Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Question Can a LTCF be used to process a PICS check?

I met a fellow PAFOA member at a local shop to do a transfer. All went well until the dealer noticed that the buyer's driver's license had expired. He then produced his valid LTCF to be used as ID, but the FFL told him he cannot use that for the PICS check.

We took the dealer's word for it, and decided to complete the sale at a later date, once the buyer had renewed his DL.

The more I thought about it, the more this experience rubbed me the wrong way. When I got home, I looked up the Form 4473 online; it doesn't specifically ask for a driver's license. Question 20a has three spaces for "Issuing Authority and Type of Identification", "Number on Identification", and "Expiration Date of Identification (if any)".

I wasn't angry with the buyer, since stuff like that can happen to anyone. I actually felt bad for the guy.

Anyway . . .
    Does anyone here know if the dealer was correct, or were they just ignorant of the facts?

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Can a LTCF be used to process a PICS check?

Sheesh talk about backwards! There are some states (believe it or not New York is one) where NICS is waived if you have a valid pistol license.

But, I would bet the dealer was incorrect in requiring a DL. After all there are some people woho just don't have DL, but have valid ID.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Centre County)

He doesn't have to have a PA DL to do the PICS (think out of state buyer of a long arm). The PA DL or PA ID makes it easier to complete the PICS but is not necessary. Als long as the person has a valid government issued ID, the FFL that bypasses the automated section of the PICS and talks directly to an operator. It may take a bit longer but is perfectly acceptable. I've done this several times with out of state buyers and as long as they have everything that there home state requires everything goes through ok.

Now if they buyer doesn't have a PA DL or ID, they may have to produce several other forms of ID and papers proving they are residents but that is also covered on both the federal and state forms.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

When I bought my AK, the asshats at Dick's refused my perfectly valid driver's license on the grounds that I had an address update card.

(Northampton County)

This really bugs the crap out of me. What, just because it's expired doesn't mean I am still me? What, did my name suddenly change into something else just because the calendar changed over? What, am I suddenly in danger of being deported because I no longer have legal access to maneuver tons of rolling steel on the roadways?

Jeebus, it's the legal access to drive that expires, not my identity.

(Lehigh County)

If it is expired, it is no longer considered a "valid" form of ID unless you are in the military on active duty.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Knight View Post
    If it is expired, it is no longer considered a "valid" form of ID unless you are in the military on active duty.
    Carried my "expires 9-1-1972" New York driver's license until I retired from the military in October 1988. The license wasn't even in the system any more. Of course, I did have a piece of paper to accompany it stating it was still valid. Connecticut accepted it as an out-of-state transfer along with my Army discharge papers.

Back in 1972, had one person in the unit with a 1941 Territory of Hawaii permanent license. When he retired, it was back to Hawaii and then, when he expired, the license expired.

(Lehigh County)

That's what I said. The licenses of active military personnel are valid even if expired. Not so for everyone else.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for all the responses.

Oh, and thank you to whoever moved this thread to the proper forum!! I apologize for putting it in the "general" category.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    He doesn't have to have a PA DL to do the PICS (think out of state buyer of a long arm). The PA DL or PA ID makes it easier to complete the PICS but is not necessary. Als long as the person has a valid government issued ID, the FFL that bypasses the automated section of the PICS and talks directly to an operator. It may take a bit longer but is perfectly acceptable. I've done this several times with out of state buyers and as long as they have everything that there home state requires everything goes through ok.

Now if they buyer doesn't have a PA DL or ID, they may have to produce several other forms of ID and papers proving they are residents but that is also covered on both the federal and state forms.
    What he said. Just don't try to buy booze. PLCB doesn't acccept a LTCF.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast