Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Doublestar Star 15 M4 - $669

I don't own any AR-15's and I've never shot one. But, I wanna get one.

Is Doublestar any good? I see they have them on Bud's for $669.
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id=411537957
    Is that worth it or should I just save up some more and get a better one?

All input is appreciated. Thanks.

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: Doublestar Star 15 M4 - $669

I bought the HBAR DoubleStar carbine from Bud's and I love it. I'm not an AR expert, but it seems very well made to me (with a properly staked gas key and buffer tube, F marked front sight, etc). The upper and lower fit together with no play or rattle. I put a Magpul flip up rear sight on it and picked up some PMAGs. I have about 100 rounds through it with no FTF or FTE with PMC bronze .223. The barrel is marked for 5.56 ammo. I can barely see my target at 100yrds, but at 50yrds most are in a 3in circle. I think this carbine is capable of much tighter groups once I get more practice (and better eyes).
    Are we winning hearts, when we should be bagging bodies?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Doublestar Star 15 M4 - $669

AR15s are great guns. They are smooth, accurate, basically almost no recoil. Good choice.

I, personally, have never heard of DoubleStar. But I am familiar with companies like Ruger (Too expensive, but worth it), Colt (Great ARs), DPMS, and Bushmaster (Fantastic ARs), Smith and Wesson, Armalite, and the list goes on forever.

Look into those as well
    "If the individual can govern himself, all external government is tyranny" - Benjamin Tucker.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jabtime View Post
    AR15s are great guns. They are smooth, accurate, basically almost no recoil. Good choice.

I, personally, have never heard of DoubleStar. But I am familiar with companies like Ruger (Too expensive, but worth it), Colt (Great ARs), DPMS, and Bushmaster (Fantastic ARs), Smith and Wesson, Armalite, and the list goes on forever.

Look into those as well
    Double Star makes decent cheap guns, Rugers prices are higher than Colt (so dont buy), Colt is the standard, DPMS is overpriced, Bushmasters tend to be overpriced, Armalites tend to be priced around the same as S&W... the list goes on...

for the money, BCM is the best bet. How much are you willing to spend, and what purpose will this gun serve?
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Allegheny County)

I'll agree on the BCM, I have 2 of them and both are fantastic well made AR's. LMT is also a top brand AR, I have 1 and just as my BCM's these have been 100% so far. As for the others you mentioned, I would go with a S&W out of the bunch or if you want to spend the cash get the Colt.

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: Doublestar Star 15 M4 - $669

Doublestar is a nice entry-level/plinker rifle - I used to own a CAR-HBAR.

BCM A4 Middy is da' shizzle, however - and the price is right, right now! They're having a sale, and one of the eastern OH distributors is even a couple bucks cheaper than BCM themselves!

(Blair County)

Personally I think Stag makes the best ARs at any cost. It just helps that they arent expensive. Stag 2t is about the best deal going in ARs

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    Personally I think Stag makes the best ARs at any cost. It just helps that they arent expensive. Stag 2t is about the best deal going in ARs
    Please elaborate on such a wild claim.

ETA: Upon further review, the Stag 2T does not test their bolts, stake their gas keys, and they don't use an M-16 carrier. They also use a CAR buffer, which may not be an issue. They also do not use M4 feedramps on their barrels. That being said, there is an assload of easy shit Stag does not do that should reduce the cost, yet they are damned close to the price of a much better gun. Chalk this one up as a win for BCM.

If you were limited at cost, Spikes makes a significantly better gun than Stag for often times less. Look into them, they have a better understanding of the weapon and include most of the important features mentioned above.

If you bumped the price to $800, you can get a Spikes and it should be fine. If you can hit $1000, BCM all the way. Maybe even a Daniel Defense.

For the record, I am not stating that a Stag is not a good gun, just that they exclude way too many features that increase reliability. Why do you want less reliable?

I will PM you some more info to help you make the right choice.
    Last edited by orionz06; August 14th, 2010 at 05:00 PM. Reason: had to make sure the kid knew what was what
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    Stag makes a nice AR, but it's far from the best AR on the market.

(Perry County)

OP, Doublestar are fine. It is pointless to ask what is the best...(fill in the blank).. all you will get are a few people's opinions, based on their limited knowledge. Were you to know enough to state clearly what you expect and want from a rifle you wouldn't need input from us.

Buy one, perhaps wait a few months as prices are dropping, and then shoot it a lot, and if you decide it isn't accurate, or reliable, or cool enough then you will know better what will be your next gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast