Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Question Question about "my lawyer"

This is a question that I have had on my mind for some time, as I have heard of this often, and I have finally decided to ask.

I often hear people speak of "their lawyer" or someone give the advice that if involved in an incident where you have had to use your weapon to defend yourself you should call your lawyer. I have always wondered if all of my fellow gun owners have a lawyer on speed dial that they can call in the middle of the night when they defend their families from a BG that just kicked in the door. Are your lawyers versed in gun laws? Or are they simply defense attorney? Do you have them on retainer or do you just contact one and tell them you are a gun owner and you hope to never have to use thier services but just in case (God forbid) will they be willing to be your attorney? Pick them out of the yellow pages etc?

I am relatively new to shooting and the gun world compared to many of you, and I have not started to carry yet, but I do try to get to the range regularly and educate myself so this is just another example of me trying to educate myself.

I appreciate all and any info on the topic, and who knows, maybe there are others wondering the same thing!

-Anthony

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Question about "my lawyer"

I have a list of several attorney, both civil and criminal who I could reach out to if needed. All on my list are known to be well-versed in firearms law. Some of them I have met in person, some I have corresponded with, and some I have never had contact with, but we have a third party acquaintance in common, and I believe that if I mentioned that association, it would increase my chances of becoming their client (if there was a need for that type of thing).

I have none of these on retainer, and they are scattered across the state, so the choice of which number to call could be a matter of geography, but depending on the situation, I wouldn't necessarily contact the closest one.

I've also been in touch with a bail bondsman. I may need their assistance before I need that of an attorney.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

I'm lucky I guess.....I would call my brother.

(Lehigh County)

I have the cell phone number of a lawyer that has served me on several occasions and also has connected me with other lawyers when their specialization was needed, stored in my cell phone.. When I asked him for his cell number he hesitated then said,"I'll give it to you if you promise to never call me on it." To which I replied,"unless I'm in custody." Then he gave me the number.

I also keep GunLawyer's office number in my phone.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

If you're arrested, or if there's an incident, the important thing is not to say anything until you've consulted with a lawyer with some experience in the field. This is the hardest part (well, paying for a lawyer and for bail, those are hard, too.)

Most people blow it within seconds of a defensive shooting, when they call 911 to report that they've shot someone. I won't rehash that debate here, except to say that IF you call 911, you say the minimum words necessary to get an ambulance to the scene. "A man is bleeding at 10th and Main streets in Capitol City, send an ambulance" might work. NOT "I shot a guy, send help, oh god, I thought he had a gun, I hate black guys and he was so scary, I hope he dies..."

If you're arrested, you may need help to keep your mouth shut. You'll be in the hands of the cops, there will be brief court appearances, bail arranged, people contacted. You can really screw up the case with unfortunate admissions or denials at this time. If you tell the cops that you DIDN'T do something that they can prove that you in fact did, that will be used against you just as effectively as if you admitted to wrongdoing.

So shut up. Identify yourself, give your address, but don't engage in conversation with the friendly cop who would really like another conviction to help his career along. He is NOT making casual conversation, he is NOT looking for a reason to send you home tonight. He wants incriminating statements, and he's a lot better at this than you are.

Any general criminal defense lawyer can get you through the preliminary stages. For trial, you want someone who knows your issues, and firearms law (particularly possessory offenses) can be a quagmire. DUI cases have their own RKI's, so do some other areas of the law. But you're not obliged to retain your final trial counsel in the first hour, you just need a safari guide through the intake process, to get you released before you put your foot in it. You can hire a lawyer for a flat rate to cover just those early stages, just don't spend all your cash on that part, you'll really need it for the trial phase.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Montgomery County)

My step father is a lawyer. So obviously he's "my lawyer" and my first to contact. I keep his numbers and the number of a knowledgeable firearms lawyer on the back of my LTCF.

I think it's most important to have a lawyer(s) versed in criminal law in your contact list. If arrested, you want someone who's going to tell you to STFU, keep the police from violating your rights, and get you bailed out. Afterwards, if you go to court, then you want to make sure your lawyer is versed in firearms law.

Edit.. Basically what GunLawyer001 just said above me. But what does he know?
    Last edited by tlgpa; August 23rd, 2010 at 04:22 PM.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages