Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Hunting York County?

anyone ever hunt on these sgl's, 242, 243 and 83? Its my first year hunting and I was going to get out there when small game starts to "poke" around a bit with some friends that have been hunting for years, and when I find someone that deer hunts id like to try my hand at that as well.

So, is hunting in these areas good? Any other recommendations in the York area?
    Last edited by mike_yorkPA; August 16th, 2010 at 07:45 PM.

(York County)

Smile Re: Hunting York County?

I've hunted 242 for deer a couple of times, never small game. I hunted 243 for sm game and doves. No luck on small game modest luck with doves. Never hunted 83.

Default Re: Hunting York County?

Quote Originally Posted by geoman458 View Post
    I've hunted 242 for deer a couple of times, never small game. I hunted 243 for sm game and doves. No luck on small game modest luck with doves. Never hunted 83.
    so how was deer at 242? im hoping to get my buddy to go for deer with me so i know what to do, especially the field dress. Also do you cut your own deer up? If not where do you take it and whats the average cost of getting it all done

(Somerset County)

Dig around on the web, there are videos about gutting and butchering. I think the PGC has one.

Cost for butchering will depend on where you have it done and what you have done. Probably anywhere between $40-$100+

Dale

ok so not the couple hundred i thought it might be

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

You can always butcher it yourself. Depends on how fancy you want things. You can always just do roasts and ground. Roasts you can cut out yourself, and get a basic meat grinder for the grinding, however electric beats hand grinding any day. All meat should be deboned as well, I've been told that cutting through bones imparts something into the meat making it not taste as good. I did have some help with my deer last year. I skinned it, then partitioned sections out, bagged them, and then took them to a guy I know who first aged them in a fridge at 33 degrees for 4 days, then we had a cut and grind party. He knew how to do each muscle group out of the hams, and put some aside as roasts, the rest we removed the tendons and whatnot and made little cubes to put through the grinder. As to the tenderloins and backstraps, I removed them after skinning, cut the backstraps into sections, then bagged and froze them.

Some butchers, you can skin and quarter the deer, and bring these in, and save some money. This is also fine if you want them to make sausages and whatnot. There's a place in Leader Heights I've heard of that does hot dogs, cured deer hams, and other neat stuff. Don't know the name though. Some of my customers use them.

Mike- if you ever want to learn trapping methods, look me up! I find trapping much more interesting than deer hunting.
    LOL, I am a woman...

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post
    You can always butcher it yourself. Depends on how fancy you want things. You can always just do roasts and ground. Roasts you can cut out yourself, and get a basic meat grinder for the grinding, however electric beats hand grinding any day. All meat should be deboned as well, I've been told that cutting through bones imparts something into the meat making it not taste as good. I did have some help with my deer last year. I skinned it, then partitioned sections out, bagged them, and then took them to a guy I know who first aged them in a fridge at 33 degrees for 4 days, then we had a cut and grind party. He knew how to do each muscle group out of the hams, and put some aside as roasts, the rest we removed the tendons and whatnot and made little cubes to put through the grinder. As to the tenderloins and backstraps, I removed them after skinning, cut the backstraps into sections, then bagged and froze them.

Some butchers, you can skin and quarter the deer, and bring these in, and save some money. This is also fine if you want them to make sausages and whatnot. There's a place in Leader Heights I've heard of that does hot dogs, cured deer hams, and other neat stuff. Don't know the name though. Some of my customers use them.

Mike- if you ever want to learn trapping methods, look me up! I find trapping much more interesting than deer hunting.
    i would if i knew how lol did i mention this is my first year hunting? lol o and if i get anything worth while ill bring ya a head

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

If you get something you want mounted, contact me before doing any skinning. Better yet, bring the field dressed and properly tagged deer right to me and I'll skin it while you watch, and you can learn both basic skinning and caping. When gutting do not cut above the breastbone and into the brisket. Make no other cuts or anything in the shoulder, neck and head. The first caping by me is free, any deer you get after that- well you shoulda been watching and learning LOL.
    LOL, I am a woman...