Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default What if scenario

I've often thought about what would be to proper course of action to take. I ask it now because I believe that it is better to have a well-thought out plan ahead of time that was put together with rational thought under calm and logical conditions rather than emotionally deciding on a course of action in the heat of the momemt in a matter of seconds. I welcome tactical, moral and legal opinions.

I work in retail. The neighborhood is starting to go down hill as evident by an increase in shoplifting. Suppose I walk out of the back room one day and see a robber pointing a gun at one of the cashiers.
    #1) I have no interest in saving the place money because the place is insured against that type of stuff.

#2) I am not interested in being a hero because I am too old to be playing 'cops & robbers'

#3) My main concern is for the safety of my fellow employees especially the ones that have a gun pointed at them.
    If you came out of the back room and were armed and saw a robbery happening, given the three things that I mentioned above (#1-#3), what course of action would you take, taking into consideration the tactical, moral and legal issues?

Sorry if this is in the incorrect forum but I wasn't sure where to put it. Thanks in advance for any and all comments and suggestions.

Default Re: What if scenario

Your three points are good, except that none of us should be playing cops and robbers. If he's going to grab the money and run (probably), call 911 if possible and focus on being an exceptional witness. I possible be ready to engage if things go south.

If the BG becomes very agitated or there are signs that his intent is more sinister (like leaving no witnesses) then try to maneuver into a position to engage. Does he know you're there? Does he know you're armed? Is he alone? Lots of possibilities that you won't be able to think through ahead of time.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    except that none of us should be playing cops and robbers.
    As I said in my #2, I have no wish to play hero because I am too old to be playing cops and robbers. The main factor is ...
    his intent is more sinister (like leaving no witnesses)

(Centre County)

This is a tough generalized situation, and your determination about what to do should be based on the facts of the situation, not on some pre-concieved plan. The biggest question is, are you in fear of life or limb for yourself or others? If so, I would issue a verbal challenge before shooting. Something simple like "STOP", or "DON"T MOVE", delivered with authority, and backed up with your weapon, should scare off most would-be attackers.

If you are not in an immediate threat to life or limb, I would suggest not engaging, calling 911, and waiting for the police. Hopefully, your CCTV will have recorded the whole thing and combined with a description from yourself and the cashier, the robber will spend a long time in jail for armed robbery.

A final note: Any time a gun is pointed at myself or a coworker, I would find that to be a life-threatening situation warranting deadly force. You don't know what the guy is going to do, and he has already demonstrated that he is not playing by the rules of polite society anymore. Everybody says that "No amount of money is worth your life," and that is true, but you may find yourself in a position where being compliant is the last thing you should do. And that's when you will have to make your choice.

(Northampton County)

Generalities are always tough. Situations are never cut and dry, etc. ad naseum...

In general, I wouldn't like living with myself if I had the opportunity to stop an innocent life from being taken.

In general, and in the situation you describe I would only think 3 things. Rule 4, front sight, COM.
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Pike County)

Just wondering to which extent the Lane Bryant Shooting justify immediate use of deadly force against the BG?
    Je suis déplorable

(Monroe County)

If he's going to grab the money and run (probably),
    Until he empties his gun into your co-workers forehead. Then it's not probably. It's not a game, and the end results are final. This isn't football where the linebacker will probably do the same thing he always does, and if he doesn't you might lose a few yards. If the guy holding a gun to grangmars head decides to pull the trigger she's going to lose brain matter. Treat all threats against your life as if it's your only chance to survive.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Longbow79 View Post
    Any time a gun is pointed at myself or a coworker, I would find that to be a life-threatening situation warranting deadly force. You don't know what the guy is going to do, and he has already demonstrated that he is not playing by the rules of polite society anymore.
    This is the primary reason for my question.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
    In general, and in the situation you describe I would only think 3 things. Rule 4, front sight, COM.
    Suppose his back is to you? Do you yell out and risk startling him which might result in him shooting the co-worker?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Knight View Post
    Suppose his back is to you? Do you yell out and risk startling him which might result in him shooting the co-worker?
    If it's self defense, you can shoot someone in the back. If you're ever forced to do that, you should shoot at an angle which would not allow your rounds to pass through the attacker and hit the person you're protecting. You should do your absolute best to take the person you're protecting out of the line of fire altogether by getting the best angle.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast