Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default ruger lcp worth buying?

Hey guys, so now I have a new challenge. I was between the keltec pf9 and the bersa thunder 380. Today I noticed the ruger lcp and immediately fell in love with it. Did not shoot it, but fit and finish in my eyes were amazing. I almost impulse bought it but could not bring myself to it responsibly. So are these guns worthy of buying and carrying or are POS's. I looked into it a bit and found a mixture of both. Although people were complaining when it first came out. What do you guys think of it? Remember the actual gun's reliability itself and not the cartridge it uses.

(Washington County)

Default Re: ruger lcp worth buying?

Have one, love it. Took about 300 rounds to really wear ain and cycle perfect, which I think is normal for any pistol.

Its the carry piece for when I really cant carry due to dress or situations like I normally would. its also my mountain biking pistol, OC with no issues in a retention holster, light as can be and still have security.

(Philadelphia County)

I have fired exactly 200 rounds through mine and have had exactly 4 FTFs. The pistol shoots well and accurately, if you can. The finish is nice, though I have a good bit of wear on the barrel hood already. It is very light, even fully loaded. It fits into a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster perfectly and draws from it well. The quality is there, and worth the $300.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by FCRPhila View Post
    I have fired exactly 200 rounds through mine and have had exactly 4 FTFs. The pistol shoots well and accurately, if you can. The finish is nice, though I have a good bit of wear on the barrel hood already. It is very light, even fully loaded. It fits into a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster perfectly and draws from it well. The quality is there, and worth the $300.
    This ^.

Great gun for $300. Definitely takes some break in to not only loosen the pistol up, but to get used to shooting with the long trigger.

Functionally sound. They run pretty much like clock work. The only issue I've seen was FTE here and there and it's usually on the last round (empty gun) anyway. The kind where you would be dropping the mag and the shell would get tossed when you pulled the slide back anyway.

The sights leave a lot to be desired, but it is an accurate pistol if you do your part.

In comparison to the TCP which I had a brief experience with... it's best of the bunch (P3AT, TCP, LCP). With fit and finish beating the kel tec, and basic functionality beating the Taurus. (Which did not work AT ALL for us, and was returned.)

I can honestly recommend it without pause.

(Monroe County)

I had the opposite experience with mine, mine worked perfectly right out of the box, reliable and accurate, i dont feel undergunned when it is all i have on me, nice little gun.

Dont worry about the scratches on the barrel/hood, all semi autos wear on the baarel/hood area.

The LCP likes hot ammo, i tested mine with magsafes on milk jugs but now i carry Winchester silvertips in mine.
    I have the older model with the light trigger, i did not send in mine for them to ruin it.

Nyman

Don't forget about S&Ws new Bodyguard 380 if you're looking for something in the size range of the LCP. I was set on an LCP until I read up on the BG380: it has a few extra features that didn't make it into the design of the LCP.

With that said, the LCP has had some time to be tried and tested while the BG380 is brand new.

(Centre County)

When LCP first came out, I was interested in it. But when I saw one for the first time, I just simply could not like one.
    It's too small for my fat hand, fast reload of it's too small of magazine is impossible, defensive rounds are hard to find(and expensive to plactice with to make sure it functions with the weapon, if you do find it)and sights are crude at best. I'd MUCH rather have PF9, or LCR. Plus I'm a firm believer of 9mm minimum for selfdefence.
    With that being said, gun itself serves it's perpuse well. As one uniformed officer at the gunshop said to me, you can slip it in anywhere. He said he even slip one in in his pocket of his swiming trunks.

All but 2 officers at my local police dept have one as their backup I was told by my gunshop last Saturday.
    I assume if good enough for my local PD, it's surely good enough for usreguler joe's use. But lime I said, I'd much rather go with PF9...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

The LCP is a fine gun but I prefer my Sig P238, even though it was $170 more than the $300 Ruger.

I have high hopes for the S&W BG though. Thing looks sweet. If it was 9mm I'd probably pick one up.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001
    ...You can join the "Pennsylvania Association of Pointy-Stick Owners"...

(Allegheny County)

Isn't the Bodygurad 380 quite a bit more cost wise??
    "A Man's Just Got To Know His Own Limitations"

(Washington County)

Just because it needs brought up every time someone says that the .380 isnt a good choice of a round... new defensive ammo pushed to 9mm velocities, making hollowpoints work as intended. Even out of those 3" barrels.

They function well, are lightweight, and will do their part if you do yours. If you want a better sighting option, there is the Crimson Trace lasergaurd available, which does not add much to the pistol at all when it comes to size.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast