Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Building my own Suppressors...

I am hoping to find more answers from some people more knowledgable than myself on this issue.

I have the machining equipment and the know-how to build my own suppressors... The problem is that I don't know the legal aspects of doing it. I am un-aware of the process required to build my own suppressors though. I understand that I have to do the standard 200 dollar tax stamp, but I am confused if I have to wait untill I have the tax stamp back before I can commence building. I also heard that I have to send in plans with the application. True? how detailed do they have to be? What about a serial number? assigned? do I make it? PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!
    Never underestimate the stupidity of your fellow human. Always carry a weapon!

(York County)

Default Re: Building my own Suppressors...

While using my "googlefu"..... I found the following information regarding my OP....

The form that must be filled out for "manufacturing" is the BATF Form 1 and the applicant must do all the standard things as buying a class III weapon. IE... Pay the 200 bucks, wait the standard crappy wait, and all that good stuff.

The construction may not commense until the approved form 1 / tax stamp is recieved. Upon recieving your approval, you may (FINALLY) build your suppressor.

I could not find any more information on the issue... If anyone has any further information, please chime in!!!!

(Monroe County)

Your on the right track. Also read the stickys at the top of the NFA section. If you have a chance go to silencertalk.com and go through the section on making supressors, there is a lot of info on making/designing cans.

(Lackawanna County)

Absolutely correct. My parts can't move from autocad to waterjet intil the damn tax stamp is in my hands, and I can't get the CLEO to sign off on the freaking thing.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(York County)

That sucks! At least you have auto cad though..... every part I have to make, I have to turn / mill my hand... Oh well, I have quite a few designs theat I am milling around in my head as far as ideas go. I already make custom muzzle brakes since that's legal, my favorite of which is a "barrett" style brake that I made, (actually as a joke) for my yugo SKS. It works so well, that not only I, but 3 other people have fired the weapon, and the lack of recoil allowed them to see the vapor trail!!! (it only happened 5 individual times though)

I would really like to make one of the ones that I have deemed "holster friendly" and I think that I may do it as my first design. The can would be the same with and height as the slide. I think I am gonna do one in 9mm first with the 1/2 X 28 threading so that I can use it on any of my glocks (gotta get the conversion threaded barrel for the G23 though) and also thread it onto the .17 and also the .22's.

Could either of you give me some insight into getting the CLEO sign-off? Who / how would help out alot. It's one thing I'm not too sure on. Thanks!

(wa3ra) do you have the equipment to do the engraving / marking to BATF specs? I could use some help with that when the time comes...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by G23neverjams View Post

Could either of you give me some insight into getting the CLEO sign-off? Who / how would help out alot. It's one thing I'm not too sure on. Thanks!
    I'm not a lawyer, and it's been over a year since I've browsed around the NFA laws so this may have changed, but can't you hire a lawyer who knows how to properly set up a gun trust and place your suppressor in that? That would bypass the need for a CLEO love letter, or at least used to.

(York County)

Haha, I would love to hire one. I'm broke though....

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by wa3ra View Post
    ... and I can't get the CLEO to sign off on the freaking thing.
    My buddy lives in Sranton and he found out that there are only two ways for the Sheriff to sign off, you have to be a close friend or relative! He went with a Trust for his NFA toys.