Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Are PRE 1927 hex recievered Mosin Nagants any more valuable?

I'm thinking about picking up my first MN tomorrow and the local shop has a beautiful 1924 stamped 91/30 all numbers matching. I did a little research and it seems as though before 1927 there is very little information on production numbers and arsenal markings. I realize the hex reciever was phased out in 1937 and can find a wealth of info on all models from 27-37, But does a beautiful hexed 24 warrant my VISA asap?

Thanks guys!

Default Re: Are PRE 1927 hex recievered Mosin Nagants any more valuable?

Not in my opinion, unless it's a pre-1899 dated receiver (read: same category as black powder guns). It's just the older model, like the split-bridge receiver and the protruding magazine design. All of these features are throwbacks to the first generation repeating bolt action rifles in the 1880-1890 time period. The German Mauser 71/84 has the same bolt design, the Mauser model 88 has nearly identical architecture as the Mosin, with a few minor changes. The 88 had a barrel jacket, the Mosin has a cartridge interrupter (spring loaded retracting magazine lip). Big deal.

Picture yourself buying a car...the salesman says for a "paltry" fee they'll add a carburetor and points, classy stuff for sure. Who wants complicated fuel injection anyway, right?

And, it's less "hex" and more like half-octagonal. The Mosin peddlers have been whipping up the "hex" craze for some time, but the collectors don't seem to be willing to pay a premium for the old receiver.

When I see ads attempting to whip up frenzy over "hex" receivers and other moot details, I generally don't buy from those sellers. They're more concerned about a fast sale and less concerned about the quality of the product.
    Last edited by PA Rifleman; August 8th, 2010 at 01:13 AM. Reason: typos
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Check out www.aimsurplus.com. They have the hex receiver Mosins for $89.95. I bought a hex receiver from Aim about a month ago. I was looking for a Tula and got a nice one from them. I was at a gun show in Waukesha Wisconsin this afternoon. The mosin prices were all over the park. ranging from $80.00 to $225.00.
    Last edited by Grizz2720; August 7th, 2010 at 12:12 AM.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Lancaster County)

If the rear sight looks like this, it's most likely a (arsenal) converted Dragoon
    http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/0002.jpg

Don't buy a Mosin if your looking for a collector. Sure there is Snipers, pre-1899, etc. but they made 30+million Mosin-nagants.
    Buy a Mosin you like, buy one from every year. I have a 1931 Hex the first year after the Dragoon's. It's worth just as much as a 1945 roundie thats couter bored.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post
    I'm thinking about picking up my first MN tomorrow and the local shop has a beautiful 1924 stamped 91/30 all numbers matching. I did a little research and it seems as though before 1927 there is very little information on production numbers and arsenal markings. I realize the hex reciever was phased out in 1937 and can find a wealth of info on all models from 27-37, But does a beautiful hexed 24 warrant my VISA asap?

Thanks guys!
    Whether it's worth whipping out the Visa depends on price, barrel condition, presence or absence of counter-boring, type rarity, markings, and whether all the parts are matched.

This rifle sounds like an arsenal refurb, which detracts from its collectability. Should make a decent shooter, though, assuming the bore's in excellent condition and that you know how to reload for Mosin-Nagants.

However, had the rifle been in original condition (unfired or otherwise) collectability would be much greater.

A 1924 91/30 may have dragoon style markings, making it slightly less common than the usual 91/30 with the simplified Tula/Ishevsk star/triangle stamp. The key word there was "slightly" - because as 7998 has just stated, there were literally millions of these things manufactured for Rodina.

Classic Arms has examples of dragoon-era 91/30s for around $120-150, depending on where the guns were produced.
    These are the exalted gharāniq, whose intercession is hoped for. LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by Zet70 View Post

Thanks guys!
    Mosin-Nagants are a think of beauty, round receiver ones are a tad cheaper, in general at any reputable store expect to pay less than $150 for one, hex receiver ones are a little older, add another $30 to $ 50 bucks.
    For a sniper regardless of the receiver expect to shell out about $ 500.00, most rifles and carbines come with a straight handle bolt, the conversion costs about $70 using your bolt
    What is the real difference between a sniper barrel and a regular rifle? None really, the best pieces where separated for sniper use.

PA Rifleman is right really though, hex receivers are not a big investment as antiques, there are so many of them, even thought I have several of both ( yes they are that affordable) there is not really a difference other than the fact that the older ones are just that, older.

Mine sports night sights from glow-on.com

The range where we go is very dark, so this helps