Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Elverson Gun Club Hunter Safty Course

Hey guys, finally getting around to taking my hunter safty course this week. What can i expect to cover in said course? What are you expected to bring? Any advice?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Elverson Gun Club Hunter Safty Course

They will explain basic hunter and trapper safety and laws/regs. Also some basic firearms safety. You will probably watch a video or two. Also you will take a multiple choice test.

Bring a pencil/pen and some paper to take notes. You may have to bring a lunch and refreshments.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

Default Re: Elverson Gun Club Hunter Safty Course

I took the course there within the last 10 years. I don't remember it being all about a whole bunch of regs or gun safety. Maybe some general hunter safety like treestand safety and positively identifying your target. IIRC the rules they focused on were the most common things you would deal with like "orange" and how to properly tag a deer. It goes over enough so that you will feel like you can get your license and take a shot at something and feel confident that you are within the law, after the course I felt like I was able to understand everything in the yearly game commission booklet. I think we also took a couple shots with a .410 at some turkey targets, just a few rounds a piece.

It is mostly geared toward kids and teaching sportsmanship. I was in my 20s with a friend and we were by far the oldest ones there except for the dads with their kids and the instructors.

Bring a pencil but I think you graded your own test or had your friend grade it as they went over all the answers and explained them, nothing to lose sleep over.