Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Bushnell Elite 4200 FFP vs. Vortex PST FFP

Allright, I have pretty much settled on either a Bushnell Elite 4200 FFP scope w/6-24x50mm or a Vortex Viper PST FFP 6-24x50mm. The Viper is $130 more than the Bushnell and I like the MRAD reticule better than the Elite's but other than that they're about the same. No I'm not rich so, yes, the $130 makes a difference. I could buy a Ken Farrell 20 moa base and some XTR rings for that. Anyway, one of you experienced 1000 yard shooters got any input? I appreciate everybody's 2 cents on the last thread. I'm putting the scope on a new Savage 10 FCP, 24" bbl.w/muzzlebrake.
    BTW, if there are other Savage fans out there, I found an excellent Savage only website site. http://sharpshootersupply.com. No "www"...peace.

Default Re: Bushnell Elite 4200 FFP vs. Vortex PST FFP

I am not a fan of mil-dot and I've owned a few. I prefer the reticle on the PST much better. I have had to use the Vortex warranty and I must say it's excellent. I waited this long for my PST...I'm not about to settle on the Bushnell. Is the Bushnell a 30mm tube...it does not say on their site.

I do not believe you can match all of the features offered on the PST. I don't know what the street price on the Bushnell is, but my PST is well below MAP pricing.

SSS sucks...they never return emails or answer the phones. Get in touch with Kevin Rayhill if you have Savage needs/wants. His turnaround time is blazing compared to SSS and he actually answers his phone.

(Dauphin County)

I have the Bushnell 4200 FFP in 6-24x50. It is a 30 mm main tube. It is the most expensive scope I own to date. It seems good, but I can't compare it to the Vortex as I have yet to see one in person. I like the reticle in my Wotac better then the standard mildot in the Bushnell. I bought the Bushnell as soon as I read about it in Feb or March and so far have had no issues. I have it on a 223 bolt and the turrets feel crisp and repeatable, though I haven't dialed it much. The IR looks to my eyes like it goes from off to almost too bright in the dark. Maybe in low light it may be useful. Good luck with your decision and keeps us posted as to your choice.

Cool Re: Bushnell Elite 4200 FFP vs. Vortex PST FFP

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. I went ahead and ordered the rifle and was talking to the boss at the gunshop about the vortex pst ffp 6-24x50. It's listed at $899 everywhere I looked but he ordered it for me for$770!! I wanted the vortex to begin with (I really like the mrad reticule too) but the bushnell was $130 cheaper so I couldn't decide whether I wanted to spend the extra money on the scope or rings & base. He definitely made my mind up for me, eh! I got the viper for the same list price as the bushnell! I can't wait to get this gun in and zero it, should be alot of fun. I appreciate everyone's advice on optics here at PAFOA, y'all been a big help.

Hey aubie515, forgot to ask. You said SSS doesn't get back to ya, you mean sharpshootersupply.com? And what company is Kevin Rayhill with, I'll check him out too, thanks again...later.

I'm hearing end of September for the next batch of PST, so if you just ordered yours, I wouldn't hold your breath on getting one in the next batch. There are hundreds of guys that pre-ordered.

SSS= SharpShooterSupply. Google is your friend...learn how to use it...just google Kevin Rayhill and you will see that he owns Stockade Stocks.