Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default How much does a full auto H&K MP5SD cost?

looking at getting my first Class 3 firearm. I've always wanted an MP5 varient, so I'm thinking, why not get one with all the bells and whistles?

Default Re: How much does a full auto H&K MP5SD cost?

probably in the 18-20k range unless you get super lucky, a buddy of mine just got 2 non SD's for 13.5 each though so deals are out there.

(Bucks County)

There are different MP5 variants that you may want to look at, however, the most important thing you want to find is a transferable sear, preferably in a sear pack and inside an SEF or Navy lower.

With this sear, you can pretty much put in any host HK gun provided you have full auto bolt carriers in the gun.

I would advise not getting an MP5SD as your first full auto HK. The MP5SD will typically come with 3 tax stamps. The SBR host, the Suppressor, and the sear. The barrel of an MP5SD is ported which means you just don't pull off the suppressor and get a normal MP5. Also, there are a few suppressors that you can choose from. The HK suppressor, the Knight's suppressor and RDS also makes a suppressor.

I would start off with a sear pack and SBR HK94 with a trilug barrel or navy barrel. This will allow you to use any number of QD suppressors as well as having a non suppressed MP5.

You can also get an SP89 and put your sear pack in an MP5K lower. Then you only need 1 tax stamp for the sear. However, when you assemble and disassemble the MP5K, the front hand guard has to come off first and put on last, you can't put the MP5K handguard on the SP89 without being SBR'd and without a sear lower. Doing so makes that configuration illegal.

As I mentioned earlier, I would not go with an SD first. You'd be better off going the "normal" MP5 route and then building an SD. Putting together all the parts for an SD and having a good smith build one will take alot of time, maybe close to a year. If you can find an MP5SD used with all 3 stamps, you could go that route as well, but you'd want to make sure the SD is exceptionally clean and not have tons of rounds through the suppressor.

(Bucks County)

I agree with the SD comments above.

I will however, disagree and say that the HK family of roller locking guns are a good idea for full auto fun. With a Sear pack, you can essentially put it into an HK91, 93, 94, and SP89. Full Auto bolt carriers while expensive are not uncommon. All you would need to do is change out extractors for the different calibers.

If you have a desire to "get to know" the engineering of a gun, the HK family is great for that.

I will agree that an M16 lower is nice as well, but it's not as versatile as the HK sear pack.

If you're ready to invest in a sear pack and have some cash left over, you can build out an MP5 with not much more money. 9mm is cheaper to shoot, indoor range friendly, and flat out looks cool. I know "cool" factor is sometimes frowned upon, but hey, you have to feel you made a good investment.