Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (York County)

Default Re: Seeking Harrisburg area starter course

Quote Originally Posted by R.Thompson View Post
    Another option is an NRA FIRST Steps class. It has the advantage that you are not expected to bring or own a firearm, or have a LTCF. It's a short, inexpensive evening class aimed at people who know nothing about firearms. My wife and I both took this course last year at PMSC (write up about it here http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/786...teps-pmsc.html )

From that she'll have a better understanding of the types of handguns available, how to safely use them and the absolute basics of shooting. She'll then be in a better position to make some kind of decision on purchasing a firearm, and progressing to a more involved class on basic handgun use such as those offered by the FIRE Institute and Insight Training.
    The InSights course outlined above is a basic into course where all equipment and ammo are provided and no LCTF/background check or references are required. It is intended for first timers and novices and multiple guns are available to try various styles and calibers.

Another option is the "First Shots" program. I believe it is sponsored by Federal and is promoted by the Shooting Sports Accoc. There were a few in my area in June and July (Freedom Armory). Not sure if they will have more any time soon or not. Guns, ammo, targets and protective equipment provided. These were FREE to attend!

Harrisburg Hunters and Anglers also offers a basic handgun safety/ into course every other month or so that is free other than $10 to cover the cost of the NRA manual (Firearm and ammo NOT provided). It is offered about every other month as I recall and is spread over a couple weeks in the evenings. Their website has all the info:
    http://www.harrisburghunters.org/dis...ety_course.htm

It looks like it is next offered in Sept. http://www.harrisburghunters.org/dis...ety_course.htm
    Last edited by Broncitis; August 12th, 2010 at 11:50 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12