Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mechanical Broadheads

After 20 or more years I'm going to try mechanicals.
    Can someone recommend a legal variety in Pa?

I'm considering Wasp Jackhammer's 100gr.
    FUCK BIDEN

(York County)

Smile Re: Mechanical Brodhead’s

I tried the Wasp but have had better luck with the TruFire mechanical broadheads

http://www.trufire.com/broadhead_switchblades.html

They fly straight everytime and open when they are suppose to. Out of the several types I have tried Trufire broadheads are the mose reliable I've found.

Good luck, Eric

(York County)

Default Re: Mechanical Brodhead’s

pretty much every mechanical is legal in pa, as long as the ferrule is not longer than 3". The Rocket steelheads, and sidewinders are some good heads. I shot many deer with steel heads, got good penetration and blood.

This year I'm shooting Wasp Jak-Hammers(1 1/4 cut dia. 100gr), so far I like them, I've only shot one deer with these heads. I hunted with them late last year, I killed a buck that weighed in around 150-160 Lbs with these heads. The shot was quartering away and I got pretty good penetration, it hit the opposite shoulder (I only shoot 55 Lbs) but the blood trail was great, the blood dumped immediately, and he didn't go far at all. But thats just the one time, still it was enough for me to continue using them.

I have tried Rage broadheads, and I did not like them. The blades seemed to always be open and dangling, I would have to re-set them sometimes with the arrow nocked up and sitting on my bow. I didn't kill a deer with these heads, cause I changed them after just a few trips and worrying about them being open was just something I didn't want to deal with. But I did shoot a ground hog with one and it worked just fine.

Another head that I would like to try would be the Grim Reapers razortip or razorcut ss. They look pretty good, plus the razortip has a cut on impact tip and the razortip has something close to a cut on impact which would help us with some of the lost penetration that we tend to loose with mechanicals.
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

I seem to remember the PGC whining about mechanicals a while back because they needed to meet the 7/8 dia same cutting plane criteria at the time of impact, which basically meant to me that the blades need to deploy the moment the tip touches its target, and before any penetration occurs, blah, blah, blah.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I seem to remember the PGC whining about mechanicals a while back because they needed to meet the 7/8 dia same cutting plane criteria at the time of impact, which basically meant to me that the blades need to deploy the moment the tip touches its target, and before any penetration occurs, blah, blah, blah.
    That was never an issue, as long as the blades meet the legal diameter when open there is/was never an issue.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

Quote Originally Posted by WCO,R.W.J View Post
    That was never an issue, as long as the blades meet the legal diameter when open there is/was never an issue.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    FUCK BIDEN

I know mechanical is all the rage.
    But, you cannot deny the simple fact that a fixed blade broad head is ALWAYS open.

I see little reason to take the chance, but thats just me.

Archery is a challenging and rewarding sport, why not eliminate another variable if you can, becauase ethics are a very important part of archery?

Good luck this season.

Quote Originally Posted by beerhunter View Post
    I know mechanical is all the rage.
    But, you cannot deny the simple fact that a fixed blade broad head is ALWAYS open.

I see little reason to take the chance, but thats just me.

Archery is a challenging and rewarding sport, why not eliminate another variable if you can, becauase ethics are a very important part of archery?

Good luck this season.

Why?

Because I need a new excuse why I miss deer.
    FUCK BIDEN

I have been hunting with mechanicals for a while. I use a Nap Spitfire 100gr 3 blade to harvest my last 2 deer. The entry wound is awesome, and the exit wounds are amazing. The shot placement was perfect both times, they flew exactly like my field points and had pass through. I cant say anything about the blood trails because they fell and died almost on the very spot where I hit them, one maybe took 3 steps, the other raised up and fell where he stood.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Monroe County)

I've hunted with them before, I've had decent success with them but prefer the fixed blade, nothing more annoying then pulling out an arrow from your quiver and having one of the blades hanging out because the rubber band snapped

This year I'm tired of burning my money. I'm buying Magnus Snuffer's 100 grain, solid 1 piece construction, 100% lifetime warranty, no blades to fall out, no throwing away 10 - 15 bucks one one shot... as long as I recover the blade I can send it in and get it replaced for ever.

Can't beat that.

Also probably going back to hunting with the Legacy... I can't get the Guardian to shoot the way I want it to for anything and I've given up... anyone wants to take a shot at tuning it for me lemme know, otherwise its already been listed on AT and should sell (hopefully)
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast