Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Need to borrow a trap for groundhog

I live in the beautiful ( ? ) city of Hazleton and have a groundhog that is burrowing under my front porch... since I cant shoot the damn thing I need to trap it and move it out... Does anyone nearby have a Havahart type trap I can borrow ????

Would appreciate ANY help...

Thanks for looking
    Last edited by schr8er2000; August 16th, 2010 at 10:49 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Need to borrow a trap for groundhog

You have two problems, one a ground hog is pretty hard to get into a box trap, the second part is the legality of trapping them, I would contact animal control or PGC, chances are they will not be much help, but I have heard animal control do rent traps out for a small fee. I would not want to get on the wrong side of the Game commission or some Bunny hugger in the city counsel.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by schr8er2000 View Post
    I live in the beautiful ( ? ) city of Hazleton and have a groundhog that is burrowing under my front porch... since I cant shoot the damn thing I need to trap it and move it out... Does anyone nearby have a Havahart type trap I can borrow ????

Would appreciate ANY help...

Thanks for looking
    I tried for weeks to get a ground hog in a havahart trap. I finally harased it enough by blocking hole after hole. It left on its own. The G/H was under my shed. Flooding the hole is another option. The water will make the G/H want to stay out. Dont flood the hole while it is inside the smell will be disgusting after its dead ! The best thing to do is plug the hole while it is out. Farm stores may sell some other options worth looking into.

(Monroe County)

My mothers neighbor (PRNJ) uses a shovel to rid herself of these pesky animals. One good whack knocks them out another finishes them off to never bother you again.

(Bucks County)

Bananas! I asked this last year when my mom was selling her home, she had them under her shed and neighbors in the line of fire...

She's now using it a their new place too...

so far:

Mom 11
    GH Zero

(Washington County)

Broccoli works too, has for my dad, he has caught a couple.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

I've used apples before, they love apples, but yeah I too have had the smart ones that won't go in. I've tried guiding and using things to block things. Wouldn't go in. One day I came to check and the trap had a raccoon in it LOL. The customer didn't want them either, so I got rid of the coon, and got my conibears out. I nailed that groundhog by the next day. I have found that for farmland and rural use, that the 160 conibear stabalized over the holes and the chain staked down, is the best groundhog trap. I would stake them down as foxes were known to steal a dead trapped groundhog- and the trap. Staking allows foxes to eat it from the trap, but leaves the trap- and often the groundhog's head still stuck in it.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post
    I've used apples before, they love apples, but yeah I too have had the smart ones that won't go in. I've tried guiding and using things to block things. Wouldn't go in. One day I came to check and the trap had a raccoon in it LOL. The customer didn't want them either, so I got rid of the coon, and got my conibears out. I nailed that groundhog by the next day. I have found that for farmland and rural use, that the 160 conibear stabalized over the holes and the chain staked down, is the best groundhog trap. I would stake them down as foxes were known to steal a dead trapped groundhog- and the trap. Staking allows foxes to eat it from the trap, but leaves the trap- and often the groundhog's head still stuck in it.
    You cannot set conibearers in PA on dry land. Apples and a little peanutbutter have done the trick for me. just be sure to close the trap at night and open in the morning.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Luzerne County)

OK people.. thanks for the info... now all I have to do is get a trap and get to work... but I appreciate all the help on this... hopefully the little "critter" will cooperate and I can relocate him FAR away from here...

Thanks again

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by WCO,R.W.J View Post
    You cannot set conibearers in PA on dry land. Apples and a little peanutbutter have done the trick for me. just be sure to close the trap at night and open in the morning.
    You can with nuisance lisc, and I heard if a farmer is experiencing crop damage, the farmer can use them. Used to be ok in MD with same type lisc, but new rules= can only set at holes going under a shed or barn- pretty stupid rule considering rural farmland and soybean fields, and along with other new nonsense, I decided to not renew my lisc.
    LOL, I am a woman...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast