Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Armstrong County)

Default Looking to buy my first Flintlock

Im looking to buy my first flintlock. I dont know alot about them so I thought that someone here could help. First off I want quality, not junk. I have seen and handled the traditons brand, I was not impressed. I am currently leaning twords a TC Hawkins, or Pennsylvania Rifle. Anyone have any input about how the two of them shoot. I have shot the Hawkins, but I really like the history behind the Pennsylvania Rifle. Besides the weight and length of the PR are there any other drawbacks. Also If there are any other brands that may offer better selections on stocks. I really like the exotic stocks ive seen on custom guns.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Looking to buy my first Flintlock

TC Firestorm.. Great muzzleloader with removable breach plug for easy cleaning. Although you can use pellets I have never had much success without adding some 4F. I now just stick to good old black powder.

What ever you decide on, make sure the rifle has a good quality lock mechanism and frizzen. That will make it smooth and sparky. That is what you want....smooth and sparky. An upper end T/C is where I would start.
    Jules

(Indiana County)

If you are looking for an off the shelf quality flintlock, then a T/C is the one to go with.
    I have had a few Hawken rifles over the years as well as a few PA & Kentucky long rifles.
    For hunting I liked the Hawken due to its barrel length, I found it easier to load than the long barreled ones and easier to lug around in the brush.
    If you want to go for the all buckskin mountain man effect, then go with the long gun.
    If you can find one, Austin & Halleck made some very nice guns, nice wood and very good quality, the company is now out of business as far as I know, but don't be concerned to much about parts, any decent smith can keep a flintlock going.

(York County)

I second the opinions about the lock being the most important part of any flintlock! If your gun has an unreliable lock (or slow fizz---boom), you'll quickly come to curse all flintlocks as worthless. On the other hand a good lock will have you the envy of all your fellow frontloaders. Those T/C rifles are very good out of the box, also take a look at the Lyman Great Plains Hawken in flint. Good custom guns can also be had for as little as $600-1000, and if you want a nice Pennsylvania rifle I'd say take a look at one of those.

I have a large Siler lock on my smoothbore Dutch fowler and I routinely outshoot folks with other flintlocks (even rifles) that don't spark as well. A reliable spark=quick ignition=accurate shooting.

Also, something else about muzzleloaders: you may find that a longer barrel works better. I'm a tall guy, and I hate the shorter Hawken type half stock rifles because when loading I found that had to stoop to load them. A true Pennsylvania rifle with its 38"-44" barrel allows me to plant the butt on the ground and still have the muzzle in front of my chest where its easy to load powder, ball and ram. You trade off is the ease of handling in heavy bush for the ease of shooting offhand of the longer barrel.

I'm not sure where your home is, but Dixons (sorry don't know number, but you can Google them) a few miles off of I-78 between Hamburg and Allentown, or Conococheauge Trading Company (717-352-7212) near Chambersburg both have really great selections of muzzle loaders and expert advice you can trust.

Hope that helps.

(Monroe County)

I love my T/C goes bang most every time... Keep fresh powder in the pan while your out in the woods.

(Luzerne County)

The two best production flint guns on the market, IMHO, are the Lyman Great Plains Rifle and the T/C Hawken. You can't go wrong with either. Benched, shooting BP and a patched round ball and iron sights, my GPR will shoot under two inches at 100 yards.
    For a bit more $, check out the rifles made by Matt Avance at Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading.
    http://www.avsia.com/tvm/

Pete
    Last edited by Pete D.; August 6th, 2010 at 08:33 AM.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Berks County)

Here is the link for Dixon's Muzzleloading.

http://www.dixonmuzzleloading.com/

Speak to Chuck and he will help you out.