Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Mounting Solutions for AK underfolder?

So I have a WASR-10 underfolder and I'm interested in putting a reflex sight on it. Problem is that with the underfold configuration I cannot use a side rail like I normally would. I'm skeptical about the replacement top cover with rails, and I figure the tolerances of those vary, thus leading to me having to rezero everytime I clean the weapon... which wouldn't work because I clean it after every range trip, so technically I figure I could never keep it zeroed. I have a quad rail, but I don't like having the optic mounted so far forward. I tried it out with an Eotech 512, and I wasn't exactly thrilled with the results, so where do I go from here?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Mounting Solutions for AK underfolder?

They sell a reflective sight/base that mounts unto the gas block instead of the dust cover very simple solution to the problem , theyre made in Russia especially for AK's but i cannot remember the name of the company that sells them here in the USA , but if i remember correctly the website is called www.kalashnikov.com or something like that , they sell everything for AK's or go to http://rusmilitary.com then look under optics

(Lancaster County)

You are correct, there is no way to keep the folder folded while utilizing the side rail. Unfortunately there really is no mounting solution that will actually hold zero, be comfortable, and be convenient--other than using the side rail.

The only things I've seen that do work relatively well are the Ultimak replacement gas tubes--but will it hold when you remove it for cleaning? There is also the Larue Irondot rear sight replacement. This is rock solid, but you lose your ability to use the iron sights which are adjustable for distance, while the Irondot isn't.

It should be noted that while an AK can certainly be fired with the stock folded, it was never intended to be used that way. The folding stocks are designed to make the weapon more compact for transport. Once it's where it's going to be used, the stock gets unfolded. With this in mind, using a quick release Russian style optic that mounts on the side rail is ideal.

They can be removed and will always hold zero. Their cost also tends to be comparable to all the money you will spend trying out every different aftermarket mounting solution on the market before you finally give up and beg for an authentic optic.

I have a Kobra collimator sight on my converted Saiga 5.45. What's cool about it is in less than 15 seconds I can pull it off of that rifle and put it on another one if I want to. While the zero won't be exact from one gun to the next, it's pretty close.

If you don't plan on shooting corrosive ammo, you could get a set of rails that replace the forend. It's easy to mount a reflex type sight on those and they do work--and hold zero effectively. However, if you plan on shooting corrosive ammo, you'll need to remove them to clean the gas system. That's simply unrealistic.

Good luck in your search, check out Kalinka Optics for a big selection of russian style optic solutions for the AK, PSL, SVD etc.

(Allegheny County)

I could have sworn that the Yugos made a side mount for their UFs. I never was interested so I never really remembered. You might want to do some search using that as a starting point.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Montgomery County)

I don't think a UF can have the side rail because I would imagine it would interfere with the stock while folded. I only keep mine folded for storage purposes, and always open when on range... I guess I'm stuck having to mount an optic on the gas rail. I wish I hadn't sold my Kobra sight. I can't seem to find them anymore, especially ones that aren't for the side mount.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by JB19Kilo View Post
    I don't think a UF can have the side rail because I would imagine it would interfere with the stock while folded.
    Exactly,

I know the picture is kinda hard to see but you need to make a small cut along the length of the stock where the scope mount is. This was taken looking straight down on the gun, seemed to be the way to get the point across.

I'm not telling you that you should do this because I don't want to take responsibility for any part of the stock that breaks and meets your shoulder.

As others have mentioned there are a couple different mounting methods now such as the Larue rear sight replacement and a number of different rail systems that hinge into the rear sight block and screw into the rear trunnion at the stock (which will only work on the quasi underfolders like mine).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Montgomery County)

You know honestly at this point I think I'll just go out and buy a full stock WASR so I can get one of those rails that attaches at the trunion. I saw how it comes apart to allow for the top cover to be removed without losing zero and I really like the design. I wish you didn't have to give up the front sight but there's always a tradeoff. I wonder if it has a new sight built into the rail maybe. Mine's not a quasi UF, I didn't know you could do that...? I thought an UF reciever is different from a normal one.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by JB19Kilo View Post
    You know honestly at this point I think I'll just go out and buy a full stock WASR so I can get one of those rails that attaches at the trunion. I saw how it comes apart to allow for the top cover to be removed without losing zero and I really like the design. I wish you didn't have to give up the front sight but there's always a tradeoff. I wonder if it has a new sight built into the rail maybe. Mine's not a quasi UF, I didn't know you could do that...? I thought an UF reciever is different from a normal one.
    The cool thing about the full stock WASR's is that they already have the appropriate mounting rail attached to the receiver. You don't have to buy anything other than an optic that mounts to it, or a mount that attaches to it.

If you want it to fold, you can get an East German side folding stock. I think I saw them on Cope's for around $50. They'll drop right into your existing receiver and won't interfere with the rail. If I remember correctly they also fold to the right--which isn't great for shooting, but should allow you to keep your optic mounted even when the stock is folded.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by mak47 View Post

If you want it to fold, you can get an East German side folding stock. I think I saw them on Cope's for around $50. They'll drop right into your existing receiver and won't interfere with the rail. If I remember correctly they also fold to the right--which isn't great for shooting, but should allow you to keep your optic mounted even when the stock is folded.

Its a Romanian one for about $50 bucks, the East German is $100 or $110 IIRC. They do fold to the right and can be shot that way (the stock does not interfere with the charging handle.) Also there are a number of different options out there for standard stock guns when it comes to folders (Wire folders as mentioned, Tapcos, Ace, etc).
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."