Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default looking for a setup for sig 556

hello everyone! well im new into this sport as well as to this forum. but i just purchased a sig 556. and im out on the market for sights. i realy dont know what to go for as well as scope,laser,red dot so many out there!!! wow what r the choices. basically im looking for someone with this sig that has a setup that they r happy with. and what r the advantages or dis advantages for going with a laser or scope or red dot. tks guys!

(Delaware County)

Default Re: looking for a setup for sig 556

I have a Sig 556 and I have it set up with an aimpoint red dot sight. I like it for the fast target acquisition. For iron sights Samson makes a really nice front sight for the 556 which is meant to be used with an A.R.M.S. #40LP rear sight or #40L. All of these iron sights are of the flip up design. If you plan on long range shooting you may want to scope it. Depending on your budget you can go as simple or as crazy as you want. What will be it's primary use? by the way welcome to the PAFOA.
    Last edited by JIMMYC308; January 25th, 2008 at 11:23 AM.
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Philadelphia County)

I'm going to suggest an EOtech and a fixed front and rear sight. There's no real need for flip ups as you're supposed to focus on the target with the EOtech and won't even notice the sights

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    I'm going to suggest an EOtech and a fixed front and rear sight. There's no real need for flip ups as you're supposed to focus on the target with the EOtech and won't even notice the sights
    The Sig 556 has a dovetail slot for it's front sight base and currently only aurora industries is the only outfit that makes a non-flip up HK style front sight. Even Sig ships them out with front flip ups. As far as the rear setup there is a diopter style rear in the works from aurora industries but the samson flip up front sight is designed to work with the ARMS #40L and #40LP rear flip ups. So right now there is no non-flip up rear that will match up with the current front sight choices. Of course I could be wrong. As far as the Eotech goes it's a great choice too.
    Last edited by JIMMYC308; January 25th, 2008 at 11:23 AM.
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

I would say get an ACOG because it has 4x magnification and it would be perfect for longer range work or close up work.

I never owned Aimpoint or Eotech, but if I had to choose one...I would get the Aimpoint because of battery life.

I currently own a Trijicon Tripower and I like what Trijicon offers.

(Philadelphia County)

The eotech's battery life is still over 1000 hours, and when it wears out, you're looking for AA's or CR123's instead of button cells. The reticle on the EOtech is way better for moving targets and close quarters.

(Bucks County)

I have a 556 and from the start i went with a Leupold Mark 4 tac 3x9 with the plan to mount that scope on a mid to long range rifle i plan to put together. All said and done that scope went for around $1100.

I am now looking to build that midrange rifle so I am looking a new optics for the 556 and have come up with this.

The basic break down with the Eotechs comes down to weather or not you want to run night vision and how deep in the water you plan to go. Since i don't plan on needing to fire the 556 at night or the need to swim to my target i have decide on this set up.

Eotech
    512.A65/1 http://www.eotech-inc.com/product.php?id=9&cat=1

And just in case

Eotech
    3X.FTS http://www.eotech-inc.com/product.php?id=18&cat=1

Just found this info in another post as well

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/optics-46...2-a65-1-a.html
    Last edited by bigworm40; December 30th, 2007 at 06:11 PM. Reason: found new info

(Montgomery County)

I have seen that some of the Eotechs interfere with the charging handle function on the 556. It seems that the 556 does not like wide optics. I know this from first hand experience.

I'm currently looking at the Aimpoint CompM4 which takes AA batteries.
    Last edited by 625; January 12th, 2008 at 08:14 AM. Reason: added info about Aimpoint

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by altor View Post
    hello everyone! well im new into this sport as well as to this forum. but i just purchased a sig 556. and im out on the market for sights. i realy dont know what to go for as well as scope,laser,red dot so many out there!!! wow what r the choices. basically im looking for someone with this sig that has a setup that they r happy with. and what r the advantages or dis advantages for going with a laser or scope or red dot. tks guys!
    What are you going to use the rifle for?

What distances are you planning on shooting?
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Montgomery County)

Griffin-tactical.com designed a new Charging handle for the Sig 556. I just got mine in the mail yesterday..and it's awesome. It definitely will NOT get in the way, regardless of what optic scope you put on.

Here is the video on youtube for it as well....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVjcTE3iVVk

*Just wanted to update this thread, in case anyone does a search on this.*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast