Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Slow Draw vs Quick Draw

Read an interesting article in a gun magazine about drawing a concealed weapon. It has to do with how fast you draw your weapon. I will touch on the high points here.

He mentioned that a "quick" draw really may not be the best type of draw for self defense. Instead, he recommends a draw that is slow and discreet, not drawing attention to yourself as you draw your weapon. It made a lot of sense if you thought about it.

He goes on to explain how we are basically ingrained with the need for a quick draw. From Westerns as kids, Cop shows on tv, to IDPA and IPSC today. We are told that you need a quick draw to win. But do we really. Why do we practice quick draws? Because we can see results. Cause it is fun.

He points out that few, if any, gunfights ever were, or are, won based on a quick draw. Instead of concentrating on drawing quickly. You should concentrate on good shoot placement. Much more important than how fast you draw.

He goes on to say that he was told that his draw was extremely smooth and looked continuous. This is what he recommends we work for. A draw that doesn't alert your threat to what your doing. He doesn't even realize that we are drawing a weapon until they see the muzzle flash or is looking down the barrel.

Telegraphing your movements, are what any good gunfighter or street fighter is looking for. Both read your body actions. Especially those that signal pre-attack movement. He suggested that you minimize these movements / signals when possible and use body movement to misdirect or divert the threats attention like a magician. Assuming that a gunfighters stance will put the threat on guard, the more relaxed stance tells him nothing. The aggressive stance may be a bit faster. But the relaxed stance is less likely to alert the threat. Giving you the edge.

Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Taken from an article in Handguns Magazine. Written by Walt Rauch (Just to give credit where credit is due.)

Now we can discuss this.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Slow Draw vs Quick Draw

Was that in G&A Handguns? I think I read that too, I use the "close quarters" draw, I find it fast and accurate.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Read an interesting article in a gun magazine about drawing a concealed weapon. It has to do with how fast you draw your weapon. I will touch on the high points here.

He mentioned that a "quick" draw really may not be the best type of draw for self defense. Instead, he recommends a draw that is slow and discreet, not drawing attention to yourself as you draw your weapon. It made a lot of sense if you thought about it.
    I both agree and disgaree.

If you have to draw quickly, you're radar was down and now you're behind the curve. OTOH, nothing says that even in condition yellow you won't be at least "somewhat surprised" and drawing quickly may actually be necessary.

He goes on to explain how we are basically ingrained with the need for a quick draw. From Westerns as kids, Cop shows on tv, to IDPA and IPSC today. We are told that you need a quick draw to win. But do we really.
    Yes we've been conditioned. No we "usually" won't need a fast draw to win a gunfight but acquiring the skill is not a waste of time.

Why do we practice quick draws? Because we can see results. Cause it is fun.
    Again, one may find it useful in certain circumstances.

He points out that few, if any, gunfights ever were, or are, won based on a quick draw. Instead of concentrating on drawing quickly. You should concentrate on good shoot placement. Much more important than how fast you draw.
    Few gunfights are won by means of a quick draw but I would certainly not forego practicing the presentation. I'm not saying he is discouraging practicing the presentation but these are two very different things.

Shot placement is paramount in terms of terminal performance but bringing the weapon to bear against an adversary safely and skillfully is also quite important whether it is done stealthily or "fast and furious just in the nick of time".

This is what he recommends we work for. A draw that doesn't alert your threat to what your doing. He doesn't even realize that we are drawing a weapon until they see the muzzle flash or is looking down the barrel.
    I understand his point but this is all academic and theoretical. Are there certain conditions where what he is advocating would be an optimum response? Sure. The mistake most people make with regard to techniques is pigeon-holing themselves by practicing for a "short list" of scenario's when in fact the possibilities are almost limitless.

It's the "when all you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail" syndrome.

Telegraphing your movements, are what any good gunfighter or street fighter is looking for. Both read your body actions. Especially those that signal pre-attack movement. He suggested that you minimize these movements / signals when possible and use body movement to misdirect or divert the threats attention like a magician. Assuming that a gunfighters stance will put the threat on guard, the more relaxed stance tells him nothing. The aggressive stance may be a bit faster. But the relaxed stance is less likely to alert the threat. Giving you the edge.
    This I agree with in principle but you may or may not have the luxury of time on your side.

(Cambria County)

I think that something like this may come in handy if you were ever in a situation where suddenly your looking down the barrel of the bad guy. It is at this moment that a aggressive stance, and a quick movement could get you into trouble fast. Some misdirection, and a less obvious holster draw just may allow you to actually get to and present your firearm before the Bad Guy is aware of what your doing.

I have practiced drawing my weapon, by using the motion of pushing my betterhalf behind me. This allows me to turn my body a bit covering the draw I am about to make, The movement of guiding my betterhalf behind me isn't a threatening move. But at the same time, I am moving my arm back towards my weapon. My drawing of my weapon should be concealed by my body position. Now, suddenly drawing and aiming the weapon, hopefully before the bad guy is aware that I even made a move of this type.

I practice quick draws. I want to be good at it. But I think drawing to not draw attention is a good point, and is one side of drawing most of us have never thought about.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

Speed should not be a factor per se.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Some quotes from Miyamoto Mushashi, an undefeated 16th century samurai, come to mind:

When adversaries are excited and evidently are in a hurry to act, you behave as though you are completely unfazed, giving the appearance of being thoroughly relaxed and at ease.
    Speed is not part of the true Way of strategy. Speed implies that things seem fast or slow, according to whether or not they are in rhythm. Whatever the Way, the master of strategy does not appear fast.

(Northumberland County)

Like most things with guns and shooting... There is no one answer... Depending on the situation, different draws are appropriate.

(Allegheny County)

perhaps the best idea is to practice a slow discreet draw...

...until you can do it quickly.

(Lawrence County)

Rule #1: Avoid getting holes in you.

Rule #2. Make first hole in adversary.

Rule #3. Repeat as necessary.

Get it done however you need to.

Lycanfastcanbefasttoothrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Rule #1: Avoid getting holes in you.

Rule #2. Make first hole in adversary.

Rule #3. Repeat as necessary.

Get it done however you need to.

Lycanfastcanbefasttoothrope

ditto...that makes perfect sense, all the other advice was good too.

I'd say they both have their uses. Slow draw if you wish to protect someone else and the attacker does not notice you, if you've got the lower hand and can't risk a fast draw.

Very good point though, some people might not have thought of the slow draw. I can't say anything cause I have'nt put too much thought into it, still three years till I can legally carry.
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast