Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: woodchucks

(Luzerne County)

Default woodchucks

I'm looking to purchase a rifle to teach some woodchucks a lesson. What is a good rifle for this ?

Default Re: woodchucks

I picked up a .223 by NEF a few months ago. It is a single shot with a bull barrel. It is as accurate as I could hope for, especially given the price. I have killed hogs out to 300 yards. It is ideal in my opinion. It is reliable, cheap to own & shoot, and accurate.

I have read quite a bit about lightening the trigger pull. I dropped it off yesterday to get it done. There is no creep in the trigger, it is just a little heavy - IMO.

(Westmoreland County)

I've been killing 'hogs with a .223 for many years. Dead is dead. A buddy of mine uses a 22-250. It's a great cartridge, but if your just going to use it to whack G-hogs, maybe a crow or two, an occasional possum and even a coyote out to 200 yards, the .223 is very effective and the ammo is cheap if you don't reload......and cheaper if you do.

I shoot a Thompson Center Contender. But..., like the previous poster said NEF makes a very good, inexpensive and accurate rifle. Savage also makes one in their Stevens line for under $300 in a bolt action that is very accurate.

Dave

(Monroe County)

i don't see why 22LR shouldn't work fine, i actually know a guy who hunts 'chucks with one. I'm not sure, but I believe it is legal to hunt chucks with rimfire guns, someone will correct me if i am wrong.
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

30-06 a .22 would be sufficient, we use a 22 for groundhogs and squirrels at my aunts farm
    Last edited by mike_yorkPA; August 1st, 2010 at 02:21 PM.

(Jefferson County)

You may want to reword that..

Its illegal to use a firearm to harvest or dispatch any fish, reptile, or amphibian in Pennsylvania.
    Last edited by knight0334; August 9th, 2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: cleared quote..
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    You may want to reword that..

Its illegal to use a firearm to harvest or dispatch any fish, reptile, or amphibian in Pennsylvania.
    even if they are attack and eating the fish that my aunt raises? along with going after the chickens and other birds?

Distance is the controlling factor. 50yds or less and a 22lr is fine 50-100 22 magnum, 50- 200 yds 22 hornet or 223 depending on what you have to spend, longer and 223 to 22-250 with the 22-250 probably out to 5-600 yds.
    NRA Endownment & NRA Pistol Instructor

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike_yorkPA View Post
    even if they are attack and eating the fish that my aunt raises? along with going after the chickens and other birds?
    Yes, even if they are doing that. There is a legal means for snappers.. ...an approved hook on a cord.

Put an approved turtle hook on a steel leader, the tie that leader to to a strong cord. On the other end of that cord, tie it to an empty milk jug(or to a tree). Use a really old piece of meat for bait.

http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/repamp.html

Additional Restrictions
    ALL Reptiles and Amphibians

• It is unlawful to take, catch, or kill a reptile or amphibian through the use of firearms, chemicals, explosives, winches, jacks, or other devices.

http://fishandboat.com/faqampr.htm#t1

What are turtle hooks?

Turtle hooks are the only hooks a person is allowed to use to take, catch, or kill a turtle with. These turtle hooks must be at least 3.5 inches in total length with at least a 1-inch space between the point and shank.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

If I were a turtle I think I would rather be shot than hooked. Hooking sounds like a slow and cruel way of dispatching nature's suction cup.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast