotruth.com/

Read up before you think you are good to go and your walls are bulletproof

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    I think you have some reading to do before making this decision, and probably some training.

http://theboxotruth.com/

Read up before you think you are good to go and your walls are bulletproof
    I didnt say my walls were BP or even imply that. #2/#4 shot has less kinetic energy that 00 buck. And from what i have found less also than 9mm. i am trusting the lesser of two evils in regards to over penetration. and in regards to training, thank you. i have have several thousand dollars wrapped up in 4 different profetional and respected national instuctors over the course of the last few years.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    If it has ever had a shoulder stock attached to it, it can only ever be a SBS or DD. Has it had a shoulder stock attached to it? ...if so - file a Form 1 for a SBS.

Manufacturing is still a $200 tax stamp. The only benefits the AOW has over the SBS or DD is the ability to cross state lines without filing the notice with the ATF and the $5 transfer stamp.
    Thanks! thats what i was afraid of. id spend $200 on a tax stamp for a suppresor but i dont think its worth it for an SBS right now. perhaps down the road.