Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next rifle...

(Chester County)

Default Next rifle...

Hey guys...been lurking around here for a bit, figured I'd finally register. I currently own two M1 Garands (absolutely in love), a 91/30 sniper, and SA1911 GI.

I'm trying to decide what to purchase next and right now. Currently I'm considering a k98 or an M1A but I'm not really sure. I want something with some sort of history ideally and mainly will be used for target shooting. I've also looked at a krag and 1903, maybe even an Enfield.

Just looking for an opinions anyone might have. Who knows, maybe I'll just grab another M1

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: Next rifle...

03's are always addicting

(Allegheny County)

For target shooting I'd suggest either a No4 MK1 Enfield or a Swiss K31. You can find either made in the early 40's to give you the history you want. The Enfield has excellent sights and a smooth traditional bolt action and the K31 has an awesome straight pull action and is extremely accurate with the Swiss ammo that is basically match grade. You can get either rifle for $250 or less.

If you are already shooting '06's and would be interested in a Enfield how about one of the "US Rifle, .30 caliber, Model of 1917". Made by Winchester and Eddystone they are of the Enfield pattern but chambered for the '06 and they have a good history to boot. I have one of these. It has smooth action and is a joy to shoot.

http://www.highspeedlane.net/m1917/m...ef_history.htm

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    For target shooting I'd suggest either a No4 MK1 Enfield or a Swiss K31. You can find either made in the early 40's to give you the history you want. The Enfield has excellent sights and a smooth traditional bolt action and the K31 has an awesome straight pull action and is extremely accurate with the Swiss ammo that is basically match grade. You can get either rifle for $250 or less.
    Ditto ~ They are starting to Disappear, But I'd opt for a K31 (YouTube it)

The M1917 Enfield would be another choice, The M1A is an Awesome rifle that is expensive and only has the History of being a semi-auto copy of the Military M14 - It was also one of the shortest serving Battle rifles the US ever fielded. The other rifles have more history with the M1917 probably actually seeing Combat, If they could only talk.

You really can't go wrong with any of them to be honest.

~ TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Chester County)

I actually checked out the M1917 the other day. Any idea what kind of prices they run? Can't imagine they're overly common.

I'm looking at a k98 in the classifieds, will probably grab that. And if these K31s are as cheap as you say I may just have to look into them as well.

Thanks for the input, feel free to keep it coming :P

(Allegheny County)

The 1917s probably range from $450 for a shooter mixmaster to $650 for a decent mostly correct specimen. A good Russian-capture K98 would be somewhere around $275-350 depending on rarity, condition, accessories (sight hood, capture screws, cleaning rod, sling) and whether or not the Waffenamps are peened. They both show up fairly regularly on Gunboards.

(http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...-listing-board)

(Lebanon County)

I have a 1953 russian M44 (basically a Mosin-Nagant carbine), and my Brother has, lemme think...
    3 Mausers, 1 Turk and I think the other 2 are Kar 98's
    2 Mosins,
    4 Garands, 1 of them is a National Match conversion.
    3 '03 Springfields with the Hatcher Holes,
    1 Japanese Arisaka with the Mum.

He used to have an Enfield, but .303 British is so expensive that he traded it for something. I think he's holding the Arisaka because it is a war trophy that was never de-mummed. Those 6.5x50mm's are extremley rare!
    Political Correctness is the idea that you can pick up a Turd by the Clean End.

(Bucks County)

M1 Carbines?

Personally, I think they're a blast, I was shooting one that was being put together with some help from the computer company IBM in the 40's. It really has a lot of history surrounding it, including how it was made, and who the actual designer was. You mentioned you wanted a gun used for target shooting, and I do know that the CMP (Civilian Marksman Program) sells them for around $300, if i am not mistaken. Great target rifles, and great to go along with your WWII collection.

As mentioned above, another great choice is a Lee Enfield. In all honestly, I have never shot one at this point in time. But I do know a lot of people who adore they're accuracy.

Take your time and make a good decision though.
    "If the individual can govern himself, all external government is tyranny" - Benjamin Tucker.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jabtime View Post
    M1 Carbines?

Personally, I think they're a blast, I was shooting one that was being put together with some help from the computer company IBM in the 40's. It really has a lot of history surrounding it, including how it was made, and who the actual designer was. You mentioned you wanted a gun used for target shooting, and I do know that the CMP (Civilian Marksman Program) sells them for around $300, if i am not mistaken. Great target rifles, and great to go along with your WWII collection.
    Good rifles but not totally suited for long distance target shooting as they tend to shoot a bit to one side. They were around $500 from the CMP but those days are gone now... all sold out with no more on the way. That means prices are upwards of $550 on the secondary market.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast