Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default UPS Hub in Harrisburg Refuses Long Gun Shipment Claiming It's Illegal

What a morning I had. This weekend I worked out a trade deal with another active member on the site who happens to live near Pittsburgh (while I'm in Harrisburg). With both of us being active members on the forum, and my being familiar with his posts--and he noticing my feedback--we were both comfortable with shipping our long guns directly to each other, rather than driving across the state to make the trade.

This is of course perfectly legal and is a common practice among forum members.

We decided UPS was likely the easiest to work with so he shipped first with no problems at all, as should be expected. I received his shipment the next day and went to UPS to send mine out today. The clerk at UPS, while very friendly, was totally ignorant of the law (and his company's policy) and refused the shipment. He believed that the gun had to go to an FFL dealer no matter what.

We spoke to two supervisors over the phone, both of whom agreed that they would not accept the shipment if it wasn't to an FFL. A supervisor on-site came out and made the claim that the shipment I had previously received was illegal and that mine was illegal as well.

At this point I had also processed another package for shipping and insisted that it be "unprocessed" so that I could ship it through someone else.

I was polite but firm, and with the exception of the supervisor who claimed my shipments were "illegal" so were the UPS employees. That doesn't change the fact that I wasted well over an hour trying to find someone who wasn't ignorant of the law.

As a private entity, UPS has the right to refuse any shipments they choose, but as a policy and practice they do not do so. Ignorance is not the same thing as a refusal based on policy. I am not pleased and will not do business with UPS again unless the company clarifies it's policy on shipping firearms to all of its employees.

After my visit to UPS I decided to go to the post office as an alternative--where I had expected to get more hassle in the first place. I was in and out in five minutes. The clerk was very friendly, we had a laugh over the incident at UPS and she invited me to bring any shipments of this nature to her any time.

A big thumbs down for UPS, but a big (yes I'm shocked) thumbs up to the Federal Government Employees at the Post Office. Who would've thought!

(Washington County)

Default Re: UPS Hub in Harrisburg Refuses Long Gun Shipment Claiming It's Illegal

USPS is fine for long guns... but a no-no for handguns. heck, you cant even have them locked in your car in the parking lot... which to me says it might be somewhere I do not want to be.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: UPS Hub in Harrisburg Refuses Long Gun Shipment Claiming It's Illegal

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms

Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment
    UPS accepts packages containing firearms, as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code, for transportation from and between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code, law enforcement agencies of the United States (or of any department or agency of the United States) and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency (or political subdivision of any state), and from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient and package.

The above is an excerpt of the company's policy as published on their website. Bold added by me.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    USPS is fine for long guns... but a no-no for handguns. heck, you cant even have them locked in your car in the parking lot... which to me says it might be somewhere I do not want to be.
    This was my opinion as well, and why I preferred UPS. Plus, I think we all give the feds enough of our money. Unfortunately, UPS dropped the ball and needs to be called out on it so that they can correct the problem in the future.

(Luzerne County)

As an FFL myself, shipping to an FFL, I've had problems with both UPS and FedEx "hubs... With similar situations involving "supervisors" getting involved.

I usually us the PO for shipments.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

I had a similar problem with UPS in Harrisburg and Chambersburg in the past. They wanted my FFL AND the receiving FFL. A couple of phone calls later they said it was OK that I didn't have an FFL, because they had the receiving FFL copy. Still wrong, but at least my rifle was on its way.

Don't you love people who don't follow their own rules?

(Berks County)

I'm surprised.

Learn something new every day.

I thought long guns had to go by USPS and firearms could go by FedUp or UPS.

I also thought long guns could only be shipped to a FFL unless by a state resident to a same state resident.

(Westmoreland County)

I just shipped a long gun threw UPS and ammo no problem. It was my first time so I wasn't sure of the procedure so i called UPS and they told me for a long gun just package it up and make sure that nowhere on the box does it state that it is a firearm it was really simple and the when I took it to UPS to ship the clerk was very helpful. They did however tell me that UPS Stores can not take firearms for shipment they must go to the hub.

(Lackawanna County)

I recently shipped a handgun via UPS, not a problem in the world; I sent the holster and a small quantity of ammo by priority; all I had to do was mark it ORM-D Ground, the inspector signed off on it, sealed it up, and off it went.

I generally dread shipping by UPS...they break about 15% of what i send.

It's too bad that you can't ship guns via Greyhound; they have been the most reliable shipper that I've used, and many times the package gets there same day!
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by twoeggsup View Post
    I'm surprised.

Learn something new every day.

I thought long guns had to go by USPS and firearms could go by FedUp or UPS.

I also thought long guns could only be shipped to a FFL unless by a state resident to a same state resident.

I always thought Pittsburgh and Harrisburg were in the same state.

But, yes... you are correct.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast