Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Savage in 308 for medium distance shooting

I want to shoot out to 600 yards accurately with a 308. Why 600 yards, because it's the longest range near where I live.

I'd love to get a Remington 700 but the one I'd want is around $3500,00

I can get a Savage with a scope and bipod for much less.

I'm pricing the 10FP series right now. Not sure what scope to get, but it's not going to be some cheap junk. Probably go with a name brand like Leupold.

I think the Savage will probably out shoot me for quite some time.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Default Re: Savage in 308 for medium distance shooting

Lot's of really good .308's out there, $3500 for a Rem 700 seems a bit high, actually extremely high. I'm not sure if I'd want to buy a 'package' type thing, maybe build and add to it as I want rather than something pre-fabbed. Most times that works out better for people and they are more satisfied with the end product if it's exactly what they want. I mean face it your gonna want to change some things anyways, IMHO A good rifle is one that's built around you and the way you shoot

I have a Howa M1500 in .308 with the Houge overmold stock, has a 20" heavy barrel and adjustable trigger. I need a better scope for it. Have a Sightmark on it now and it's okay for the 200y range here. I think it might be lacking some for anything beyond that. Over all it's a really nice shooter with handloads, OEM ammo is lacking for accuracy most of the time unless it's top shelf stuff
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Somerset County)

Earlier this year, someone else was looking for a similar rifle.

Seems to me that the TC Icon (not Venture) was something he was looking at. I think they have a 'Long Range Hunter" or 'Precision Hunter' version or something like that. Might be worth digging up that thread

Dale

(Luzerne County)

I love shooting my Savage 12FV in .223 as it is a very, vert accurate rifle. Were I looking for a rifle in .308, I would definitely go with the Savage, either the 10 or 12, depending on price.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    I love shooting my Savage 12FV in .223 as it is a very, vert accurate rifle. Were I looking for a rifle in .308, I would definitely go with the Savage, either the 10 or 12, depending on price.
    I'm seriously considering the Savage 10FP-LE1A .308.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)

(Perry County)

I have a Savage Mod 10 FP. Other than a somewhat limp stock, this is a remarkably capable rifle with a surprising low list price. Admittedly when you put a $300+ scope and rings on it the price will get close to $1,000. However, you won't find a better package for the price.

The Remington has a bigger after market, and if you want to lavish money on your rifle that is a consideration. However, out of the box it is hard to beat the Savage (especially with the accu-trigger). I hope you enjoy your new rifle.

I have the Remington 700 308 5R Milspec, and it's the most accurate rifle I own. I took it to the range on Thursday to sight her in at 600 yards. It took 4, 3 shot groups, to zero her in. Two groups were 4". and the other two were 3". The last three were in the X ring on the 600 yard target. The rifle cost me a little over $1000 without optics.

I also own two Savages, a 6mm BR, and a 223, but they won't shoot with the 5R. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the Remington 5R.

Ken
    Last edited by Pa_Neighbor; August 22nd, 2010 at 07:09 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa_Neighbor View Post
    I have the Remington 700 308 5R Milspec, and it's the most accurate rifle I own. I took it to the range on Thursday to sight her in at 600 yards. It took 4, 3 shot groups, to zero her in. Two groups were 4". and the other two were 3". The last three were in the X ring on the 600 yard target. The rifle cost me a little over $1000 without optics.

I also own two Savages, a 6mm BR, and a 223, but they won't shoot with the 5R. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the Remington 5R.

Ken
    I've read lots of good things about the 700 5R and it's high on my list of desireable guns in 308.

What length barrel do you have on the 5R?

What scope do you have on it?

A Savage is still half the price of a 5R and much easier to find. A Savage is more of a Camaro where the 5R is a Ferrari. I'm probably better off starting off with a Camaro.

Gallery of Guns listed two other Remingtons I like but can't afford right now.

Remington 700 Police LTR TWS
    $3,680.69

Remington 700 TWS
    $2,720.99

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    I've read lots of good things about the 700 5R and it's high on my list of desireable guns in 308.

What length barrel do you have on the 5R?

What scope do you have on it?

A Savage is still half the price of a 5R and much easier to find. A Savage is more of a Camaro where the 5R is a Ferrari. I'm probably better off starting off with a Camaro.

Gallery of Guns listed two other Remingtons I like but can't afford right now.

Remington 700 Police LTR TWS
    $3,680.69

Remington 700 TWS
    $2,720.99
    The Remington 700 5R's, are superb rifles. They also don't only come in .308, they also come in .300 winmag now. From the factory the .308's have a 24" barrel, and the .300 winmag's have a 26" barrel.

I'm a Remington 700 man, but I do like Savages. Bang for buck, they're a better rifle, and every bit as accurate out of the box. Lots of times they're more accurate out of the box than a Remington 700. If you prefer the Savage and it fits your budget better, you won't have any problems taking one to 600 yards. The limiting factor will be the ammunition selection, and the "nut behind the bolt" lol. I think calling the Savage a Camaro is probably a pretty accurate analogy, although I wouldn't call the 5R a Ferrari. The 5R is more like a finely tuned Corvette with a few mods to it. The Ferrari's and other cars like that would have to go to the full blown customs. Either way, if you like the "Camaro", there's nothing wrong with it, and I assure you that it'll get the job done.

You'll hear people talk about other rifles, from other manufacturers. Those are fine rifles, and some of them will work great to 600 yards, or even 1,000. You just have to decide what you may eventually want to do with the rifle. If you like it the way it is, and probably won't change anything on it, then that leaves lots of options. If you ever intend to customize it, have some custom work done to it, maybe different barrel, different stocks, etc. That limits your choices a fair bit. You can't really find much aftermarket support, or as many options on say like a Thompson Icon action, or some others like Ruger, Weatherby, Nosler, etc, etc. You can take your pick, all those companies do make rifles that you can take to 1,000 yards. If you want to find a new stock, different triggers, firing pins, etc.; that's when things get a bit different. Most people that seriously get into LR shooting, eventually want to customize their rifles at least some. That's the reason why most choose a Remington or a Savage, because there's more aftermarket support there, so you have more options.

In my honest opinion, don't even look at or mess with the two rifles that you list. If you got one of the best ones they make, it won't outshoot a 5R, but it might hang with it. Most of the time though, they still won't quite hang with a 5R, and they foul a lot more, etc. No matter what anybody says, a 700P or a LTR are not really anything special. They're just a heavy barreled Remington 700, they don't really get any sort of special attention. There's been numerous runs and documentated cases of bad quality control on 700P's. Where they had out of spec chambers, were very long throated, etc. Remington made them right if the customer sent them back, but who knows how many didn't get sent back.

The package systems that you're looking at are direct toward police departments. For liability reasons and the paperwork, it's easier for them to just buy an entire system, log that, and if it ever has to be used in a shooting; "hey, it's in perfect working order. This is the system Remington makes for police departments. Everything is exactly how it should be." It makes it easier for them to explain to the public and their superiors, than trying to go over a custom rifle, or one that someone has put together and modified. Lawyers will try to spin things and have a field day with something like that.

Either way, you could buy a 5R, a pelican case, harris bipod, and the same scope, for the same amount of money or cheaper. In my opinion, you'd also have a better rifle with the 5R than you were getting from the LTR, or a 700P. Don't get caught up in the hype about "this is a police sniper rifle", and things like that. Those are just marketing ploys and the mall ninjas trying to justify why they spent that much on a rifle. Truth be told, "police sniper rifles" don't usually get shot much past 100 yards, so while they have to be precise rifles, it still doesn't mean it's the perfect rifle to take to 600 yards or more. There's nothing magical about any of the LE rifles, I promise you that. There is a little more care taken on the higher end rifles like the 5R and the Sendero. Since they use different barrels and a few other things, they have smaller runs and more attention gets paid to them in quality control. So they have a slight advantage, but even in them, there's no real magic. The magic happens with the shooter bringing all the equipment together; load, optics, dope, wind, and pulling the trigger. Lots of people think that if they had a rifle that was capable, that anybody could shoot to 1,000 yards. It's bullcrap, it takes devotion and a lot of practice. The shooter is the most important thing and the largest variable. You learn from pulling the trigger the proper way and spent primers.

If the Savage fits your budget better, don't be afraid to go that route. Spending more time on the range will count for a lot more than the name on the action of your rifle. Also consider this though, if you really want to get good out to 600 yards, you'll have spent a LOT more in ammunition than the price difference between a Remington and Savage. You'll have to be using or reloading quality ammunition to get 600 yards or further. So choose a rifle that you will be able to feed, but also consider that in the end, you'll have spent a lot more money in ammo than the $200-300 difference in those 2 rifles. So just get what you want, what will make you happy. Long range rifles become a love affair that you may tweak a little, but pretty much never let go of; so do it right, and hang on to her.

(Berks County)

Check out the link below. It is to sniper country px and he has the 700 SS 5R listed for $1037.00 and he is located right in pottstown. A couple of my buddies have these rifles and absolutely love them! Don't get me wrong the savages are great rifles, but for this price you can't beat the 700 5R.

http://snipercountrypx.com/p-499-rem...e-rifling.aspx

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast