Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Coyote Hunt

(Montgomery County)

Default Coyote Hunt

Hi folks, new to this forum and new to hunting. 39 years old and never hunted but have shot my fill of firearms. I am taking a particuliar interest in preadator hunting. I am learning what I can via DVD's and books on the sport. I currently have most the tools I think ie rifle, callers, camo, ect. Friend of mine lives in Wyoming county and my inlaws have a place in Tioga County near Blossburg. Heard coyotes are eating many of the doe up their. Do any of you folks hunt coyote and would you be interested in helping out a newb?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Coyote Hunt

There seems to be alot of interest in predator hunting on this forum,and thats pretty cool. I was approached by 2 different people here about hunting with me when they saw me mention it in a thread. I'm certainly no pro,but i have shot my share of fox,no coyote yet ,but i,m working on it. I would be more than happy to answer any questions i can,or maybe when the time comes we can all get together and have a forum critter hunt.That would be awesome.Feel free to shoot me a pm.

(Northampton County)

Hi PaNovice,
    First of all,WELCOME ABOARD ! As Jeff B said, there is alot of interest in predator hunting on this forum. If you scroll up to the top where you see the "Search Terms" box and type in "coyote hunting" you'll get enough info to keep you busy for awhile. If we don't hear from you in a couple days, we'll know you're still readin'.

Plinker
    My dog "Ruger" is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money.

Pray for our troops....and a little extra for our snipers.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks guys, I did the search the other day and have been reading the posts. Nice to see someone else in Montg county respond. I was up in the State Game lands on Ridge Valley rd the other evening (6miles from my house) looking for any signs of coyote. Fellow who lived near their says he has heard them but never seen them. I saw no signs (tracks or scat) may be a little to far south. I have heard Quakertown of all places has some. I never read anything about them in any paper local. Heard from a friend who traps that north of Beltzville lake there is a resevoir where many have been spotted. May take a ride up when it cools down a little. I have been watching some Randy Anderson dvd's. That guy can call and makes it look easy. I have two of his callers and am trying to imitate the sounds he gets out of em. Not as easy as it looks Cant wait for the weather to change, am very excited about this predator hunting. I got my furtakers license so I plan to hunt fox as well. Those I have seen in my back yard, but only once or twice in six years.

Question: I have read and heard alot about scent cover. I was at Cabelos today and they didnt have any skunk essence, (not that I really want to wear it) but people say you dont have to worry about the coyote circleing to get downwind with the skunk essesnce. Is this true? How about coon urine?

(Montgomery County)

I usually use a good scent killer, and spray down real good. Last year i bought a Predatar Bomb,which is a aerosol fogger but didn't use it yet. A coyote is eventually gonna smell you no matter what,so you have to be smart with the wind.Other scents probably wouldn't hurt,but i dont use them.Set up is THE most important thing.