Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Appleseed is coming, what should I shoot?

So there are a couple of Appleseed events coming to my area fairly soon. I'd like to get the Mrs. to shoot (I think she'll go for it), and I'd like to try it too. So my question is, for the ammo cost of me shooting my AR, which is 'my rifle', I can buy another .22 and ammo for the event. The local shop has a Rem 597 that looks and feels wonderful, and it has lots of followers. As most would expect, a solid shooting .22 bolt gun is already in the safe. I have total confidence in the rifle to shoot well.

Soooooo, if mama wants to shoot, do I let her shoot the bolt gun, and me shoot the AR, or buy and setup the 597 for her? The AR shoots like doodoo with factory ammo, but will hit a dime at 100 yards with hand loads. I'd have to buy brass to make enough ammo for an Appleseed weekend, unless I could reload there.

My gut says rimfire all the way.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Appleseed is coming, what should I shoot?

Your gut is right for the most part.

Last fall I earned my Rifleman patch at my first Appleseed. I used my Ruger 10/22 with a 3x9 scope, four 10 round magazines, and Federal 550 rnd package ammo from Walmart.

If you have the choice, I say pick the Ruger over the Remington or a Marlin. The Ruger is very easy to work on and has a larger aftermarket following than the others. Also the Ruger seems to work with just about any ammo except for the Remington Golden Bullet from my experience. Go with Federal bulk packs from Walmart and you should have no problems. At Appleseed, it seems like more than half the rifles are 10/22s. There is also a 597 in my house, but I'll take the 10/22 over it anyday. Butler Creeks mags and stocks work great.

A major part of your appleseed shoot will be fast, accurate, timed shooting. A bolt action will really hurt you and you'll probably be far behind everyone else on the timed trials - trust me, I did half a day with a Mosin Nagant. Also, in most of the timed shooting you'll need 40 rounds, so for your semi, you want enough magazines so you can have 40 rounds ready.

I would take the AR also and shoot a few rounds with it if they'll let you switch rifles. I did that and so did a friend at one Appleseed. Do the majority of the shooting with the .22, and when you're ready switch to the centerfire and apply your newly learned skills.

Have fun! Go with an open mind and you'll learn a lot. The more experienced you are the more bad habits they'll have to break. I went there thinking I was a good shot, and I am from benches and bipods, but Appleseed taught me how to shoot without those supports, and I look forward to going to another one.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Northampton County)

How about if you purchased a .22 conversion kit for the AR? You'd have a .22 that you are already familiar with and be able to shoot economical ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by smit308 View Post
    How about if you purchased a .22 conversion kit for the AR? You'd have a .22 that you are already familiar with and be able to shoot economical ammo.
    +1 out of my 11" upper my CMMG kit will shoot under a hand sized group at 100 yds with iron sights.

With my dedicated 4" suppressed upper , it will do just under 3" with my clone fast fire.

Just something to think about.