Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Marlin Camp Carbine

Dont have one, I think they look intriguing. Any owners out there, thoughts, likes dislikes. They seem like fun, 9mm or 45 acp, 1911 mags or old S&W mags I believe. Never fired one just interested, let me know
    and to the dust you shall return

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Marlin Camp Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by brownman View Post
    Dont have one, I think they look intriguing. Any owners out there, thoughts, likes dislikes. They seem like fun, 9mm or 45 acp, 1911 mags or old S&W mags I believe. Never fired one just interested, let me know
    They were great little carbines, very accurate at sane ranges and mine was 100% reliable, Only downside and the reason I sold mine was it flung the brass a county mile I'm talking 15 yds+ atleast in the 45 I had.

(Allegheny County)

Great rifle. The reason it threw brass so far was the bolt spring. The stock 10 pound spring was too weak for the 9mm but they used it in the 45 ACP model also. If you get a Camp Carbine replace the 9mm spring with a 16 pound Wolff spring and for the 45 get a 21 pound wolff spring. The recoil buffers from the factory would disolve with gun solvent so replace the recoil buffer also. Both these changes will keep the beech stock (no walnut stocks) from cracking.

Great gun, very accurate, cheap to shoot.... Think of a Ruger 1022 on steriods.

(Lancaster County)

I agree with replacing the stock spring and the buffer, if you buy one. Do it BEFORE the stock buffer disintegrates while firing.... cleaning out the buffer pieces-parts is a pain. I received a used one by inheritance, and the buffer disintegrated after firing about 5-6 rounds first time out.... :[

The 9mm is a neat little rifle, but it isn't designed to handle +P, so be aware of that if you're looking for ammo matching with defensive pistol. I haven't fired a .45ACP version. The 9mm shoots kinda dirty, with a reasonable amount of powder residue etc. going down in the action, particularly with the less expensive FMJ range fodder. Disassembly and reassembly is a little bit of a pain, but you can download instructions and pictures from a couple of internet forums, and they are very helpful, including replacement of spring and buffer.

Alchemist77

(Pike County)

The 9mm is somewhat accurate if using a good powder out to 130yards. After that it drops considerably. Remember it is a pistol bullet. The 45cal is bulkier and heavier and therefore drops sooner and faster. it is known as a Porch gun. Small in stature and hits varmints and knocks them down. Cheap to shoot, especially if you already reload for your pistol.
    When I am traveling on the boat, I bring both my pistol and rifle. Easy to store (hide) and a good deterant when approached by the uninvited.

I use 10 count mags as I am not going to war no more (24yrs) and again easy to store while transiting leftist states.

I sent my rifle out out recently just to have the springs changed out and the break tweaked. Remember, the rifle is over 20 years and all my girls get some TLC.

(Allegheny County)

(Jefferson County)

I had one of each at differing times in life, both have been sold(still kicking myself). Accuracy was top notch, so was reliability. However if you are looking at one now you will want to replace the buffer because the factory units disintegrate over time.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!