Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bedford County)

Default Updated PICS System

Good to see the PICS system has beeen updated.

A friend of mine is new to shooting and wanted to get a carry gun and license to carry. I told him how easy it was in Bedford County, and that I would go along with him. Today we went up to the jail at 9:00 am and we were told that the computer was down and he would have to come back later. He got his paper to fill out and we left.

We then drove up to Johnstown to look at guns at Gander Mountain and then hopped over to East Coast Gun Sales near Altoona. He picked out a gun he liked and told me he would be buying next week after he gets his companies bonus check.

On the way back to Bedford County he called back up to the jail, and they said the computer was up and running. We went back in, and he turned in his paperwork. It took over 15 mins before he asked me if mine took this long. I told him no, mine took 10 mins start to finish.

The woman behind the desk then told him that he would have to wait for them to call him. They had to do more research on him. It could take up to 15 days to hear back from them. He asked what might be wrong and she said it could be a name thing or that his social is close to someone elses.

Its good to see that the updated PICS system is so wonderful that it gets confused over people with the same name or socials that are close even with just one number different....even after you provide a Pa. drivers license number.

Neither of us are happy campers. Anyone else have a problem like this???

BULLS**T!!!

Default Re: Updated PICS System

If the clerk in the sheriffs office is on the level and they need to take more time to verify your friends info he could have the same problem at East Coast Gun Sales. That said, if the salesman has no problem with PICS I might just think your sheriff has changed his issue procedures. Either way I would expect an explanation as to the delay once his LTCF is finally issued.

Jack

(Bedford County)

Thats the next question he asked me on the way home....

If they clear me for a permit, will I have the same problem EVERY TIME I go to buy a new gun????

I couldnt answer that question.

To this point I have no idea what the problem was....they would not tell him any info on the situation, and would not give him any numbers to call to try to resolve the "problem". All they would tell him was to wait while they did more "research".

If you are denied a PICS check, or background check for a license....will they provide you with a reason for denial?????

My biggest problem with this is the story from the clerk about the delay... might be a name thing or social number thing. I was setting in the lobby listening to her every word.

When you apply for a license in Bedford County you give them:

Name, Address, Phone, social, Pa. drivers license number and so on.

The way she explained it, if two people have the same name and close info..the system will or might refuse it. What kind of stupid check is this "Upgraded system"???

I myself would think if you had two people, it would be able to pick them apart from the info given.

John Q. Doe social 000-00-0000 Pa drivers# 00-00000

John Q. Doe social 000-00-0001 Pa drivers# 00-00001

You would think this up to date system would be able to tell the difference in the 2 above people...and that example is much closer than what is prolly going on. I would say the info is seperated by more than just 2 numbers.

To this date, I have never had a problem with the idea of an "Instant Check" as long as it was speedy, and the law abiding citizen could get his gun while the criminal was turned down. After today, I lost much of my faith in the system.

Sorry to vent and rant....I'm kinda pissed here.

Any suggestions on what my friend should do, or how he could/should handle this?

Here is the problem, the information is from CLEAN and NCIC. One of the big no no's is selling a firearm to someone with a Protection From Abuse order filed on them. AND THERE ARE A TON AT ANY GIVEN TIME. Social numbers that are close, dates of birth, and similar names all pose problems for the PICS system because it is automated. There is not an operator sitting there running a criminal history on you when they run your info. IT HAS BEEN THIS WAY before the implementation of the NEW system. I went to a store with a buddy to transfer a gun, and they had to hold the gun until I was cleared. When it was my turn for an operator to run mine MANUALLY, they soon found that even though my identifying information may have been close to someone elses, I was 6'3" with brown eyes, not 5'3" with red hair and blue eyes. The delay sucks, but I don't mind. If the system did not catch these, it would be useless. Here is another news flash. On a criminal history, all SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS and DATES OF BIRTH that have EVER been given when arrested are reported. Many criminals use ten, twenty numbers. Names are an even bigger issue. Run your name and all of your friends names on a site like www.zabasearch.com and see how many people of the same name live in the state. People can also have a driver's license with incorrect information including the name on it. So, it really takes a HUMAN to explore the issue. Will it take 15 days? I doubt it. And, let your buddy know, that although I had purchased probably ten hand guns prior to my "delay", I have bought six or seven after and never again had a problem.
    Jules

(Bedford County)

Thanks for the time and effort put in to your post.

I hope that his PICS check will come out correct ,and that he gets his permit and carry gun.

With the info he gave me, we looked on the Pa. court records check that was posted on this site a while back, we found NOTHING that would keep him from owning a gun.

I'm just a little upset that with all the info you must give to get a License or a gun, the computer can't tell the difference between a criminal and a law abiding citizen.

I have had at least 20 PICS checks done...and all of them took less than 5 mins. this episode he is going through makes me a little concerned about our "updated system".

Again, thanks.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKMARK View Post
    Thanks for the time and effort put in to your post.

I hope that his PICS check will come out correct ,and that he gets his permit and carry gun.

With the info he gave me, we looked on the Pa. court records check that was posted on this site a while back, we found NOTHING that would keep him from owning a gun.

I'm just a little upset that with all the info you must give to get a License or a gun, the computer can't tell the difference between a criminal and a law abiding citizen.

I have had at least 20 PICS checks done...and all of them took less than 5 mins. this episode he is going through makes me a little concerned about our "updated system".

Again, thanks.
    I have a semi-friend that gets denied/delayed every time he goes to buy a gun due to his name being close to a wanted felon. He then has to go through a long and stupid process to clear himself, every time.

I think I read somewhere on this forum a while back about some kind of PIN number that a person can be issued for situations exactly like this. It is used as an additional identifier so that you don't have to go thru the hassle of getting approved if you get flagged every time. As I recall there is a space on the application form for this number? Anyone have details on this?

(Berks County)

I guess you guys really don't understand how good you've got it. On the east side of the state a new issue will take anywhere from 10 days in a good county to the full 45 days, and we're talking business days. 15 days is considered good in a lot of counties. 10 - 15 minutes is absolutely unheard of. Just my $.02.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

Quote Originally Posted by NineseveN View Post
    I have a semi-friend that gets denied/delayed every time he goes to buy a gun due to his name being close to a wanted felon. He then has to go through a long and stupid process to clear himself, every time.
    BUCKMARK,
    When I originally mentioned your friend get an explanation on the delay this is exactly the situation I had in mind.
    If I were being confused with someone on a list of wanted persons I would like to get that fixed. Imagine getting stopped by the SP and while the trooper ran you through CLEAN up you pop as "wanted"

Jack

(Bucks County)

I guess you guys really don't understand how good you've got it. On the east side of the state a new issue will take anywhere from 10 days in a good county to the full 45 days, and we're talking business days. 15 days is considered good in a lot of counties. 10 - 15 minutes is absolutely unheard of. Just my $.02.
    While I've heard that Montco and Delco can be slow processes, Bucks county issues on the spot.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast