Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow Accused Westmoreland County bank robber detained while applying for LTCF

Man charged in Ligonier bank robbery detained while applying for weapons permit

By Bob Stiles
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Thursday, August 19, 2010

One of the people charged last month with robbing a Ligonier Township bank in 2008 was detained by Westmoreland County authorities last week after he applied for a concealed weapons permit, law enforcement officials said.

Acting Sheriff Charles Moore said Lyle McKenzie Haines Milner, 21, of 1327 Woodmont Ave., New Kensington, sought the permit about 3:30 p.m. Aug. 10.

"He came in, the deputies did the standard permit process ... and we found he was wanted by the FBI," Moore said.

Milner, along with two others, were charged on July 21 with armed bank robbery, bank robbery and conspiracy in U.S. District Court in Pittsburgh. The others are Ricardo "Munch" Brown, 23, formerly of Pittsburgh's Garfield neighborhood and now in federal prison in Beckley, W.Va.; and Rahil Rahman, 35, of 856 Manor Drive, Apt. B, Union, N.J. Brown and Milner also are charged with weapon offenses.

They are accused of robbing the First Commonwealth Bank near Laughlintown on Aug. 8, 2008.

Indictments for the three were unsealed last week.

Moore said that after the discovery by deputies, Milner was put in the Westmoreland County jail on federal warrants related to the holdup.

"(The FBI) confirmed that they were looking for him, and they came and got him," he said.

Moore praised deputies William Roberts and Pete Wast for their actions.

"They did an outstanding job," he said.

Four people, wearing helmets to cover their faces, held up the bank on Route 30 about 9:30 a.m. and took $76,694 from teller stations and the vault, authorities said.

According to the indictments, Milner fired a shot at the Dollar General Store in Ligonier Borough, about two miles from the bank, "to create a diversion away from the bank robbery ... just prior to the robbery."

Brown pleaded guilty to gun charges and was sentenced in January 2009 to three years and 10 months in prison and three years of probation. He later was charged with offenses related to the bank robbery.

Milner is in federal custody. Rahman, who is not being detained, is scheduled to appear in federal court Aug. 25.

Another person, Sarah Blair, 34, of Pittsburgh's Sheraden neighborhood, pleaded guilty in May to a charge of armed bank robbery.

As part of her plea agreement, she agreed to help investigators. In exchange, she is not to be imprisoned for more than 25 years.

Default Re: Accused Westmoreland County bank robber detained while applying for LTCF

Can you blame this guy with all the crime going on.
    Tantric Shooting Team

Default Re: Accused Westmoreland County bank robber detained while applying for LTCF

Not a very intelligent guy...is he?

I bet that livened up those deputies' day when they found that he was wanted by the FBI.

I wouldn't think they would get too many folks wanted by the Feds applying for a LTCF.

(Allegheny County)

See? Criminals conceal!

Well, I guess this is one of the few cases in which a criminal DOES actually apply for a permit. The system worked, the perp is in jail. You know if he actually got the permit the Bradys would say,"See, criminals can get carry permits!"

(Pike County)

You can't fix stupid. Going in for a LTCF when you're wanted by the FBI is a classic.

(Northampton County)

Wow. Sounds like a Mensa team.

Chalk up another reason for county sheriffs to perform on-the-spot LTCF issuance, instead of having the applicant drop off the paperwork and pick it up 45 days later.

(Monroe County)

Wow background checks can work.

It makes me think of "The Simpsons" movie
    hey the gov found someone were looking for
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Berks County)

Reminds me of a question I asked recently:

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    If someone applies for a LTCF, and has a prior conviction that is prohibiting, can they be charged for trying to apply?

From the SP4-127:
    I have never been convicted of a crime that prohibits me from possessing or acquiring a firearm under Federal or State law. I am of sound mind and have never been committed to a mental institution or mental health care facility. I hereby certify that the statements contained herein are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. I understand that if I knowingly make any false statements herein, I am subject to penalties prescribed by law. I authorize the sheriff, or his designee, or, in the case of first class cities, the chief or head of the police department, or his designee, to inspect only those records or documents relevant to information required for this application. If I am issued a license and knowingly become ineligible to legally possess or acquire firearms, I will promptly notify the sheriff of the county in which I reside or, if I reside in a city of the first class, the chief of police of that city. This certification is made subject to both the penalties of section 4904 of the Crimes Code (18 Pa.C.S. 4904) relating to unsworn falsifications to authorities and the Uniform Firearms Act.
    18 Pa.C.S. § 6119: Violation penalty
    Except as otherwise specifically provided, an offense under this subchapter constitutes a misdemeanor of the first degree.
    18 Pa.C.S. § 6116: False evidence of identity
    In addition to any other penalty provided in this chapter, the furnishing of false information or offering false evidence of identity is a violation of section 4904 (relating to unsworn falsification to authorities).
    § 4904. Unsworn falsification to authorities.
    (a) In general.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the second degree if, with intent to mislead a public servant in performing his official function, he:

(1) makes any written false statement which he does not believe to be true;
    (2) submits or invites reliance on any writing which he knows to be forged, altered or otherwise lacking in authenticity; or
    (3) submits or invites reliance on any sample, specimen, map, boundary mark, or other object which he knows to be false.
    (b) Statements "under penalty".--A person commits a misdemeanor of the third degree if he makes a written false statement which he does not believe to be true, on or pursuant to a form bearing notice, authorized by law, to the effect that false statements made therein are punishable.
    (c) Perjury provisions applicable.--Section 4902(c) through
    (f) of this title (relating to perjury) applies to this section.
    (d) Penalty.--In addition to any other penalty that may be
    imposed, a person convicted under this section shall be
    sentenced to pay a fine of at least $1,000.
    (Nov. 29, 2006, P.L.1481, No.168, eff. 60 days)
    If Philadelphia only approves 92.5% of applicants on average, then there's hundreds of people getting denied each year. I imagine some of these people had genuine convictions that prohibited them. If they want to get these "scumbags" (a new legal term by Lt. King, apparently) off the street, couldn't they charge them for applying while knowing they were ineligible?

How many of their denials are for parking tickets, or because the applicant had a gun stolen in a burglary?
    18 Pa.C.S. § 6105: Persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms
    <snip>
    (c) Other persons.--In addition to any person who has been convicted of any offense listed under subsection (b), the following persons shall be subject to the prohibition of subsection (a):
    (1) A person who is a fugitive from justice. This paragraph does not apply to an individual whose fugitive status is based upon a nonmoving or moving summary offense under Title 75 (relating to vehicles).
    To me it appears as if they can arrest him for applying for the LTCF, since he lied on the application. Do you think this will actually happen? Does it ever happen?

I've seen arrests for lying on the 4473 / SP4-113, but I don't think I've seen anyone arrested for lying on the SP4-127.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast