Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default What if scenerio...

You are at a gas station late in the evening. You go in to grab a drink and you see several youths harassing the cashier. You ignore it and grab a soda from the cooler and walk up to pay. The youths continue to harass her and then one of them looks at you and down at your gun and gives you a warning glance. The harassment isn't stopping and the cashier looks at you and sees your gun and says, "Sir, can you please help me?"

What would you do next?

Default Re: What if scenerio...

call the cops, nothing more i can legally do

(Wayne County)

Stay next to the cashier, and tell them to call the police. A couple minutes of intervention could save their life.
    The

A soda late at night? Wtf? You either drink redbull, beer, or water. I never drink soda after 5pm. As for the clerks situation tell here to call the cops if she feels concerned and tell her you will wait with her until they arrive.

(Allegheny County)

Tell her to call the police and wait for them to show. If she is to scared call myself. I'm not pulling my firearm on some punks just mouthing off. If I see a weapon or they rush the counter or me I would draw.

The cashier may be thinking you are police because of the gun. Inform him or her that you are not police, but that you will call 911.

I wouldn't get too close to a bunch of rowdy youths who are causing problems and being a general nuisance while OCing.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by cigarmanpa View Post
    call the cops, nothing more i can legally do

There is something else you can do..

PA citizens can make an arrest for a breach of the peace that they witness. If they become disorderly or violate a law of which is meant to keep order and peace - that opens your right to arrest them up. (Commonwealth v. Chermansky 1968, reaffirmed in Kopko v. Miller 2005 and in other cases)

Then under under 18.5.508(b) you may use force if necessary to effect an arrest. Deadly force only if your or someone else's life is in jeopardy as under 18.5.505 and 506.

If the situation becomes one of the felonies as described under Chermansky, you can follow that ruling.

Not that I would suggest making a common law arrest, but it is a legal option if necessary.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Policraticus View Post
    A soda late at night? Wtf? You either drink redbull, beer, or water. I never drink soda after 5pm. As for the clerks situation tell here to call the cops if she feels concerned and tell her you will wait with her until they arrive.
    You drink Red Bull at night, but are giving someone a ration of shit for drinking pop? Sugar and caffeine are a lot better for you than heart attack in a can.

Quote Originally Posted by electronics View Post
    You drink Red Bull at night, but are giving someone a ration of shit for drinking pop? Sugar and caffeine are a lot better for you than heart attack in a can.
    Not a ration of shit. It is a "What if...?" thread after all. I never said I drank redbull either. I guess my joke did not translate to text as well as I hoped. The main idea was to suggest beverages have a purpose. Water for thirst. Redbull for a quick kick to the brain and heart. Beer to get the party started or keep it going.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    There is something else you can do..

PA citizens can make an arrest for a breach of the peace that they witness. If they become disorderly or violate a law of which is meant to keep order and peace - that opens your right to arrest them up. (Commonwealth v. Chermansky 1968, reaffirmed in Kopko v. Miller 2005 and in other cases)

Then under under 18.5.508(b) you may use force if necessary to effect an arrest. Deadly force only if your or someone else's life is in jeopardy as under 18.5.505 and 506.

If the situation becomes one of the felonies as described under Chermansky, you can follow that ruling.

Not that I would suggest making a common law arrest, but it is a legal option if necessary.
    good info here....ok I'll revise my previous statement...there's nothing else legally that I would choose to do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast