Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Can a PA resident carry in FL with a FL license?

I use to live in FL and have a CCW license from there. I noticed that it says ...

"Florida will only honor permits from residents of the states they honor. They will not honor a Non-Resident permit from any state they honor."

Does this mean that they do not honor their own license because I am not a resident of FL?

I ask because I am going to be going there on a trip soon and I was planning on emptying my wallet of unneeded things and carry only the minimum in case the wallet got lost or stolen, then I would have a minimum of things to replace. I always do this when I travel.

I was planning on leaving my PA CCW license at home but if I am reading this correctly, I am going to have to bring it because FL will not honor their own license because I am not a resident of their state but they will honor my PA license because I am a resident of PA.

Again, am I understanding this correctly? Thanks in advance.

PS: In case anyone asks, the reason why I have a FL CCW license is because I use to live in FL and in order to get a license, I had to demonstrate proficiency with a firearm in order to get the license. I don't want have to go through that again if it expires and I want to get it again, so I've been renewing it even though I now live in PA.
    Last edited by Sir Knight; August 22nd, 2010 at 05:56 AM.

Default Re: Can a PA resident carry in FL with a FL license?

Since you are a PA resident, and FL & PA have reciprocity, I would take the PA and FL license. However, if you want to keep your FL license, you should probably get it taken care of. I am pretty sure it can all be done online.

https://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/li...hgaddr790.html

As per FL Code Section 790.06(8) License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.

"Within 30 days after the changing of a permanent address, or within 30 days after having a license lost or destroyed, the licensee shall notify the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services of such change. Failure to notify the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services pursuant to the provisions of this subsection shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of $25."
    Last edited by cgminwestpa; August 22nd, 2010 at 09:48 AM.

(Jefferson County)

Why would Florida not honor their own license? The whole point of them issuing a license to non-residents is for those non-residents to be able to carry while in Florida.

What that script says is that they will not honor non-resident licenses issued by other states.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lehigh County)

Actually, it doesn't say that. No mention is made of "other" states. It says ...

"Florida will only honor permits from residents of the states they honor. They will not honor a Non-Resident permit from any state they honor."

Assume that you do not have a license from PA but have one from Texas. While Florida honors Texas, they only honor residents from that state. Since you are not a resident of Texas, they will not honor the Texas license. Agreed?

Now substitute FL for Texas. The same logic applies. Florida obviously honors a Florida license but only if the license holder is a resident of the state that the license is from. Since you are not a resident of Florida, your Florida license will not be recognized in Florida.

That is how I am reading it.

(Chester County)

Your safest bet is to ask officials from Florida.

AG's contact info- Office of Attorney General
    State of Florida The Capital
    Tallahasse, Florida 32399-1050
    Phone: 850-414-3300
    Fax: 850-410-1630
    email: ag@oag.state.fl.us

Licensing Division- Florida Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Services,
    Division of Licensing
    P.O. Box 6687
    Tallahassee, Florida 32314-6687
    Phone: (850) 488-5381
    email: springb@doacs.state.fl.us

I bet a 5th grader could come up with this much information:

Florida will only honor permits from residents of the states they honor.

well Duh......

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

(Delaware County)

from the Florida CWL site:

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/new...led_carry.html

If you look at the list, Florida is not listed so Florida does recognize a Florida license from a non resident, after all they did issue the thing.

QUESTION 4. I have a Florida Concealed Weapon/Firearm License, but I am not a legal resident of Florida. Can I travel to the states that recognize Florida licenses and still carry a concealed weapon?

Most of the reciprocity states will honor Florida non-resident permits; however, authorities in a number of states have informed us that there are specific provisions in their laws that restrict the terms of their mutual recognition agreements ONLY to the LICENSED RESIDENTS of other states. Therefore, those individuals who hold Florida licenses but who are not residents of Florida cannot carry concealed weapons in these states. Please take careful note of those states listed above that have a reference to Footnote 4 after them.

BE ADVISED: Because gun laws are subject to change or different interpretation by state courts, we recommend that non-resident Florida licensees call or write licensing authorities in the states in which they will be traveling to obtain the latest information on this important topic.

QUESTION 5. I have a concealed carry permit from one of the states with which Florida has reciprocity, but I am not a resident of that state. Can I carry legally while visiting a Florida?

No. Florida, like Michigan and New Hampshire, has a residency requirement in its reciprocity law. Florida does not recognize non-resident concealed carry permits from other states.
    On a side note, I find it a bit hypocritical that Florida does not recognize non-resident licenses from other states, yet is one of the biggest issuers in the country of non-resident licenses.

(York County)

You ARE a resident of PA and if you have your PA license....I am pretty sure that is the reason for reciprocity agreements. Your PA license should be honored in those states that have reciprocity and FL is one of them.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Knight View Post
    Actually, it doesn't say that. No mention is made of "other" states. It says ...

Assume that you do not have a license from PA but have one from Texas. While Florida honors Texas, they only honor residents from that state. Since you are not a resident of Texas, they will not honor the Texas license. Agreed?

Now substitute FL for Texas. The same logic applies. Florida obviously honors a Florida license but only if the license holder is a resident of the state that the license is from. Since you are not a resident of Florida, your Florida license will not be recognized in Florida.

That is how I am reading it.
    Their own permit is not "from" another state, you are from another state, but their permit isn't.

Florida doesn't honor non-resident licenses issued by other states. FL's law has been like this for 20 years or so, and had they been not honoring their own license they would have had their butt handed to them in the US Supreme Court by now.
    Last edited by knight0334; August 23rd, 2010 at 10:03 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

Since the OP knows 100% his PA LTCF is honored why reinvent the wheel and travel to FL with a permit that might not be honored? Furthermore risking the chance of being detained, arrested, etc. Just travel to FL with a LTCF you know willl be honored (his PA). My read from the OP's post is that he used to be a resident of FL with a RESIDENT FL permit. By his posting it appears he is no longer a RESIDENT of FL and should have notified FL of the residency change. Why risk trouble?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast