Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Buffer Spring Lube Question

Not that it needs to be done very often, but is there anyway to lube a buffer spring in an AR? I see it's recommended by most of the experts, but I sure as hell don't feel like taking my stock off each time.

It wasn't too bad to take on and off till I put the Magpul rear sling attachment on it, the damn thing makes it real difficult to work on the stock because it sticks out just far enough to be in the way of my castle nut wrench.

Do I just have to suck it up and every so often take the stock off and do it the hard way? Or am I missing a shortcut here?

(York County)

Default Re: Buffer Spring Lube Question

Yeah, you are missing a bigggg shortcut. Take off the upper and you will see a small "detent pin' in the lower holding your buffer from flying forward (muzzle direction). Push down on that whille holding the buffer back a little and the buffer will come out with the buffer spring. Carefull not to let the detent/spring fly once the buffer isnt holding it any more.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post
    Yeah, you are missing a bigggg shortcut. Take off the upper and you will see a small "detent pin' in the lower holding your buffer from flying forward (muzzle direction). Push down on that whille holding the buffer back a little and the buffer will come out with the buffer spring. Carefull not to let the detent/spring fly once the buffer isnt holding it any more.
    This^^^^^^^

Damn dude, he just saved you a lot of extra work.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post
    [snip]Carefull not to let the detent/spring fly once the buffer isnt holding it any more.
    The buffer tube should be holding the detent/spring in place. Otherwise it (the detent) would blast out into the carrier cavity as the carrier moves back into the buffer tube.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

Wow. I'm feeling pretty dumb for missing that. I put it all together spring by spring, I probably should have known that. Don't tell anyone. Thanks for setting me straight.

(Luzerne County)

Don't be afraid to grease it up nice and thick. Don't overkill but a good dousing of grease gets rid of that spring twang.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
    Don't be afraid to grease it up nice and thick. Don't overkill but a good dousing of grease gets rid of that spring twang.
    The twang is the sound of an AR running in a healthy manner. It also gives you a way besides feel to know when the bolt hold open is activated.

The buffer spring requires very little lubricant to run properly.

(York County)

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by -JD- View Post
    The buffer tube should be holding the detent/spring in place. Otherwise it (the detent) would blast out into the carrier cavity as the carrier moves back into the buffer tube.
    Your right, don't know how I missed that one.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand